1/48 Tiger Hobbies Northrop F-5a freedom fighter

This is my first RFI and is of my Tiger Hobbies F-5a. The WIP can be found here:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234985528-tiger-hobbies-148-northrop-f5a/

I recently completed the Trumpeter Talon II, and this inspired me to look for a quick build to run along side my more involved Hasegawa Skyhawk. A search on flea bay found this kit, and for £9.99 inc postge I could not pass it up.

IMAG0254_zpslos1ucza.jpg

The kit is overall a fun build with plus' and minus'. The fit is good, the end product looks like a Freedom Fighter, the decals are cracking, and the process is fast & fun.

IMAG0256_zpsosk8gwij.jpg

On the flip side theinstructions & paint guide is basic, the panel lines are deep, the detail is generally "soft", and I am unsure as to the overall accuracy.

IMAG0263_zps0rxeq327.jpg

IMAG0265_zpsbw4b8tji.jpg

Without more ado........

IMAG0369_zpsbgyqm8cj.jpg

The deep & wide panel lines with a panel wash is a bit OTT, as can be seen here where the walkway lines are almost hidden by the wash, but it was a quickie so whatever lol...

IMAG0370_zpsxtpbcigu.jpg

IMAG0374_zpsy4sxqlvb.jpg

The decals went down fantastically and look superb in my opinion.

IMAG0375_zpsfe1zagio.jpg

The cockpit was basic, but a wash and dry....... -brush sorted that out.

IMAG0377_zps1gvns6qp.jpg

The freedom Fighter is an awesome looking aircaft. Though my post-shading on the dark green is way too much.

IMAG0378_zpsawgclpmw.jpg

The underside was basic, and generic. The kit supplies all 5 pylons, but only three drop tanks, JDams from the spares box (though almost certainly wrong) sorted that, and added a contrast on the grey underside.

IMAG0379_zpshimjvnng.jpg

Alongside my Trumpeter T-38C.

IMAG0384_zps1bqxhxst.jpg

It may be a basic kit but it stands up!

IMAG0385_zpswsgt7jg4.jpg

Talon on its own..

IMAG0386_zps8xou1fcx.jpg

Finally the F5a is placed on the shelf.

IMAG0387_zpsbmflpikz.jpg

I enjoyed this kit, like the finished article, and can thoroughly recommend it....... though I cannot guarantee its accuracy.

Thanks for looking

Ian

Edited by Blueskippy
  • Like 20

Thanks for your comments guys.

Reini78, I think you are right, it does not look correct - to be honest I had not noticed until you mentioned it - I have checked and it is the way the instructions show it, and as a one piece assembly it is the only way it will fit without surgery. Oh well I did say I wasn't sure of the accuracy........ £9.99 inc postage comes with its own cost I guess. :banghead:

Ian

Edited by Blueskippy

I picked up this kit too lately, haven't started yet as I was waiting for the group build later in the year and was going use it to 'warm me up' to building the kinetic offering. Other than the nose gear it looks pretty good for the money anyway and if mine turns out any where near as good looking as yours I'd be well happy! Lovely scheme you've selected and I like the result you achieved a lot.

Indeed a very nice F-5.

You say the dark green is faded too much. I think it looks good.

If you don't mind me commenting, but I think the panel line wash is too dark (black?). Maybe this makes the fading more pronounced.

René

• Like 1

Thanks for all your comments. I totaly agree about the panel lines, as mentioned in the post they are so dark that the walkway markings have dispppeared. It is a little strange, under my work light they did not look quite so bad, and then after the flat coat they seeemed to get worse. Added to this is the obvious :banghead: mistake of using such a dark colour in the first place - though in fact the wash I used was the same one that I used on the Talon which definitely proves it was the kits fault and not mine....Honest! :bleh: . I considered removing them and having another go, but in the end decided to let be. It looks ok if viewed from a distance,,,,,

...about 6 feet & low light for instance. lol

As far as the shading goes, overall I am pleased with the outcome and really like the scheme, I just feel that the lightening on the dark green along the spine is a bit much of a contrast giving an unatural effect. But hey-ho we learn by our mistakes i suppose :unsure:

Ian

Edited by Blueskippy

Nice work. As I have been staring at F5 photo's for a month as I try to extricate two ESCI F5's from the shelf of doom, I think I can safely say the kit is wrong everywhere! But you had fun, it does look like an F5, and it is finished, which is more than I can say......

• Like 1

Robin, I think you nailed it :

"the kit is wrong ...... It does look like an F5.... It is fun."

That comment sums up this kit perfectly, and I can confirm I will be doing more of them,,, at this price it would be rude not to.

Ian