Canadair Sabre GA.7 - ****COMPLETED****

This is an itch I have wanted to scratch since WHIF 1 when I ran out of time. Finally.........

Alternate Reality

The failures of the Hawker Hunter F.1 are well known. Short on range, its Rolls Royce Avon engine was also prone to surging when ingesting hot exhaust gases from the four ADEN 20mm cannon. Obviously, as an interceptor of Soviet bombers invading UK airspace, it left a lot to be desired.
Whilst Hawker worked on the range problem, Armstrong Siddeley were convinced that their Sapphire turbojet would not succumb to the Avons problems. Despite intense lobbying by the engine manufacturer, Rolls Royces aversion to anything British flying with a rival manufacturers engine held sway at the Air Ministry and scuppered the proposed Sapphire engined alternative before it flew. The semi completed airframe of the F.2 prototype WB195 ended its days at the Cranfield Institute of Technology as an engineering aid in their Library of Flight.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a7/Supermarine_545_Cranfield_10.09.60_edited-3.jpg

Surplus to requirements in 1967 it was sold as scrap to Unimetal and ended up at their famous scrapyard in Failsworth near Manchester.

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/3/9/0/1996093.jpg

The fuselage was rescued in 1981 by the North East Aircraft Museum along with those of a Bristol Brigand, Supermarine Swift and a brace of Boulton Paul Balliols and is now exhibited in the Midlands Air Museum. It is the sole survivor of the type.

All production F.1s were withdrawn from use by 1956 after attempts at solving the gun firing problem failed. All were eventually scrapped or used as targets in Foulness.

http://forum.keypublishing.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=196988&stc=1&d=1309807370

Fortunately for the RAF, it had the Canadair CL-13 Sabre. Originally meant as a stop-gap until the Hunter arrived, the 430 F.2 and F.4s more than filled the gap. A combat proven design over Korea, it soldiered on in frontline roles until the EE Lightning F.1 replaced it commencing 1960. With the introduction of the F.3 in 1963, surplus Sabres were offered to the Fleet Air Arm for second line duties with FRADU.

XB956 was initially allocated to 112 Squadron complete with the famous shark mouth design. It carried the individual code 'T'.

http://www.gaetanmarie.com/images/f86/f86-015.jpg

Later it was transferred to 111 Squadron. In 1958 and painted overall gloss black it was one of 22 examples that looped the loop in formation at that years Farnborough extraveganza. In those days, no foreign aircraft were allowed in the show. However, the point was stretched in this instance to allow Commonwealth manufactured types to be exhibited. Only Hawker complained about that.

On transfer to FAA charge on 14th March 1963 it was stripped of its cannon and had a Leigh Light installed in the nose of the port drop tank. Coded 833 and with the famous Double Diamond beer logo applied to the tail, this example was finally retired from flight in 1985. Allocated FAA maintenance serial A2737 (not carried) and coded SAH 11, it was then used as a deck towing trainer with the School of Aircraft Handling at Culdrose, until disposed by the MoD in 1993.

http://1000aircraftphotos.com/Contributions/BradicSrecko/10958.jpg

Along with three other former FAA examples, it was sold to the Confederate Air Force and was restored to flying status registered N956XB. Painted as John Glenns Mig Mad Marine and serialled 52-4584, it was a regular flyer until a wheels up landing in 1999.

http://www.unitedyam.com/golb/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/F-86F.jpg

http://aerobaticteams.net/images/snowbirds/rcaf-tigers-sabre-06.jpg

The wreck was sold to UK Lottery winner Max Headroom in 2003 and restored to flying status and its FAA livery in 2005. Registered G-OMAX it is based at Hawarden near Chester and is a popular performer at air shows. It is regularly flown with panache by Max.

Back to reality!

This is my inspiration/reference photo

http://www.gaetanmarie.com/images/f86/f86-015.jpg

I love the Double Diamond logo on the tail. Not spotted it before when trawling for GA.11 images, I have to incorporate it on the Sabre. Maybe not on the tail as I still want the VL there. I will see how much room I have at the appropriate time. I have red and white solid transfer sheets, so the logo should be easy (?) to cobble up lovingly craft. What's happened? :mental: in the ten minutes since I typed this, the link has broken. It was a smashing photo as well. Just as well I can remember what it looked like. On the other hand, does anyone else have a photo?

Structural mods will be minimal. As per the GA.11, I will remove the guns, so the troughs will be filled in. However, I do need to install the Leigh Light. Obviously, the nose is out of the question so it needs to go somewhere else. In my narrative above, I have conjectured that it will go in the tip of one of the drop tanks. That should also be fairly simple. The only thing is that thinking logically, if you place a powerful light behind and below the pilot, but in the line of his periphery vision, this may be a distraction and blind him, so possibly not terribly practical! I may need to think more about that one.
Now then what do I call this thing? If you say Sabre, I will send you to the back of the class! In FAA service, the modded Hunter F.4 became the GA.11, so my F.4 will also need a redesignation. (incidentally a BAe engineer told me once that if an airframe had over 25% worth of mods then this would result in a new mark number). I have decided that it will become the GA.7 to keep it in line with the Canadair designations. I believe that there was a proposed real Canadair Mk.7 but that it was not built. So I am claiming it for myself.

There are two (possibly three) things stopping an immediate start on this.

1 I have the Spitfire (and interloping Hurricane) to finish in the BoB Group Build.

2 I have my French Mosquito to finish from the French Fancy Group Build (I know, I know, but holidays in Abroad scuppered me finishing in time and then the BoB build started)

3 erm.I forgot where I put the Academy 1/48 Sabre kit. I sort of know roughly where it is supposed to maybe be (possibly).

See you soonish, maybe, perhaps (when is the closing date again?)

Trevor

• Like 3

Hi Graham. The hunt will commence this evening.

As for my DD Hunter as it were, I shall wander over The Interwebby of Stuff to see if there is another picture somewhere.

Trevor

BINGO!

http://www.fradu-hunters.co.uk/kbutcher/images/wt711kb.jpg

Here is a box shot as a bit of a teaser.

851E6E6E-7C6F-49C9-B40B-FBAA283EFC96_zps

Although the half price label has all the hallmarks of Modelzone, this example was bought from Rapid in Liverpool, a well known local institution that bought up a load of stock when the local branch closed. They didn't even bother relabelling the stock and plonked the lot in a corner of the store. (Pauses to kick himself for not buying a Revell re boxing of the Special Hobby Seafire XV for a fiver. I even had it in my hand at one point....)

Anyhoo, I had a quick check of the sprues and it looks very nice - pictures soon. I haven't studied it closely yet but am wondering if I can leave off the engine as part of a weight saving exercise to prevent a tail-sitter, the other thought being to use the intake duct as somewhere to stuff ballast and to have a FOD guard as a disguise and to add some colour.

More sometime, possibly by the end of the week.

Trevor

Because I'm odd, I looked up the rego G-OMAX (I'm sure you did too.) The real one is a Brantley B-2B, a pretty little light helicopter designed in the US in the 50s, somewhat reminiscent of the Allouette and Skeeter.

Low and slow or fast and loud - what do you want to do today?

Cracking idea for a wif, Trevor, having your dream mount on your shelf. I'm surprised that I've never seen it done before. Hmm, maybe a GB idea there somewhere? (If anyone wants to pick it up and run with it, go for your life.)

• Like 1

Right then, the sprue shots. Nicely engraved and moulded in that hard greeny grey plastic I associate with Academy it *should* be an easy build. A quick googling didn't reveal any horror build stories, but I may need to take particular attention to the wing/fuselage join with some plastic card shims.

Pix.....

08356DEC-F3D1-4051-AD0F-72573B3EEB33_zps

D91C9D0E-66A1-461E-B8AB-7EB4C019F4E6_zps

72487EC3-8426-4216-AA7C-1AA1E5E952E6_zps

D75520E2-1154-4C0B-B363-0E1BD444D7A9_zps

There's a lot of parts!

However......

I'm not building it with the engine in situ or having that shown separately on the trolley, so that accounts for about a sprue's worth of parts.

There is also all the ordnance. My original plan was for two drop tanks, but there appear to be two types here. It also comes with Sidewinders, but I have no idea as to which version. Finally there are a couple of iron bombs.

Now then, I'm rationalising that because the Hunter GA.11 was often seen without drop tanks, presumably because range was not a major concern, maybe this should not have them either. I quite fancy an inert Sidewinder body painted blue on one pylon and to balance have an imaginary Leigh Light pod on the other, (still trying to figure out the glare problem - sun glasses maybe?!).

I won't be cutting plastic just yet because I have the BoB Spitfire etc to finish first. However, I think that putting it together in major sub assemblies will help speed up construction. Maybe.

More whenever!

G-OMAX

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!

No fettling yet, (maybe this weekend?), but a thought occurred to me about the finish. I usually do 1/72 so brush painting is not a problem.

This is bigger!

Does anyone do rattlecan Extra Dark Sea Grey?

Trevor

• 3 weeks later...

And so it begins.

As Mrs H was out for the day I had free reign to indulge in plastic carnage (you should see how I model - stuff everywhere!).

1st priority was pushing my Spitfire over the line for the BoB build and now I'm just waiting for the varnish to dry :)

So..........

I had a detailed look at the bits. The fuselage is moulded so that the gun panel can be left off and the guns exposed.

68925087-D542-4D53-850F-4EED25764263_zps

However as absolutely everyone knows that the GA.11 was unarmed I needed to model the hatches shut. They are a nice fit, but delicate so I gingerly popped them into place and ran some liquid cement around the joins. I was able to fettle them into place thanks to locating holes for the guns enabling me to poke them with fuse wire from the back.

C5E9C0D8-A121-44ED-8005-B22C7806271A_zps

Something I hadn't appreciated was that the panel with the gun muzzles stands proud.

217AE19B-BACA-41A9-963C-33BA6E530A96_zps

So those holes would need filling in and possibly the whole panel sanding back flat?

I reckoned that merely filling the holes would lead to the filler falling out, so a shim of plastic card would be needed. For that I needed to cut out the protrusions on the inside surface, before gluing in a curved shim of 20 thou card.

48F8C8C2-C72D-42E8-B371-058C496041A8_zps

0AA38654-FA3E-4B5C-B7B3-1061DC776C46_zps

I've also decided that the intake will be covered as it will add a bit of colour and more importantly leave me plenty of room for ballast, probably a large screw or some such. There is plenty of room.

D728EA7D-2285-44A6-92B6-8469C33F157E_zps

020BC91E-94FA-40E8-B67D-824CC9D19BA9_zps

The cockpit tub is moulded integrally to the upper half of the intake duct whilst the wheel well has a similar arrangement for the other half.

My back story has one of the drop tanks having a Leigh Light in the nose. These are the tanks I intend to use.

C70FBD75-B43F-4034-B6E2-4D834AE70FD2_zps

No idea yet how I'll tackle the light. Plenty of time yet!

More soon!

Trevor

As I'm leaving the engine out in order to prevent a tail sitter I only need the exhaust at the back. I've blanked off the 'hot' end.

A5523B12-37EB-44C2-AD6F-5BF8AF9C8193_zps

Here is a quick mock up of how it will look inside.

B5E9DBD8-FFBD-4C38-84DA-A0127AB6C946_zps

It all seems to fit without too much of an effort

CA3DB686-333E-4851-88A1-B04ED2DACA77_zps

Does this remind you of anything?

981017A2-56D0-4D16-AF6D-268487D5A51F_zps

http://www.kids-n-fun.com/Wall/transformers/transformers_18.jpg

?????

Trevor

• Like 1

Small update for tonight.

I had a new rattle can of matt black waiting in the wings. Whether the mk.4 left Canadair with a black pit I don't know, but I have decided that in my universe, when it was sent to Blackburn in Brough, (well they know a thing or two about navy jets) to prepare it for FAA service, it was refurbed with some tins of Dulux!

BDD3DECA-1768-4A23-8037-082F847AFA8E_zps

5820B9BA-6AAE-4FB8-B071-567102DB3E19_zps

There's a lot of black.......

BLACK! BLACK!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wj84tfS7ag4

Terribly sorry not sure what came over me.

So some highlighting in a slightly lighter grey and silver and scuffing from excessive heel rubbing by the pedals should suffice.

More soon.

Trevor

Thinking ahead to the colour scheme, would I be right in assuming that the FRADU Hunters went Extra Dark Sea Grey all over from mid 1982 as a result of the Falklands?

I quite like the idea of going EDSG/white for the Sabre, but am also tempted by an overall EDSG machine with B type roundels and black lettering.

What do you think?

And to repeat an earlier question, is there a rattle-can EDSG?

Trevor

I'm going to vote for the overall EDSG. That, to my mind, will suit the lines of the Sabre well. Can't help with options for a rattlecan though I'm afraid - couple of passes with a hairy stick should do it though ;)

Thanks For the vote Col.

I really want to avoid brushing this one. I can (just) get away with that on a 1/72 Spitfire, but I would prefer a can to a brush on an area that is effectly 4x as big.

Trevor