Airfix Beaufighter Now Due End Of September 2015

DaveCS

Unless you have and I can't find it, I'm more than a little disappointed that you haven't done a WIP.

Sorry Beard,

It was far too quick for a WIP and due to my back being extremely painful again I`m stuck on the settee at the moment so was modelling from a tray and unable to move elswhere to photograph it!

My missus brought the kit home for me on Saturday, I painted the interior parts that night and then built it on Sunday! It really looks the part and the only niggle I found was the lack of the late style tail wheel, which may be on the missing sprues containing the thimble nose and tail strake? I`m sure that both kit decal options would have had the later style tailwheel and not the more basic one supplied in the kit.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

I had one arrive this morning and it looks fantastic. I have realised I have markings for an operation firedog beaufighter on a freightdog sheet. I just need to source the correct nose and rocket rails. Wonder if the Quickboost nose for the Haswgawa kit will fit the Airfix one?

Can't guarantee the nose as I can't find mine but the fin fillet will need altering - I'd cloned mine for use on other Hasegawa kits but have it on the Airfix one. It'll need cutting and shaping at the rear to fit the Airfix fin. Cheaper to modify the resin than the Airfix kit if it goes wrong!

Thoughts so far. The engines are a little fiddly, careful with the separate ailerons and remember to trim and sand every flipping piece to get them to fit. Make sure the fuselage halves are fully glued before adding the cannon lower bit. Overall, very impressed and I want more.

Hopefully, Harry is right about the possible Firedog one and it may have the late tailwheel.

One final thing. Those who like prototypes and whiffs (hands up me!) will like the fact that the way the rear fuselage is broken down means that a twin fin Beau is possible from this kit. I've already mentally earmarked my next one for this. I may have some spare Brigand fins somewhere.

• Like 1

One final thing. Those who like prototypes and whiffs (hands up me!) will like the fact that the way the rear fuselage is broken down means that a twin fin Beau is possible from this kit. I've already mentally earmarked my next one for this. I may have some spare Brigand fins somewhere.

That sounds like a cracker Lee,.......you`ll have to add a BP 4 gun turret to it as well, either up front behind the cockpit as trialled by 409 Sqn (at Acklington?) or further back instead of the cupola!

I agree with you that the engines are a bit fiddly, a bit like the Blenheim,.......one of the small front sections for the enginewhich contain the propeller `pin' pinged out of my sweezers and took ages to find,....a real carpet monster part if ever I saw one!

All the best mate

Tony

• Like 1

Sorry Beard,

It was far too quick for a WIP and due to my back being extremely painful again I`m stuck on the settee at the moment so was modelling from a tray and unable to move elswhere to photograph it!

My missus brought the kit home for me on Saturday, I painted the interior parts that night and then built it on Sunday! It really looks the part and the only niggle I found was the lack of the late style tail wheel, which may be on the missing sprues containing the thimble nose and tail strake? I`m sure that both kit decal options would have had the later style tailwheel and not the more basic one supplied in the kit.

Cheers

Tony

Apology accepted (☺) and I hope your back gets better soon.

Simon

Edit: inserted smiley face to show my poor attempt at irony.

Edited by Beard

I was thinking of trying to get this set to fit for a potential Firedog conversion but if there is a chance Airfix will release one in this configuration I'll build mine using one of the excellent Aviaeology decal sheets I've picked up.

That set should be fine but the fin may need some tweaking to fit?

Tony, I was actually tempted with the Bristol turret from the Blenheim V...

Looking at the kit breakdown, if one were to combine the wings with a Hallamvac Brigand and a lot of scratchbodging, you could get the early Brigand from it.

Yes,.....hadn`t thought of that but it would certainly make more sense. You could replace the pilots entry door under the fuselage with a clear bomb aimers window too and add bombs under the fuselage and under the wings,........tada,......Blenheim replacement pending the Buckingham?

Tony

Tony Butler shows crude sketches of the Type 161 variants - basically single-fin Beaufighter based with Hercules engines. The Type 162 (Beaumont) began similarly but grew from Hercules into a bigger wing and Centaurus (eventually into the Buckingham) when the Air Staff required 3 crew. Putnam's Bristol Aircraft shows a mock-up of the forward fuselage: it is very deep, presumably for a bombbay. The canopy could be said to be of Brigand type - given the little that's there - but the nose certainly isn't, being a traditional glasshouse. The Brigand came from the slim fuselage Beaufighter Mk.III/IV but I've not seen drawings of those. The Type 161 sketches don't look to have particularly slim fuselages.

Ayup...

Haha ! Payday of a sorts tomorrow, so I'm gonna order a Beau. Sod it ! AND build it as soon as it hits the deck !

Still want the Stuka very much too though !

Edited by Fea

Not yet the Beauf. but I got the He 111 (can't find the respective thread sorry) today, I didn't know the individual windows on the transparent nose cone were flat and not rounded, at least most in the kit look flat.

I didn't yet open the bag tho ...

Great kit anyways, the breakdown of the engine nacelles ensure precise depictions of the real thing.

Will get the Beauf in Saturday, yoohoo ...

Not seen it mentioned that the box has "1/48 Bristol Beaufighter TF.X" on the side with the bar code ,as well as the side with the 2 profiles is upside down, Is this a reprise of the Lightning without the tail plane?

Thanks Wonderland Models for posting the link to the solo Beau, just ordered it (and the He 111P-2).

LOL, added: Just had a reminder of time zone differences. I placed the order at 0844 my time (US west coast) and it was received at 1644 UK time.

Whats the problem with that, you are a long way away :bye:

Whats the problem with that, you are a long way away :bye:

LOL, no problem at all, just a reminder that even though the internet facilitates world wide communication as though the person (or site) is next door, next door can be on the other side of the globe. :D

...,as well as the side with the 2 profiles is upside down, Is this a reprise of the Lightning without the tail plane?

This used to niggle me with all the new Airfix kit boxes. Untill one day, holding a box in my hands looking at the boxtop picture, I rotated it towards me to look at the side. Lo and behold, the pictures weren't upside down! That's when I realised it was intentional.

I picked up this kit (and the Swift kit) last Saturday. Will not start building it until I have seen what aftermarket part are/will be available (some are already), and I have finished some of the kits I already have under construction. But I have inspected the parts and done some dry fitting to check it out, and I must say it is probably the bestfitting kit of all the new Airfix kits that I have seen so far! Notable is that Airfix have done away with the traditional "peg and hole"-guides on the fuselage halfs, and instead gone for small alternating tabs that fits into recesses in the opposing half. This works very well. There are also hardly any shrink marks on this kit, something that sveral of the new Airfix kits have suffered from (low pressure moulding?). The Blenheim top wing is especially bad. Nothing that can't be cured with filling and sanding, but nevertheless anoying.

• Like 1

This used to niggle me with all the new Airfix kit boxes. Untill one day, holding a box in my hands looking at the boxtop picture, I rotated it towards me to look at the side. Lo and behold, the pictures weren't upside down! That's when I realised it was intentional.

Actually Airfix have been doing this for about ten years now, as the grey boxes that preceded the current red ones also had the side panel that meets the top of the front "upside down". I think it's so that if the box is placed on a model shop shelf with the top facing out, the side panel will be readable without turning the box round.

• Like 1