F-25A Typhoon - Oregon ANG

Last year I built a set of RAF F-16's, and Paul J suggested that a USAF Typhoon might be a good companion project. I agreed and here it is.

In the mid-2010's with the USAF's F-15C fleet aging, and the F-22 only purchased in small numbers, an airframe shortage loomed in the air superiority and air defense roles. It was decided to consolidate the remaining 'Golden Eagles' into the two forward deployed Fighter Wings at Lakenheath and Okinawa. That would leave the six continental air defense wings without aircraft. The Eurofighter consortium offered an appealing solution: partner nations (mainly Britain and Germany) could deliver used Tranche 1 jets immediately (thus providing funds for their own Tranche 3 purchases) with an option to purchase new build Tranche 3 jets in a second batch.

The the ORANG's 142nd FW was the first to become operational with the 'second hand' Typhoons, designated F-25A's. Later, Tranche 3+ Typhoons with the CAPTOR-E radar and aerodynamic enhancements would be delivered as the F-25C.

I'm planning on using the 1/72 Revell kit.

IMG_2130_zpsqptqacnw.jpg

Like many, I'm currently working on builds for the Battle of Britain GB, and this guy will have to remain on the back burner for a bit.

• Like 15

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...