Canadair Sabre GA.7 - ****COMPLETED****

Humbrol do make cans of Dark Sea Grey. Perhaps that could be the basis for a weathered and faded finish?

Tempting, but I have in my mind a fairly pristine example. For one thing I think FRADU would have kept them fairly clean and then if I am going to model it as my lottery winnings plaything G-OMAX, I would pay people to polish it to within an inch of its life :pilot::evil_laugh:

Now then, a plea. Does anyone have a decent picture of the underside of a RAF Sabre? Googling doesn't have anything (if it does I aint found it). Even though this is a WHIF, I have assumed that markings placement for such things as roundels and serials would follow the RAF practice.

Thanks for looking. Perhaps some polystyrene fettling later?

Trevor

• 2 weeks later...

It's all gone a bit quiet! Life getting in the way again.

Anyway, I managed a smidging of modelling tonight and so concentrated on the bang seat. From looking at online pictures it was obvious that some details were required, such as a cushion, arm rests and seat belts.

So here is where I am now.

066C2B91-D3EF-400C-89C0-EF5EB45D482C_zps

7FE110B2-ED53-49F6-8347-1575D0990D41_zps

All the detail was courtesy of 5 thou plastic sheet. I will sand back to refine the detail. The headrest will be added later.

My aim is to have the interior painted and the fuselage joined up by the weekend (I do keep saying these things don't I? ).

Small steps - more soon and thanks for looking.

Trevor

• Like 2

Hi there. Small update from me tonight.

I have concentrated on the wings by marking out the correct position of the wing fence (5mm) further out and the wing tank position (43mm from the centreline). The holes for the wing fences were already there and rather large, so scrap sprue was glued on the inside to assist with filling in later. I also bored out the attachment point for the starboard inner pylon as I intend to have an inert Sidewinder body hung there. The wing parts were then fixed together.

One or two little jobs to finish off and that's it for tonight. As per usual from me short, sharp bursts of modelling! No pictures for tonight I'm afraid.

Thanks for looking.

Trevor

• Like 1

Batman has Robin. Morecombe had Wise.

Me? I have The Furry Shadow, aka Allie the Cat. She's appeared in some of my other builds. A seasoned pro, she now senses when I am about to set out the table and most importantly, get out my brushes. She will even try and remove it from my hand with her mouth.

Here is the perpetrator.......

E62D9605-3C4B-4620-996B-702981B7B1E3_zps

She also likes ejector seats.

Anyway back to the matter in hand. I finished off the cockpit minus the seat which will follow later. As there was nothing left to do on the fuselage, it was glued together.

300F8AFE-0930-4B8A-A43E-25F97E3D99C0_zps

3A674508-0C5E-412B-8817-4F6CD7252421_zps

It all went together quite easily and with no forcing or swearing necessary. I did however misalign the cockpit/intake assembly by completely missing the location lug. No matter, separate the halves, correct the mistake and stick 'em back together.

Last night I had glued the wing parts together, so they were now glued to the fuselage. This was done carefully as it was a close fit. I experienced none of the sloppiness at the wing root that I had read about elsewhere.

F73C4338-2E97-4C02-8BCE-1DF101492349_zps

86AC7C84-CAB6-402D-BF21-2ECF59A2C874_zps

You can see above where I have marked out the correct location for the outer pylons, together with the opened up locating holes where the rail for the ACMI pod will go. You will also see a rectangular hole behind the wing. This is a separate part but I see no reason why it should be so. I glued the part in afterwards.......and it fell into the fuselage. So the wings had to come off! Rectangular thingamummy was installed and the wings re attached.

Here is the top view

F1A5C84D-B38E-48C1-9666-E9DB70D0C02F_zps

Again you can see where I have marked the correct position of the wing fence.

Blimey, I gotta Sabre!

With the fuselage balanced at the wheel wells on my fingers, I noticed that it was not tail or nose heavy, so chances are I will not need too much in the way of ballast inserted in the intake.

Next up will be sanding, filling and drilling.

More soon and thanks for looking.

Trevor

• Like 2

Hello there!

Mostly sanding and filling tonight, but progress none the less.

Before that though a cockpit shot.

EAF82281-71A7-4E89-87B1-AF39541B3440_zps

I'm not one for super detailing. What I have done here is to paint the pit black. Once dried I then carefully scraped a sharp blade over the raised detail to expose the plastic underneath. Not sophisticated but it does show up detail. I may add dots of red, yellow or whatever for buttons.

It's not quite a shake and bake and filler is needed in places, most notably on the lower wing/fuselage joint.

D2B4B3EC-9EDA-4F91-B77F-EA832608B5A9_zps

If you fiddle with the joints before they set then it is possible to minimise the excesses of some of the 'steps'.

Here is the upper fuselage/gun apeture/nose ring area.

9F5677F2-DA4D-4D5B-8E7C-C46C8591C69A_zps

The next jobs will involve the drilling of the revised pylon location holes and the wing fence. Neither task should be too onerous.

After that I will need to see what is needed in the way of rescribing. Then masking and painting.

Col, I took your advice and invested in a rattle can of Humbrol Dark Sea Grey. I have a thought that as an undercoat I will use rattle can black rather than white, as this may darken the grey perhaps? We'll see.

Coming along nicely :)

Trevor

• Like 1

Col, I took your advice and invested in a rattle can of Humbrol Dark Sea Grey. I have a thought that as an undercoat I will use rattle can black rather than white, as this may darken the grey perhaps? We'll see.

Coming along nicely :)

Trevor

Coming along nicely indeed Trevor.

I like your idea about using a black undercoat - building up light layers of the DSG should allow you to achieve a nice effect.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Less than a month to go, blimey I better get a jiggy on! I have a few days off so I will use the opportunity to move this one on so I can then move on to my KUTAs. At this rate I stand a chance of completing more this year than I have for a while.

So.....

In addition to the inspection of joins and gaps, a matter that seems to occupy a lot of time on this build, especialy that panel just in front of the dorsal fin fairing, the next job is to have the pylons and wing fences added. As posted above, the positions given by Academy are too far inboard, so after measuring I then drew a line as to where they needed to be. The lugs for the fences seened a bit overkill for the size of what was being affixed, so I didn't bother with drilling out new holes so I contented myself with snipping them off and securely gluing the items in their correct place.

In order to ensure that I spaced the new holes for the underwing pylons correctly I took pieces of tamiya Tape and marked the positions of the lugs, matching the tape's position with the previously marked spot for the rear hole

NOTE that the pylons are handed as they are not symmetrical in plan view, being aerofoil shaped like the cross section of a wing.

9BCD1FAF-534A-4DAF-8134-22952AFDAD7F_zps

I was debating whether to add the pylons before or after painting the model, but after seeing the less than stellar fit I thought it better if I fixed them permanently and fill in the gaps. I'll fret about masking afterwards. I hope they are suitably inboard not to be affected by the underwing serial, otherwise some snipping will be involved.

Whilst all that was going on, I began to think about my Leigh light in the port drop tank. So far all I have done is chop off the nose and fins (I have rationalised that it doesn't need the latter as it wouldn't be jettisonable in flight).

That is about it really except to warn you that within the next few posts I will make you groan "Good grief, did that just happen?"

Yes it will.

You have been warned.

:bleh:

Trevor

• Like 1

Thanks for the encouragement Col. Mojo meltdown again, but I found some in a jar!

Trevor

A jar of mojo? You could sell plenty of those around these parts.

• Like 1

Good evening viewer!

A bit more fettling tonight. Mostly filing (for a change) I also had a bash at some of the ancillaries like my Leigh Light drop tank and ACMI pod.

99BC7CDE-353C-4957-BF1E-7746E8488CBA_zps

I chopped the fins from the Sidewinder and began to smooth out the remaining tube making sure not to eliminate the two rings (joints?) going around the body. The slots for two of the tail fins need filling in. Also the nose needed to be chopped off to allow for a probe or whatever to be inserted once I had drilled out the nose. Hopefully it will look something like this

http://www.gacetaeronautica.com/articulos/2011/09a4ar/acmi.jpg

As for the Leigh Light the nose of the fuel tank needs to look something like this

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4095/4856777378_8daf113f00_z.jpg

Back to the Sabre itself, hopefully I shall be in a position to mask it ready for a rattlecan undercoat by the end of tomorrow.

We'll see ;)

Trevor

• Like 1

WARNING THIS POST CONTAINS A GRATUITOUS PUN

THOSE OF A SENSITIVE NATURE LOOK AWAY NOW

Hello there.

A major milestone this afternoon. I had sanded and fettled as much as I can so it was time to go and play with the rattle can primer. I think there may be one or two rough area but these should show up under a coat of grey and be attacked appropriately.

As I am using the intake and exhaust covers I did not need to take too much care with the intake and exhaust. Evenually I will put ballast in the intake to prevent a tail sitter. For now however all it was needed for was to provide a securing point for a length of garden bamboo so that I could sparay it outside.

I did have the canopy fixed on with PVA and was masking it off when it became detached. Never mind, I have put it to one side for re attachment later.

2BD409C0-7BD1-4EBA-89CD-C8874F86FDC2_zps

I used short bursts of spray, but still managed a couple of dribbles. Ho hum those can be sanded back with minimal effort.

Once dry I will inspect it to see what else needs doing. I guess that in aditon to the dribble, there will be a couple of joins that need rubbing down and probably some rescribing too.

We shall see.

THIS IS YOUR FINAL WARNING..........

:evil_laugh:

As I stood in the garden, with the model on a stick, my neighbour looked over the fence and asked what I was doing. I looked at him and shook it slightly making sure that it would not fall off.

"Don't mind me, I'm only Sabre rattling".

Thank you, thank you. My name's Max Headroom and I'm here all week. Matinees Tuesday. :thumbsup:
  • Like 6

Then just sabre rattle in an attic or a cellar, that's where I rattle away with my spray paint on my models...

I have neither only a cramped garage and I'm afraid of spraying something I shouldn't!

Some rubbing down is in order and then one more pass with the white and then masking for the black undercoat to hopefully darken the Dark Sea Grey to make it a bit more like EXTRA Dark Sea Grey.

I may just make the deadline!

Thanks for looking in.

Trevor

• Like 1

Slowly, slowly it edges forward.........

After several coats of white for the underside and the tail, the masking begins. Col suggested an overall EDSG scheme but I always liked that colour with white undersides that I associate with pre 1982 FAA types.

I have masked the major demarcations between upper and lower and will somehow tack paper to cover the rest to save my dwindling Tamiya Tape roll. It's arguable that maybe I've been a tad generous with the wraparound of the upper colour on the wing leading edge, but it looked good last time I tried it (an aborted Hobbyboss 1/72 effort) and anyway it follows a convenient scribed line. I've noted that there were 'high' and 'low' demarcations on RAF camouflaged machines, I think it is something to do with the serials in the XB*** and XD*** blocks and/or allocation to 2 TAF squadrons in Germany. It isn't necessarily to do with the High Speed Silver or PRU Blue undersides as there appeared to be some anomalies, although having said that 'most' high demarcation examples had the PRU Blue undersides and the others the silver.

All this is a rather long winded way of saying that 'my' example had the high demarcation when with the RAF so I've decided to carry this over to its fictional naval afterlife.

Once the masking is complete I will then spray the upper sides black as a base coat for the Dark Sea Grey, having first masked off the anti glare panel, in the hope that this will darken the colour somewhat (note to Humbrol - do a rattlecan EDSG!).

I will also fiddle with the undercarriage and the things under wings at the same time. Time is dribbling away and I'm off for a mini break this weekend and I can't take my toys with me :(

So enough verbiage, on with the pix

C09F7612-CA9B-485F-88D4-19DCAA036FD8_zps

AC3D477D-D20F-4A5D-91D7-2957F4ED823B_zps

6BDD2206-97FF-44B2-B51A-24E0F9F6F668_zps

E60D3F50-7BDE-4BC5-8F11-3267339CB818_zps

Don't worry, I know there are some runs to rub down before I apply the black.

Thanks for looking.

Trevor

• Like 1

BLACK! BLACK!

I've rattle canned the upper surface and it's tempting to leave it as a 111 Sqn machine (see narrative in the opening post), but I'll plug on as scheduled. I'm using a generic hardware store black and it's taking longer to dry than Humbrol's cans used so far which means I've run out of time to do the underneath tonight. It also means that's it's still to wet to move and pose for a snap. Maybe tomorrow. I'll probably flip it over after that and do the underside giving it the rest of the day to go off before the DSG covering hopefully tomorrow evening. Then we'll see if a black undercoat will succeed in darkening it towards EDSG.........

91C94E8E-C3C9-4D07-914B-9DE17FCA5A43_zps

And now back to your scheduled programme :)

Trevor