1/500 2199 Yamato

The only way would be to add a separate white LED but there is no room to do it. The issue is the size of the gun opening only being about 4mm in diameter and the RGB LED being 3mm.

I tried using 0604 SMDs for the red and blue with a separate white but then the pulse build up looks crap!

The other way would be to reduce the intensity of the fade up pulse but I think that looks good at it is.

Will see if I can think of another solution.

greetings everyone

Time for a small update. I have finally gotten round to installing the lights in the smaller engines. I would like to have placed a frosted clear disc over the hole at the base of the insert, but space does not allow for this, so I had to put the 5mm LED inside it. As I said, I would much preferred to have the LED hidden, but I just couldn't make that work. The insert is painted in Alclad Duriluminum as is the inside of the main engine nozzle - just because I think it looks cooler than plain 'ol grey. I haven't finished painting the outside of the nozzle just yet, so pics of that later:

IMG_1774_zpsgsydqnh0.jpg

IMG_1775_zpsabfdfib8.jpg

IMG_1777_zpstg0zc7dl.jpg

The observation decks have had their light boxes installed and are working just fine:

IMG_1762_zpswdygdruo.jpg

IMG_1769_zpshngormrh.jpg

The super structure has been base painted in Dark Sea Gray - a move away form the blued tinged grey of what's in the show (Never really a fan of that colour). I'm sure the die hard fans will have kittens :D I just need to do some weathering on it and I'll consider it done. I also broke yet another barrel off a gun and lost it to the great carpet monster, so that'll have to be considered battle damage :)

IMG_1783_zpsyeddfgoy.jpg

IMG_1784_zps4kadqq9g.jpg

IMG_1785_zps0rjkaglh.jpg

IMG_1786_zpslj7g2asr.jpg

IMG_1787_zpspuqvbpy0.jpg

Well, that's it for now, will be back again soon with another update

thanks for looking

MH

• Like 4

Thank you :)

Greetings once again

Thought I would show you the finished pics of the superstructure - it is now weathered and ready to be installed. I used pigments and very lightly dry brushed it I really like how it's come out - even the wife commented on it, so it must be alright :)

IMG_1790_zpsxpm3qwpi.jpg

IMG_1791_zpsz7xswy8m.jpg

IMG_1792_zps1g2blahf.jpg

IMG_1794_zpsvnozvwee.jpg

IMG_1795_zpsz7xourhs.jpg

IMG_1796_zpspnlgtn15.jpg

The engine is also finished and ready to be installed. I loosely attached it to the body mostly so I could see how it was all going to go in. Because I am not putting any detail inside it, I'll have plenty of room. The lights are not that bright because I realised the battery is pretty much flat. I attached a fresh one before and almost blinded myself.

IMG_1800_zpstc6hqubz.jpg

IMG_1801_zpspbhpcwlk.jpg

IMG_1802_zpswttxcxrz.jpg

The decking is also painted and weathered lightly and is ready to accept the main batteries. I just need to paint them first and then they're ready to go in too.

IMG_1798_zpsfwltpmjl.jpg

IMG_1797_zpsrdbll85j.jpg

Well. that's it for now, but thanks for looking

MH

• Like 6

Greetings and salutations

Things are progressing nicely. The main parts are all together and ready for final assembly. I am patiently waiting for the lighting boards to arrive so I can have them all wired up. Once they're in, it's the finishing line ahead.

So, starting with the main gun batteries, they're all done. I ended up gluing the barrels into position because they were wobbling around and falling off, which is not very conducive to a good display. I placed them in a position I liked and there they shall remain :)

IMG_1803_zpsu1gkja9y.jpg

IMG_1806_zpsfwqpspfe.jpg

IMG_1808_zps0jqpre7l.jpg

IMG_1805_zpsyjlxfzea.jpg

Next up, I have sorted out the lighting for the main superstructure. I used 2 LED's instead of one to ensure maximum light coverage. Bandai have rather ingenious "plug" system for the LED to sit in. The one designed for it is obviously completely different, but it's easy enough to stick 2 LED's in place of the one for a much better result

IMG_1809_zpsffvgkdx7.jpg

IMG_1810_zpspf6uxc0s.jpg

I have also put together the bulk of the lower half of the ship and fed through all relevant fibers and put the respective fibers in place. I have also pre-washed the panels lines using Tamiya's Panel Line Wash which should make painting easier

IMG_1813_zpsor6f55p9.jpg

IMG_1814_zpsedidxwpu.jpg

IMG_1815_zpsme90jd1g.jpg

IMG_1816_zps0ywvc3vu.jpg

I have also begun painting the top half. I've pre-shaded the panels using paper to ensure a nice straight line and used russet brown as well for some streaks. Once the paint is on, you won't see much of this - but it will help with giving tonal variations to to over all finish - I hope

IMG_1817_zps5nurvvan.jpg

IMG_1818_zpsnxcjoyoj.jpg

IMG_1820_zpsq6efjxfu.jpg

Well, that's it for now, but I will take some more pics once the paint has gone on. Speaking of paint, I am going to do something slightly against the show and paint the inside of the Wave Motion gun in the same colour I have the engine nozzles - I think it looks quite awesome myself and much better than plain 'ol grey

Thanks for looking

MH

• Like 3

thanks bud :)

Thought I may as well show you all how the paint work came out. I'm pretty happy with it. The brown did mostly disappear as expected but left gloss streaks underneath - which is what I was hoping for. It'll be a shame to loose it all once the clear coats go on, but that's the way it goes

IMG_1822_zpsbxr0slxk.jpg

IMG_1823_zps5rar3lok.jpg

IMG_1825_zpsdsqaz07k.jpg

IMG_1826_zpshel82pxx.jpg

IMG_1828_zpspraks9ng.jpg

IMG_1831_zpsyinecx8u.jpg

IMG_1836_zpsahzvtnmg.jpg

IMG_1835_zpsweaa3dzq.jpg

IMG_1837_zpsugxcmocu.jpg

IMG_1838_zpszpzcowgs.jpg

As you can see above the bottom part of the hull has also had it's first coat of paint. The panel lines are not that strong in person, however, it seems that the camera disagrees with me, so I'll do another pass or two and then some post shading where needed.

As always, thanks for taking the time to have a look

MH

• Like 1

Thank you very much guys.

I had to do a repair job on the superstructure last night after the wife accidentally knocked it off my desk and somehow broke the smaller batteries and another small barrel from the side guns, plus a couple of other things. Nothing a bit of glue didn't fix :)

Anyways, thanks for your interest guys, it's greatly appreciated

Si

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

greetings once again

With the impending arrival of my lighting boards, I thought it a good chance to make sure everything is still working as it should. Most of it does and continues to do so - however, the rear main battery gun wasn't working at all, no matter what I did. So, I had to take it carefully apart and inspect. All parts were still there and attached but none of the SMD's would light up.

So, drastic action then ensued and the easy part of changing out the barrel SMD's went without a hitch. The range finders though were a totally different kettle of fish. Because of the way I had originally installed them, there was not way in hell I was going to be able to replace them in the same manner. So I've had to be a bit creative and use fiber optics- namely, the 2mm fiber. However, again because of the design of the kit I had to try something different and heat them gently to create a 90 degree bend. Then the fun part - actually getting them installed. I did it, albeit a bit messy but they're in there and work really well. A 5mm Green LED inside the turret supplies the light for them.

IMG_2076_zpsjjozpb1q.jpg

IMG_2074_zpsejqr9sez.jpg

IMG_2075_zpsbfemerhf.jpg

IMG_2077_zpsjsqq2gux.jpg

IMG_2079_zpsllqheeax.jpg

IMG_2080_zpscs9pocip.jpg

Mr Surfacer takes care of light leaks and gaps and then it's off to the paint shop for a re-spray

Still trying to work out the best way to run the wiring out from the bottom of the ship to the base and still have the ship removable, and also trying to find room on the actual base itself for the buttons. Might need to make some mods to the bottom of the base. Will see how that works out.

More to come soon

MH

• Like 2

I received my lighting boards today - and all I can say is WOW! Talk about nicely packaged. Warren even did up a little label for the box :) It's the small touches like this that make it ..... feel nice and professional

All the boards come in their own individually labeled bags and are very nicely soldered etc - each complete with screw terminals - so no soldering connections required

It also came with very comprehensive instructions that I've had to seek clarification on a couple of times - and that's more because of me being a technical dunce rather than the instructions themselves.

In some ways, I really hope Warren makes this a lighting kit to sell to others because it really is worth the small(!) cost but my selfish side loves the fact I have something no one else does :D

IMG_2089_zps8vsmauzu.jpg

IMG_2090_zpsylly8oeq.jpg

IMG_2093_zpsdpk9vuoz.jpg

I had to share this with you guys because I am so super chuffed with these

thank you so much Warren - on so many levels! From my princess like requirements, dumb questions right through to the final delivery - you have been awesome! :thumbsup:

Now I just hope I don't find a way of screwing the installation up ;)

Simon

• Like 1

No problem MH, glad to be of service.

thank you so much Warren - on so many levels! From my princess like requirements, dumb questions right through to the final delivery - you have been awesome! :thumbsup:

Might get that put on a t-shirt!!

time for a quick update.

Now that the boards are here, I can gauge what needs to go where etc and it's back to hacking and cutting to allow the electronics to go in

I have also cemented my decision to fix the ship to the base permanently and run the cables through the stand legs. I have cut some covers to go over the legs once they are done

I have also installed the 2 buttons into the stand which activate the main batteries and Wavemotion gun and the power jack is on the other side.

I had to cut away a fair amount to be able to get them in but they look nice and neat sitting there. I was going to use a lit button but that was proving to be just too hard to get in

I am yet to install an on/off switch but I shall do that shortly

I have also installed the lighting boards for the engine and the Wave Gun The Engine works beautifully and I am yet to test the Wave gun, but I am more than confident that it will work as specified

IMG_2105_zpsqj9tord9.jpg

IMG_2106_zps70dj3cbx.jpg

IMG_2108_zpsrk9x2701.jpg

IMG_2110_zpsjy0izcd8.jpg

IMG_2113_zpshwq0scha.jpg

IMG_2114_zpsnale7uyp.jpg

IMG_2116_zpszfmohmja.jpg

IMG_2118_zpszdrlncgi.jpg

IMG_2103_zpscegv6ycu.jpg

Well, that's it for now, but the work continues

Till then,

Thanks for looking