UNICRAFT MODELS

dieselweasel

Hi Guys

Has anyone built any of this companies kits, I have been given the RAE TRA kit because the previous owner had never built a model and it was also resin, so any help, advice and tips you could give would be a great help.

Many Thanks

Jim

I've built a couple and have got a few more in the stash. They generally have quite a rough surface and lots of bubbles. The resin is usually very brittle.

If you're interested in the subject enough then they are perfectly buildable but be ready for a lot of work.

Steve

The boxes are quite good - the contents not so.

I've built their 1949 Su-15 - but only after quite a fight........

su-15_parts.jpg

The resin moulding are crude with lots of flash and bubbles. Other resin manufacturers seem to improve with each new release - but not, apprently Unicraft.

I'm quite good at scratchbuilding and love Flankers - but I had to give up on the Unicraft T10 Flanker prototype - it was so bad.

Caveat Emptor....

Ken

I have their MiG 7. It has all the faults mentioned above and more - large blobs of resin where canopies should be, for example. I would disagree with the "perfectly" buildable but echo the lots of hard work. I've been working on it on and off - mainly off - for some years now and it is approaching the merely appalling.

Edited by Graham Boak

Igor does a bunch of subjects no-one else would tackle but they're by no means entry-level resin kits. I definitely suggest having a lot of experience with short-run kits - plastic and resin - as well as a healthy spares box and a ton of reference material.

I have their MiG 7. It has all the faults mentioned above and more - large blobs of resin where canopies should be, for example. I would disagree with the "perfectly" buildable but echo the lots of hard work. I've been working on it on and off - mainly off - for some years now and it is approaching the merely appalling.

I've not seen the MiG-7 so maybe that is worse than most but have seen others that have resin full of bubbles. I've also built the Su-15, my build is not on BM but as Ken shows with his model they certainly can be done. Like any kit it depends on how much you want the finished model as to how much work you're prepared to put in.

Igor does a bunch of subjects no-one else would tackle but they're by no means entry-level resin kits. I definitely suggest having a lot of experience with short-run kits - plastic and resin - as well as a healthy spares box and a ton of reference material.

Exactly!

Steve

Many thanks guys for all the input, I had noticed the flash and bubbles, but it looks so outlandish that it has to be built, but not until I have a few more short run kits under my belt, will start looking for reference material before I build it.

Again many thanks for the advice.

Jim