LED photographic lighting - any recommendations?

rmcclure

Hi All,

I have some large studio lights that work perfectly well but they're relatively fragile old things and putting them together each time is getting tricky so I'd like to replace them with LED lamps. Does anyone out there have any sensibly (i.e. sub £200) priced recommendations for a pair of LED lamps? I've looked at a couple of photographic forums that I belong to but the suggestions there are all for semi-pro kit at a price tag I can't run to, especially when I mainly use them for models anyway. I know there are those little lighting booths out there for pennies but I find them a little too limiting and prefer independent lights with backdrops of my own making.

I've seen lots of pretty cheap stuff on Amazon but it would be nice to know if some of you have real world experience of this kit.

Thanks all and I appreciate you taking a look.

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Duncan,

That's very similar to my current lighting set up and if I had the space to leave it in place I wouldn't think about replacement but I've found that multiple putting up and taking down is starting to take its toll on some of the weaker areas. Hence the reason for considering LED panels that are simpler and more robust.

Like a pair of these - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Neewer-LED308C-Dimmable-Channel-Wireless/dp/B00S0V9NKO/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1439198916&sr=8-9&keywords=led+studio+lighting%C2%A0

Cheers,

Roger

• 2 weeks later...

If I'm not too late to this thread. :)

I've had to purchase some cheaper LED panels for video work, which isn't to the same level as my stills work so budget was a priority, along with actually getting to the end of a shoot without failing.

I've found that at this end of the market, the LED lights cannot be considered robust, which is possibly why you were pointed to more durable and expensive gear. That said, if you're careful this stuff can last a while.

My experience stretches to this cheap and cheerful panel here

The advantage is they are small, cheap enough to buy a tonne of them and you can use AA rechargeables in them if you want - six per light. You can't change the colour temperature which I think you can with the set you were looking at (at twice the price). Of course with your preference you do get a battery with it and wireless. :) I don't see why you couldn't happily use a couple of those as they certainly look pretty good for the discounted price. Just don't expect them to be that durable. The body will be all plastic, and you may have to watch how the battery clips in as that is a weak point on the set I use and describe next.

Link Here

This Aputure set is bigger, has two batteries and wireless. As well as the clip for the battery looking a little weak (no failure yet), the power cable is also a bit cheap and I always tape it up so it doesn't hang. These might be a bit big for just models and your smaller set should be plenty. To give you an idea of the power, I bought two of these Aputure units for the time-lapse element of this shoot HERE with Tom Daley (name dropping - yeah shoot me! :D:shoot: ) You can see even see them in use and they were each set to about 60% power.

Hope that helps. :speak_cool:

• Like 1

Hi Jonathan,

Advice from pro - who could ask for more! That's great help so thanks very much and you've backed up what I was thinking so I'll go ahead with a pair of the lights I found. I'm not too worried about the robustness of these things as they won't get anywhere near the amount of use that you would put them to and as there aren't any moving parts, or fragile bulbs to screw into fragile holders, then they should be fine. I've since found them even cheaper on eBay as well.

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

Hi Jonathan,

Advice from pro - who could ask for more! That's great help so thanks very much and you've backed up what I was thinking so I'll go ahead with a pair of the lights I found. I'm not too worried about the robustness of these things as they won't get anywhere near the amount of use that you would put them to and as there aren't any moving parts, or fragile bulbs to screw into fragile holders, then they should be fine. I've since found them even cheaper on eBay as well.

Cheers,

Roger

No worries Roger, Just glad to be of help! :)

• 2 months later...

Thank you for all your recommendations on this thread.

Have just purchased a cheap LED panel light for around £25 on Amazon

Wow! what light this thing gives off!

Will have to start making something to photograph now.

Cheers

K

• Like 1