A well-known Battle of Britain Spitfire

Hello everyone,

Sorry to come late to the party but I'm pleased to report that I have now got moving on my Spitfire.

image_zpsopedjwhj.jpg

I really like the new-tool Airfix kit, but I've made a couple of tweaks, first to add the strenghtening ribs over the wheel wells that were found on some Mark Is, IIs and Vs. I know these ribs were probably not present during the Battle, but (and I hope that the esteemed GB authorities will permit this), I am going to build the BoB veteran R6915 more or less as it appears today in the Imperial War Museum. I won't model the dents and dings in the airframe, but I'll try to replicate something of the patina on the 1944-vintage paintwork. The museum is only up the road from me, so I'll have ample opportunity to study the original.

image_zpszaafman3.jpg

Also I am adding the underwing vents for the gun heating. The latter need some shaping from the plastic card I have used, but the outline is about right. The vent under the port wingtip was larger than that on the starboard side.

image_zpsot9jm4wc.jpg

Justin

• Like 4

don't want to be that guy, but guess better now than later when the build is much more done, this is breaks the rules of the GB, have to check with the hosts but as R6195 is not in BoB authentic markings now, to do it as preserved is a No No

Edited by PhantomBigStu

don't want to be that guy, but guess better now than later when the build is much more done, this is breaks the rules of the GB, have to check with the hosts but as R6195 is not in BoB authentic markings now, to do it as preserved is a No No

Speaking as a co-host, what he said! Never mind; plenty of interesting spits to do! The new xtadecal sheets have some top options! Cheers, Paul

Oh come on Ref...

30546-star-schiri-collina-wirbt-nicht-me

The rule says: "Any aircraft from a Battle of Britain squadron during the Battle"

R6915 - 609 Sqn 21 July - 14 October 1940. 3 109s destroyed, an He111 destroyed, a 110 destroyed, 2 Ju87 probables, a 110 and two Do17s damaged, and a half-share of a 110 and a 111 both destroyed. There's no better pedigree than that. So I'm taking a BIT of licence by doing the 70-year-old paint job and not the 75-year-old one, but there's probaby nothing out there more original. Pleeeease let me play on?

Oh come on Ref...

30546-star-schiri-collina-wirbt-nicht-me

The rule says: "Any aircraft from a Battle of Britain squadron during the Battle"

R6915 - 609 Sqn 21 July - 14 October 1940. 3 109s destroyed, an He111 destroyed, a 110 destroyed, 2 Ju87 probables, a 110 and two Do17s damaged, and a half-share of a 110 and a 111 both destroyed. There's no better pedigree than that. So I'm taking a BIT of licence by doing the 70-year-old paint job and not the 75-year-old one, but there's probaby nothing out there more original. Pleeeease let me play on?

That's a seriously scary pic, but even that ain't gonna do it! Parameters of the GB is for an airframe/marking combination as would have been been seen between July 10th and October 31st 1940; gets too messy otherwise! Doing R6915 in the marks she wore in between those dates would be very much in keeping, but not as she would have appeared in 1944...

Alright then. I'll take my Spitfire elsewhere. To the WiP section I s'pose. It's nice there. Good people. They'll appreciate my art. :winkgrin:

And there's always my Hurricane still to do :work: before 31 October.

JB

• 2 weeks later...

Oh a good start. The new Airfix's looks really good and promising. :rolleyes::).

BTW I always liked Pierluigi Collina as a ref. Although sometimes he was looking a bit frightening to me

Edited by bbudde