1/72 Airfix B-25H/J Mitchell

Time for another update.

After glueing the final gear bay doors I noticed something obvious is missing, the "thingy" that opens and closes this door when lowering or retracting the gear.

DSC_0215_zpskgngty9v.jpg

Once again I opted to scratchbuild the piece, and used electrical wire again.

DSC_0217_zpsmqvker1l.jpg

Here is the same done on the other side.

DSC_0219_zpsxuujbx6f.jpg

And both sides.

DSC_0218_zpsn7warzuz.jpg

The front gear wasn't missing anything terribly obvious, apart from part of the gear (probably also retracting mechanism) going inside the bay.

DSC_0222_zpscrjsvm9d.jpg

I've used electrical wire insulation for this.

DSC_0223_zpsl0wjtdjl.jpg

Then it was time to start appying decals. I started off with the Airfix supplied star & bar insignia. It's a bit thick, but conformed nicely with some Microsol.

I after I did the two wings, I matt coated to see the results and was happy.

Then it was time for the scheme decals from ESCI...which is when disaster struck :poo:

I really should have tested the scheme decals at the start of this build :banghead: The decals all (tested 3) broke up after a few seconds in water.

DSC_0227_zpst3nmtweh.jpg

When touching it with a cotton but it broke up even more.

DSC_0228_zpsdxh2xd8y.jpg

Trying to transfer it it disintegrated into tiny bits.

Luckily I tested this with unneeded decals from the same sheet, however the decals were useless.

I could change my scheme to my second choice, but that would require major changes to the paint, and needs the star & bar with red bar insignia. And since I've already matt coated over the blue star & bar decals, this wasn't an option at this late stage.

Then I remembered from a previous time I used dodgy decals (not nearly as bad as these though) where the instructions read to first spray the sheet with gloss varshish

before using it. I don't have gloss spray at the moement as my local supplier is out of stock for the next 3 weeks!

I had semi gloss though, and tested on some unneeded decals. I seems to transfer in one piece, and after testing several

decals like this I sprayed my schemes decals and let it dry.

45 minutes of silently praying and violently swearing (or was is silently swearing and violently praying? I don't recall) I transfered all the decals without any breaking up.

Apart from some silvering (no doubt because of the varnish) - which I can live with - it came out okay :thumbsup:

DSC_0235_zpsn6zoqtom.jpg

Here it is matt coated, and I must say it looks a lot better than when it was gloss.

I still have to glue a few bits and do some post shading and weathering which will hopefully make it look the part.

Cheers

Jimmy

• Like 5

Good save with the decals! For future reference, I always keep a bottle of Microscale Liquid Decal Film handy for eventualities such as this.

Martin

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

I though I'd add the two aerials (or whatever it is) below the nose I see on photos of B-25H's.

First I drilled two holes for the aerials which would result in stronger adhesion.

DSC_0215_zpsfwasryso.jpg

I started by carving toothpicks to use for the aerials, since I would need something quite strong and thin. Before that inevitably failed, I realized I could use this

DSC_0216_zpsmnafzi7y.jpg

Worked pretty nicely. Don't know why it looks skew in the photo, since I made sure it lines up with each other.

DSC_0218_zpsjq0g3pve.jpg

The aerial wire will come later.

Then I finally glued on the engines

DSC_0221_zpsgspccndx.jpg

DSC_0220_zps8txytij4.jpg

And after that I glued the wheels on.

DSC_0225_zpsmalwsy6c.jpg

It's really starting to feel like it's almost finished.

This just to show what I have done with the rear fuselage gun positions prior to glueing the windows

DSC_0217_zpscbguexow.jpg

Apart from the props and nose guns, all that's left is the dry pastel and oil weathering stage, which I am really looking forward to!

• Like 5

A short update, while I'm finishing up the final tasks for this build. Apart from the two propellers, all bit's and pieces are now glued!

I thought before glueing the propellers (which still needs some touch up paint) I thought I'd start with my dry pastels for a panel shading effect. I won't post a pic now and leave it for the final shots when finished. Though don't take this as a declaration that it looks good, I'm still on the fence as to deciding if it looks good or not.

Something else I started was exhaust stains on the engine nacelles, to mimic what I have seen on photos of B-25H Mitchells around 1944.

b25h_echelon_zps1qcwfztr.jpg

Most people would have attempted this with an airbrush, but as I am a brush painter, I had to try other methods.

DSC_0218_zpshiqcgpu4.jpg

I used oil pastels mixed with thinner (mixed brown and white). Here is is very subtle here (you might not see it) and I am not finished yet. After it dries I will add slightly different color shades and build up the effect.

• Like 3

This has shown real modelling dedication and tenacity. The Mitchell looks very nice and details like the corrected intakes are icing on the cake. Really inspiring work :)

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

At last this project is finished, and it's been quite a build! This kit has a ton of shortcomings, and I've attempted to fix some if them. You will without doubt still be able to find inaccuracies after all the work I've done.

It would be far fetched to say I recommend this kit. Truth is, I don't. However if you find this kit for a bargain price, AND you want to add a lot of detail via scratch build or detail sets, THEN you might enjoy it. I really enjoyed building this kit, but I won't attempt an Airfix B-25 again (at least until it's been re-tooled).

I'd like to thank everyone who gave me tips and advice during this build. In the end this was more of a learning project than anything else, and if I were to redo this kit after all I have learned, it would look a lot better.

I also thank everyone who gave compliments (deserving or not) during this WIP, as well anyone who just viewed anonymously.

WIP-100_1853i_zpsn23xa4mk.jpg

Please refer to the RFI thread for more pictures.

Cheers

Jimmy

• Like 7

Great WiP and a lovely result Jimmy - you should be very pleased with that :)

Lovely job, love the B-25.

I especially liked the faded tail control surfaces. I could not do such a good job using a paintbrush. A great work and a beautiful model!

Great result and a really fun build to watch!

Martin

Thanks everyone, I appreciate it.