Messerschmitts

With my Hurricanes coming to near completion, and room on the bench, I have started on a couple of

Airfix Me-109s, this and the one from the Battle of Britain Experience boxing, which are the same kits.

DSCF4457_zpsayncw7r0.jpg

I also have the E-7 kit to get from the stash, as I want to use the remaining two options on this E.D Models sheet for Machold's and Wick's aircraft,

DSCF4459_zpsclhgqtlu.jpg

Progress...which has been quick,

DSCF4466_zpstukkrrxd.jpg

DSCF4465_zpsuthehaxq.jpg

DSCF4463_zpsvbc25oyc.jpg

DSCF4486_zps5czwnhzl.jpg?t=1438704874

I'm thinking of painting one of the engines and leaving the cowling off. Does it come off in one piece, or two halves?

Here is the third option that was on the E.D. Models sheet, Oblt. Troha's aircraft, using the very old Revell kit

DSCF3146_zps258c62b3.jpg

Cheers,

Sean

• Like 5

It's a very nice kit, (so far). The fit is excellent, (so far). Plus it doesn't take up much room on the bench,

so I'm sure you could fit one in,(score 1?)

Sean

• Like 1

When you come to the painting; do not paint the lines half way along each side and across the top of the part of the canopy which is hinged. These are not frames. Airfix has depicted the overlap of the perspex panels. The side ones slid open, like on the original early Mini car, and the two panels on the top of the canopy I think were glued together.

• Like 2

I'm only mentioning it cos a lot of modellers are painting those lines, turning an E4 canopy into a G series type, which did have frames.

Speedy work there on those two Emils. :thumbsup:

And it looks like you have the same set of drawer units for your paints as I do. :coolio:

• Like 1

B&Q's finest, they hold Humbrol tins perfect.

Nice to know about the canopy, it's something I wouldn't have realised, most people would have mentioned it

at a later stage, i.e RFI..... :whistle:

Sean

Nice and quick, impressive start Sean.

The last time I saw a Revell 109, I was still a long way from getting my first facial hair... I built it and used Humbrol authentic paints with all their shortcomings, but even they could not disguise the fingerprints on the glue staining the wings... and I was real proud of it. Great to see it again.

I have dusted the Airfix 109 and that's a beauty. I am thinking of starting two at once, but outside the GB. So I will be taking notes on your builds!

Keep having fun

JR

• Like 1

Thank you JR, the Revell kit leaves a lot to be desired compared to the Airfix kits, which go together superbly well.

I reckon you could not use glue in some places, the fit is excellent.

Speaking of which.....an update.

I attached the tailplanes, and the bottom of the cowlings, both of these just clicked in place the fit was that good.

I used Tamiya Extra Thin for these. First time using this, good stuff.

Added the flaps to the wings as well, and this is how they sit at the moment...

DSCF4491_zpslphi8jyu.jpg

DSCF4493_zps3le0lysa.jpg

I'm thinking I might paint these separately, as a test fit of fuselage and wings shows the same great fit.

Sean

• Like 5

Looking good Sean. Looks to be going together well.

Perhaps this will tempt you into getting a couple?

Sean

Edited by sean
  • Like 1

Perhaps this will tempt you into getting a couple?

Sean

I think it definitely will! I need to have a go at building some German aircraft - I haven't made any since I was a kid!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

Looking good Sean,lovely little kit's these almost fall together at times.

The fit is superb Steve, the paint would probably be enough to hold some of the

parts together

I think it definitely will! I need to have a go at building some German aircraft - I haven't made any since I was a kid!

Kind regards,

Stix

I'm sure you need something to offfset all those Spitfires, even as targets!

Sean

Edited by sean
  • Like 1

The painting has started. I've left the fuselages and wings seperate for now to see if it makes the

painting easier. I've got two coats on the undersides, will probably need another:

DSCF4551_zpsg8mx2wl3.jpg

and the first coat of 02 on top, as well as a bit more on the smaller pieces:

DSCF4558_zpsvlwgisno.jpg

If my memory serves me right, I'll probably need a total of four coats on top using

Humbrol's Luftwaffe colours,

Sean

• Like 4

As Bernd said above; your production line is looking very good. I like your idea of keeping the parts separate for painting - :thumbsup:

And you are quite right - I could do with some targets for all the Spitfires!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

As Bernd said above; your production line is looking very good. I like your idea of keeping the parts separate for painting - :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

I am really looking forward to a german marked build from you :) Building Messerschmitt & co is like building big cats on tracks :coolio:

• Like 2

Kind regards,

Stix

So far this as worked out well, it sure makes it easier to handle. It's just a question of when to join it all up?

109's? You know it makes sense, they can even be 1/48 if you like... :winkgrin:

Sean your output is putting me to shame... Need to get that backside I gear!

Very nice and speedy work

Rob

Cheers Rob, shift your 4rse son :evil_laugh:

I am really looking forward to a german marked build from you :) Building Messerschmitt & co is like building big cats on tracks :coolio:

Thanks Bernd, the only thing is there's a lot less decals on a tank... :coolio:

There has been more painting camo done, with 71 added to the 02:

DSCF4559_zpsmhtrqv6f.jpg

These are both Humbrol's colours, 240/02 and 242/71. I'll need another couple of coats to properly cover these,

Sean

• Like 10

Looking good Sean. Lovely progress.

When I get time I'm probably going to make a start with a 1/72 Airfix version. It's what I did before trying a 1/48 Spitfire. I'll try either their 109 or 190. I'm looking forward to it but there's still a few builds in the way yet!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1