Airfix Beaufighter Now Due End Of September 2015

DaveCS

I dropped in to my LMS today and he had two of the Dog Fight Doubles Beaufighter TF.X / FW190A-8 in the big box of Airfix goodies he was unpacking. He even let me have a rummage! However, as my line of credit for Beaufighters is already at its limit, I declined buying the DFD boxing just to get an earlier Beau with markings in which I'm not interested.

Irrelevant to this thread, perhaps, but I did walk away with an He111P. It were a good day!

regards,

Martin

Not sure what you mean by an earlier one: it is still a Mk.X and I think the markings may even be later than the D-Day ones. However, I do note that in the artwork it has no carriers for torpedo, bombs or rockets which does pose a question or two. Could it come without any of these things in the box? I'd be surprised...

The new Beaufighter, Beaufighter/Fw 190 Dogfight Double and the He 111P have all just arrived in the UK and Airfix are processing all the orders from retailers at the moment.

As Martin noted above the Heinkel He 111P and the Beaufighter/Fw190 Dogfight Double have already reached the shops and the Beaufighters will be sent out in the next couple of days.

We understand that the reason that the Airfix online shop is showing the available date as 23rd September is that all the Beafighters from this delivery have been allocated and the online shop will not get kits to sell until the next batch arrives in September.

By the way the Whitleys are due to arrive in the UK before the end of August.

I tend to agree that unforeseen circumstances could be a factor in delaying the actual release date. There have been occasions where I've ordered other products only to be told of a delay due to the factory and perhaps as mentioned it is the factory which has affected Airfix's release dates. Not really a problem for me as I have a stash to reduce and I usually wait for new releases to appear in a sale to get them at a cheaper price.

Ayup Graham...

I couldn't see Airfix NOT producing a MK10 without Torpedo cradles. maybe there are simple skinned-over locating holes to bodge out ? Can a lucky DFD owner let us know pls ? scan of the Destructions maybe ?

The Beaufighter parts in the Dogfight Double set have a torpedo and 8 rockets and rails although there is no mention of using these parts in the instructions for the 144 Squadron option in the set.

https://www.wonderlandmodels.com/products/airfix-172-bristol-beaufighter-vs-focke-wulf-fw-19/

Edited by Wonderland Models

No, I wasn't doubting that the weapons were tooled for this kit, but if we look at other recent Airfix releases there's an release with everything, including a sprue that's missing from more basic releases. If you look at the other Beaufighter artwork you can see the support struts for the torpedo, but these are absent on the artwork shown for the DD. I strongly suspect that this is simply an artist's error, but it could have been that the weapons sprue is missing. Thanks to Wonderland, we know that it is not. Now was 144 Sq torpedoes or rockets - or even bombs?

Edited by Graham Boak

Now was 144 Sq torpedoes or rockets - or even bombs?

According to the ever reliable Wikipedia, torpedoes until January 1945 when it went over to a flak-supression role.

Weren't rockets and cannon used for the later role?

I was tempted, I do want the Beaufighter even though I already have a few Hasegawa Beaus, However, with the release of Eduard's Fw 190 in the near future (and already having a couple of the Airfix kits) I decided I could wait for the 'just plain Beaufighter' release. I'll flog the Hasegawa Beaufighters at our annual club show :winkgrin:

Following up from our post yesterday, the basic Beaufighter kit A04019 has just arrived in stock here today.

The kit has 2 options,

1. NE829/PL-J of 144 Sqn at Banff in October 1944 for which Airfix suggest using the torpedo.

2. RD367/H of 27 Sqn in Burma June 1945 for which Airfix suggest using the 8 x rocket armament

Edited by Wonderland Models

Ayup Graham...

According to Wiki, 144 sqn only used their cannons and guns. Talk about missing a trick. The other Squadrons used 60lb rockets. what a screw-up from start to finish. (no pun intended).

Edited by Fea

I'm happy to report that the Beaufighter has arrived in Truro as well, along with the Heinkel and the Dogfight Double.

And VERY nice it looks as well. I might just have to take one home with me unless you lot get them all first.

Edited by T7 Models

Thanks Wonderland Models for posting the link to the solo Beau, just ordered it (and the He 111P-2).

LOL, added: Just had a reminder of time zone differences. I placed the order at 0844 my time (US west coast) and it was received at 1644 UK time.

Edited by Chuck1945

Excellent.. they're in sooner than was expected... :)

Cheers,

Dave

Got mine today from my usual supplier in the Pennines. Looks very nice and with a new sprue they could cover the late version with the fin extension (the kit fin is separate) and the ASV radar nose. So keeping my fingers crossed for a new boxing with some different bits. Airfix are really coming up with good British built or operated aircraft in 72nd. Still got the Whitley, Wildcat, Sea King, Shackleton and BE2c to look forward to. What they need to do nest is downscale the Sea Vixen and Javelin and do a Venom.

• Like 1