Airfix Beaufighter Now Due End Of September 2015

DaveCS

Indeed it is... got mine today and it looks lovely. Looking at the way it broken-down (the extreme nose and tailplane/ rudder are seperate), I think it'll be easy for Airfix to make other versions.

Does this mean that it´s simple to put on an "radarnose" as on the Matchbox/Revell Beufighter and maybe we just have to wait to get such a variant from Airifx?

//André

RE: Building the kit

Many of the recent Airfix kits, I think, if you follow the instructions to the "letter of the law" may not be the easiest or best way to construct them. Lately, and I hate to admit it but it's a fact, I've been buying the issues of Airfix Model Magazine that contain the "exclusive" builds of various kits... Tiger Moth, Hurricane, Beaufighter etc. as they often offer some tips that I have found are extremely helpful in construction if not down right godsends...

I haven't gone through the Beaufighter article yet but I believe, if there are any construction issues, it would be called out within the article itself.

Cheers,
Dave

I see that the single Beau kit is now available yet there is no sign of the three which I pre ordered from Airfix several months ago even being dispatched yet,.....bit of a dissapointment really!

Tony

I also ordered three and am still waiting Tony. I contacted Airfix and was told that there was a mix up in the distribution which lead to some models being dispatched to retailers and none going out on pre-orders. It's a shame but it seems a genuine mistake.

I was told to expect mine next week. I have since bought the Dogfight Doubles package and the kit is very nice indeed.

Regards

Jim

I recieved two from Lowestoft today.. Very quick service by Mr Hannants... I only ordered them Tuesday evening. Also in the post I had a set of very nice Typhoon decals by Aviaeology of Canada featuring lots of interesting Tiffies !944 to Bodenplatte. Just what I nedd to get me out of the rut I have been in lately!

Does this mean that it´s simple to put on an "radarnose" as on the Matchbox/Revell Beufighter and maybe we just have to wait to get such a variant from Airifx?

//André

I'm far from an expert in such matters but it certainly looks that way.

I recently read a minimum wage salary survey. Roughly the UK pays around $10.00 to $15.00 per hour vs $2.00 to $3.00 per hour for China vs $1.00 to $1.50 per hour for India ( I don't have the exact figures and cannot find the article at the moment)

Are you?

Ayup Albert...

Absolutely not, and I didnt say I was. I was simply expressing my hope that someday Airfix's production could return here to the enrichment of our great British workforce. And by them I mean ANYONE who works here. I obviously made the simple naive error of thinking that if you could re home the paint and thinners section, you could the kits. But as mentioned above, Asia is indeed 'catching up' wage wise, and hopefully in the future it will be as cheap to ship from Tilbury as Shanghai. And I'd like to say I'm not one of those awful Jingoistic anti-foreigner types either.

Thanks to Graham for his exceptional Knowledge of the British Kits Industry, both ancient and modern. Awesome.

Beau looks Luvverly, Dunnit ?

I had one arrive this morning and it looks fantastic. I have realised I have markings for an operation firedog beaufighter on a freightdog sheet. I just need to source the correct nose and rocket rails. Wonder if the Quickboost nose for the Haswgawa kit will fit the Airfix one?

Mine arrived today as well. After a good inspection I'm pretty impressed. Surface detail is good, the engineering appears well thought out with one or two exceptions and most importantly the clear sprue is free from defects. On a negative note there are several ejector pin marks on the fuselage inners and on every single undercarriage door (right in the centre) which will need seeing too, one of my props was damaged right by the attachment point and I'm surprised to see the requirement to paint invasion stripes and SEAC theatre stripes instead of them being provided as decals. I know that most will paint them but it would have been nice to have the choice.

Just minor nitpicks really and I can't wait to get started on it.

Regards

Tom

• Like 1

If you contact Airfix, they'll replace the part.

I had a broken prop on a Blenheim I and they sent me a replacement.

Luckily it's not snapped clean off so a quick dab of glue will see it right, I only mentioned it in light of the recent QC issues that have been noted as it appears that things still aren't 100%, I've used the Airfix spares service in the past and agree that they are normally excellent.

Regards

Tom

I had one arrive this morning and it looks fantastic. I have realised I have markings for an operation firedog beaufighter on a freightdog sheet. I just need to source the correct nose and rocket rails. Wonder if the Quickboost nose for the Haswgawa kit will fit the Airfix one?

Kev,

I strongly suspect a later boxing will include a Firedog option. Sprues are labelled A to D, with the clear parts on sprue F and there are 2 flashed over holes on the lower wing parts in roughly the right place for the Firedog style rocket rails. Airfix did a similar thing with the new Harrier GR1/GR3/AV-8A, I would therefore expect sprue E when it appears to include a dorsal fin extension, radar nose and a different type of rocket rail that would enable a Firedog Beau to be built OOB.

Regards,

Mark.

• Like 3

Kev,

I strongly suspect a later boxing will include a Firedog option. Sprues are labelled A to D, with the clear parts on sprue F and there are 2 flashed over holes on the lower wing parts in roughly the right place for the Firedog style rocket rails. Airfix did a similar thing with the new Harrier GR1/GR3/AV-8A, I would therefore expect sprue E when it appears to include a dorsal fin extension, radar nose and a different type of rocket rail that would enable a Firedog Beau to be built OOB.

Regards,

Mark.

I do hope so as I`ve wanted to put those rocket rails on a Beaufighter and an Italian theatre RAF Mustang for a long time now!!

As my three pre ordered Beau`s have still not been posted yet by Airfix I`ve cancelled the order because my LHS has them in stock now,.......why pre order something months in advance only for the kits to go on general sale beforehand? Poor Do!!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Kev,

Regards,

Mark.

The radar nose mentioned here... ...is this the same one that comes with the old Matchbox/Revell kit or is it another type of radar nose?

//André

Edited by Andre B

I'm presuming it's the same as the Matchbox one. This is only my best guess based on the parts breakdown and the various flashed over holes, I have no insider knowledge of what Airfix have up their sleeve!

Mark

I'm presuming it's the same as the Matchbox one. This is only my best guess based on the parts breakdown and the various flashed over holes, I have no insider knowledge of what Airfix have up their sleeve!

Mark

I don't knew of any other types of noses for Beufighter. Or is there more types (not just concerning different antennas). Ju 88 has a lot more faces in that case. Espacially the Ju 88G family...

/André

The radar nose mentioned here... ...is this the same one that comes with the old Matchbox/Revell kit or is it another type of radar nose?

//Andre

Yes it is Andre - also known as the 'thimble' nose due to its passing resemblance to the sewing implement.

Regards

Tom

You'd also need the fin with the dorsal extension for a Firedog aircraft.

Wez

My thoughts too. After being burnt by the Hurricane I'll see how others get on with it before I part with my cash.

John.

The proof will be in the building as there have been some QC issues with recent Airfix releases. Hopefully it will be a nice kit to build

I built my first Airfix Beau yesterday and was very impressed with it indeed,......now which scheme do I choose?

Cheers

Tony

Unless you have and I can't find it, I'm more than a little disappointed that you haven't done a WIP.

Went to collect mine from the Reading delivery office today, and very impressed. My one niggle is that the engines aren't quite as crisp, with less cylinder detail, than on other recent releases. Hardly much of a bind, I'll grab some resin Hercules. Otherwise, a superb kit!

• Like 2