Bf110G4 7/NJG6 Hptm Wilhelm Johnen 1945

Hi Folks here is my latest completion, the Eduard 1/72 Bf110G4 Profipack edition. Completed as an aircraft found by the Allies at Neubiberg in the Spring of 1945. I found several photographs of the wreck which showed that the rudders had roughly been painted in white although the Eduard instructions did not show this feature. Built OOB with only the addition of an EZLine aerial and painted using mostly Mr Color acrylics.

A great kit to build however the main supports for the radar proved to be problematic as they were supposed to be a butt joint. I had to drill and pin them after they parted company several times so they could be better.

IMG_1722_zpssjtiofvj-L.jpg

IMG_1730_zpsuh2pptd5-L.jpg

IMG_1737_zpsrrhjztfw-L.jpg

IMG_1754_zpsdgvjzfn4-L.jpg

IMG_1742_zpsuaemnq7o-L.jpg

IMG_1746_zpszoxam9g9-L.jpg

C0D27C60-F8EE-4D08-B495-583829B2D0EA_zps

Thanks for looking, I hope you like it.

Duncan B

• Like 31

Indeed that really is a very, very good build and finish of a Bf110G4, all the more so because it's in 1/72 - the detail is excellent. Just do a double check with your sources about the antennae, my understanding is that there's an aerial line running from both tail planes.

Max

• Like 1

Lubbly jubbly. I just bought this same kit. Can't resist anything NJG. Fingers crossed I can turn mine out as well dressed!

• Like 1

Superb model of one of Wilhelm Johnen's steeds.

Johnen's autobiography, Duel Under the Stars, is well worth reading for anyone interested in nightfighting and, in particular, in the mindset of a professional pilot, fighting for his town and for his family. Recommended!

Great modelling, Duncan B!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words Gents. I'm really pleased with the way it has turned out as it took me months and practice to be able to get the reverse mottle the way I wanted it.

Max, yes I did wonder about the twin radio antenna and even went as far as to drill the hole for the port side one (it's still there just in case) but couldn't find definitive proof that the G4's had them. I know that in general the 110's from the D model onward only had a single wire but some profiles do show the G4's with twin wires. The Kagero scale drawing only showed single wire, the other photos of G4s I could find didn't help either and the photos I found of the actual aircraft didn't show them so I went with the single wire. The hole is already there so if someone comes up with twin wire confirmation I'll happily stick it on.

As an aside you'll notice that it doesn't have the PR16 loop on top of the canopy but does have the FuG25 underneath, these appear to be other aerials that varied between aircraft.

Duncan B

One of my favourites. You have made a great job of it.

It's a bit amateur 'short run' not having locating holes for things - one would expect better.

Looking at photos, late 110's seemed to vary in aerial wires so i doubt you will ever know for sure.

• Like 1

..'reverse' mottle ? .. looks fabulous Duncan, you have a very deft touch with your airbrush, what sort of pressure settings are involved?

Rather than spray the RLM75 over the 76 I sprayed the top 75 then squiggled 76 over until I got what I was after hence my reverse mottle :)

Duncan B

Edit: forgot to answer pressure settings question. I usually leave my compressor set to approx. 18-20 PSI, I've tried lowering it but find that I get too much overspray at lower pressures so will increase it for tight mottling as on my 109s etc. I thinned the paint to approx. 30% paint to thinners but it is more trial and error than an exact science for me.

• Like 1

... however the main supports for the radar proved to be problematic as they were supposed to be a butt joint. I had to drill and pin them after they parted company several times so they could be better.

Ok, now please explain how they could be better, because I can't imagine that ... :lol: just kidding, this is really superb! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Ciao

• Like 1

Wow, now that is nice. I thought of you as a man of great wit, but hey, you're a talented modeller as well.

This is just awesomeness!

Cheers,

Mike

• Like 1