Messerschmitts

Hi Sean,

Sorry for finding your build just now... It's really hard to keep track of so many interesting threads in this GB.

Great job on those two 109s up to now :clap2:you make me want to build one of these myself!

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Hi Jaime, I know how you feel as I'm the same. You think you've looked at a thread, then realise, no, that was

someone else's " insert name of plane" that you'd seen. Confusing isn't it.

Well the past couple of days I've applied a few more coats of paint, and barring a couple of touch ups*,

the wings and fuselage look to be done. Mottling next. I have an old brush cut down for this, so it's take me

time and see how it goes:

DSCF4595_zpsdcjflwl3.jpg?t=1439573995

I test fitted one of these yesterday, and it's just a small rub along the joins to get rid of any excess paint,

to get a nice join,

Sean

* one for Ced

• Like 6

Looking very tidy Sean :)
Score at least 1, fnaar fnaar!

Could you do some 'detailed' step by step shots of the mottling please? I have problems with it and I know others do too. :coolio:

• Like 1

That looks pretty good, a bit like in Regensburg.

( and quite tempting )

Had to look that up, very good........ :winkgrin:

Paint job looks great!

Cheers Jaime, pretty pleased with how it turned out.

Looking very tidy Sean :)

Score at least 1, fnaar fnaar!

Could you do some 'detailed' step by step shots of the mottling please? I have problems with it and I know others do too. :coolio:

I shall certainly try Ced, but don't build your hopes up too high, I might be one of the 'others' :unsure:

Sean

• Like 3

May I tell the way I do the mottling?

1. paint splodges of the two colours on the fuselage = 02 & 70

2. using an old brush with stiff bristles cut way down to stubble apply the two colours over the splodges and the area, using a stabbing attack

3. whilst the above is still drying, use the same brush to apply the blue.grey 65 over the above to lessen any heavy patches.

4 this may leave the paint surface slightly rough, use a fine grade of W&D paper to smooth it.

5 touch in the main paint where the mottling has gone on to it and its not wanted

This was done recently doing it that way;

0cf9e92d4cae2c3a5a2ac923aef7e49b.jpg

• Like 5

Did someone mention mottling? I've started this and taken some photos as requested, let me know what you think

First:

I have an old worn out brush and cut the bristles down to a stub

DSCF4597_zps2b8m0ob0.jpg?t=1439742652

Not the best picture but you can see what I mean about cutting it down

What I'll do is stir and then shake the paint, in this case Humbrol 240 and then just use the paint on the lid.

That way I'm able to control the amount of paint that goes on the brush.

When there's a bit of paint on the brush I'll wick some off onto some kitchen roll before applying to the model

DSCF4602_zpsjujcmylz.jpg

That allows me to put in on lightly and build up the density if so needed

Model A

DSCF4599_zpsqt7jdryh.jpg

DSCF4601_zpst0zwjx9u.jpg

Model B

DSCF4604_zps45wenpvy.jpg

DSCF4605_zpsxag5pyap.jpg

Model B is going to be Wick's aircraft being serviced. I've looked online at his plane, and there is varying degrees

of mottle (and colour), so I'll probably add a bit more to both aircraft, and then add some Hu 65 very lightly to finish.

Thoughts most welcome,

Sean

• Like 8

Cheers Ced, you'll make me blush. You're being a bit hard on yourself there, you do some lovely paint work yourself.

Sean :blush:

• Like 1

To get just the amount of paint you need you could load the brush and then remove paint on some kitchen roll or better still an old painted kit so you can see when it is just at the point of being perfect . A small piece of fine spung held in some tweezers works well too.

• Like 1

To get just the amount of paint you need you could load the brush and then remove paint on some kitchen roll or better still an old painted kit so you can see when it is just at the point of being perfect . A small piece of fine spung held in some tweezers works well too.

I used to use a bit of sponge, I found it worked alright as well.

That is a great blow by blow Sean, and as a brush painter of 1/72 very helpful!

Very nice work

Rob

Hope it helps, I'm sure it can be improved on, but it works ok for me,

Sean

Edited by sean
  • Like 1

Great progress Sean,the cut down brush method is my way of tackling this type of finish in this scale if I got a bit heavy handed I repeat the process

with the base colour to blend it in once glossed it tend's too aid the look too.

• Like 1

Looks like a good way for 1/72 mottling, i am looking forward to your result.

Cheers Bernd, I found it to be a good way of applying the mottle

That does look very good Sean. I've got this bookmarked for when I get around to doing my first German aircraft. Thank you! :thumbsup:

Ah Stix, you flatter me, but..... :thumbsup: . I look forward to seeing yours when the time comes.

Great progress Sean,the cut down brush method is my way of tackling this type of finish in this scale if I got a bit heavy handed I repeat the process

with the base colour to blend it in once glossed it tend's too aid the look too.

Good to see you back Steve. I reckon I got away without having to do that on these. I basically went by the "if it looks

enough, it probably is enough" method

Looking good Sean, especially with the hairy-stick! I can't paint large surfaces very well that way, so chicken out even trying!

Keep having fun!

Cheers :)

Martin

Hi Martin, nice of you to say, especially having seen what you've done with your 109, :yikes: , and yes I'll keep having fun.

It's the only way to model.. :winkgrin:

I've managed to get a lot done over the last couple of days, wings and fuselages joined together, all the underside

bits and pieces, and the mottling finished....but..... I forgot to take photos until the wheels and things went on, so:

DSCF4606_zpsmlahdage.jpg

I know, I know.....thicko..... :oops:

Everything fitted as it should, once the mating surfaces were cleaned of any over lying paint.

Also, the canopies have been painted:

DSCF4608_zpszz8fa1qj.jpg

And just to show I haven't forgotten the Hurricanes, here they are with 109s, in the drying room after a coat of Klear to

seal the decals.

DSCF4613_zpswikludqc.jpg

Now, there's 24 pages for me to catch up on...... :bye:

Sean

• Like 6

Very nice progress, good to see they have rolled over for you....

Rob

:clap: Good one Rob :D

Here's some pics of the mottling now they're on their feet:

Wick's 109

DSCF4622_zpsy1kpxxkx.jpg

DSCF4624_zpsgo0i5s5w.jpg

Machold's 109

DSCF4623_zpsnkdlwih7.jpg

DSCF4625_zpst3c1ypn6.jpg

I'll go over the cowling on this one with a bit of blue. The brush slipped a bit.. :doh:

There's a bit of touching up to do on the wing/fuselage join, and then decals.

Sean

• Like 9