Airfix 1:76 Cromwell IV

Mike

He's at it again! :lol: The little lad was being a rather good lad at the last airshow we went to, so I bought him a kit to play with while we were away. It was the Starter Set of the Cromwell IV from Airfix, which I think is a new tooling, but as 1:72/76 isn't my bag I don't know much about it. I was careful to let him do as much as possible, and initially we were working with a few rough tools, and I've had to do some of the cutting of sprue gates off, but wherever I can I've left him to do it, just guiding him with the instructions. he's taken to it really well, and we've kept the sessions short to avoid him seeing it as a chore, but he has done very good work on the larger parts, which he did all himself, just getting a little bit bored toward the end with the fiddly bits. He's dying to paint it, so today I added the last of the small parts for him in the shape of lights, shackles and the mudguard sides. All the rest is his own work, and I've had to resist the urge to shave a seam, or fill a sink mark here and there... it's been difficult to do, I can tell you! :jump_fire:

I'm going to prime it for him next, so his kit paints will stick better, but he wants to use the brush supplied with the kit, so we'll have to see how he gets on :)

build1.jpg

build2.jpg

build3.jpg

build4.jpg

More news as and when he gets the urge to have another dabble :)

• Like 3

Thanks on his behalf - he's in bed now :sleep_1:

He's very good with following guidance, and surprisingly accurate with the tube glue that he got with the kit. If you ask him to run a line down the edge of a part, that's exactly what he does, and there's no dribbling or gobbets of glue when he's finished. He's quite amazing at times, but the main issue is his patience and attention-span. He likes gluing the big stuff that makes instant changes to the look of the thing, which is why he's dying to paint (the primer is on), but can't be bothered with the fiddly bits. I'm getting him into Lego at the moment too, so hopefully the patience will come ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice he's got your talent.. Quick question ho wold is he??

Ps looks AWESOME!!!

Noah

He's just turned 5. He's also inherited my talent for not finishing kits, as he's not done a tap since last I posted! :doh:

That looks just perfect, And he's only five years old??? i wish my son could build a kit that good. It looks great! Compliments to the little guy.

Hope he finds the time to paiint it. (just set up the paintstuff on a quiet day when you want to paint something. really works when dad and son do something together. Speaking from experience) ;)