1/500 2199 Yamato

Yeah - it is well worth it!

I spent most of this afternoon getting the boards in etc. After re-reading the instructions, I got it all to go together - well, almost all of it

I was about to install the main batteries when I realised that none of them were working properly yet again. Anyway, I finally put it down to not scraping the copper wires enough but by then I had already taken the guns apart and for the third time, re-engineered them. I have had to order some different SMD's for the job, but what I did was drill out the base of the barrel and I will feed the SMD in from the muzzle and stop it about half way down.

I experiments with Fiber Optics but found they just weren't bright enough. I should have done it the final way the first time! Would have saved me all this hassle

I also worked out how I am going to secure the ship to the base and that is with screws through the legs and into the ship. I have already checked it out the back end and it works nicely.

The super structure is also wired in but here is where I think I will either cry or just swallow it - Okita's cabin light is now no more and I can not replace the SMD. I wired it all in and did a check to see if the lights all work etc and I shorted it out because I forgot to put on a resistor. :oops::shit::raincloud::angry: Serves me right for loosing concentration at a time when I really needed it

IMG_2119_zpsxoqavxam.jpg

IMG_2120_zpskxxhwjre.jpg

IMG_2121_zpsaayytagw.jpg

IMG_2123_zpsu1owrd5d.jpg

IMG_2125_zpsxsgmfqqe.jpg

IMG_2126_zpszbfcodps.jpg

IMG_2127_zps0mpdzt1t.jpg

IMG_2128_zps7ymbdbtv.jpg

IMG_2130_zpsobjm8qso.jpg

IMG_2131_zpsh3whav5q.jpg

Well, that'll be it now for a couple of weeks until the new SMD's arrive and I get the rest of the lights installed. If anyone has any ideas what so ever about what to do with the top cabin, I am all ears

Thanks for looking

MH

I was just thinking that having a soundtrack with Susumu Kodai telling the guns to fire, and the sounds of all the guns firing in sequence might be pretty cool.

Great build, love the lighting effect.

Edited by Av8fan

Well, that'll be it now for a couple of weeks until the new SMD's arrive and I get the rest of the lights installed. If anyone has any ideas what so ever about what to do with the top cabin, I am all ears

Thanks for looking

MH

He's in the bathroom so turned the lights off in his room when he left :) Very energy conscious fellow :)

• Like 1

I've just found your thread, nice work so far, those lighting effects you're going to have are going to really bring the model alive :) Sorry to hear about your electrical and accident based misfortunes though, I can't really think of anything unless you can find a way to tunnel in from the underside. I'm sure you'll have considered and rejected an option like that already though.

I've just found your thread, nice work so far, those lighting effects you're going to have are going to really bring the model alive :) Sorry to hear about your electrical and accident based misfortunes though, I can't really think of anything unless you can find a way to tunnel in from the underside. I'm sure you'll have considered and rejected an option like that already though.

Thanks Amanda :)

No, no option has been completely rejected. I'm thinking about seeing if I can dismantle it and install another one

What's modelling without a few mishaps eh?:)

Mind you, I could've done without this one though

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I finally have an update for you. Apologies for the delay - things came to a halt after I needed more SMD's for the main batteries. They are all here and now everything is all packed inside and after a small hitch with the wrong switch type, I have tested it and everything works as it should.
I'm on the home stretch now. Last bit of tidying up paint here and there, the final weathering and it's done

IMG_2171_zpsxxft8haw.jpg

IMG_2174_zps3owpdmqv.jpg

IMG_2175_zpsrde14tso.jpg

IMG_2180_zps8vfm9ite.jpg

IMG_2179_zpstsqyfjzl.jpg

I'm also having a bit of fun with one of the Seagull's that come with it. I hollowed out the cockpit area, then drilled out the windows and carefully filed them back nice and neat, wrangled in an SMD and threw it in. I also made a small cockpit that fits inside so it doesn't look like an empty space. The Engines were also carefully drilled out and an SMD placed at the rear. I also cut off the tails because they were just too thick. New ones were cut up to shape. Once it's all done, I'll have it flying alongside the Yamato :)

IMG_2184_zpsq4p0ynp1.jpg

IMG_2189_zpsvdactuox.jpg

IMG_2191_zpsy0aot00b.jpg

IMG_2196_zpsm71u3zpg.jpg'

IMG_2198_zpsvexnpmfe.jpg

that's it now until the final pictures. Thanks for looking
MH

• Like 2

Will be pinching that idea for the seagull when I build mine!

All you need now is to learn how to solder with enamelled wire on the SMDs then you won't have the thick wires to hide!!

Looking forward to seeing how all the lights look on the fully built kit.

Cheers,

Warren

• Like 1

Hehehehe, yeah, I'm pretty normal, although I am sure others may disagree :)

I can solder with the copper wire now. I just wasn't scraping off enough of the coating first and using a lighter to burn it off is not a good idea. :)

Everything is done and working, but I am waiting on paint now (ran out of the primary color). Hoping to get more done on the Seagull. I'm pretty happy with how it's coming out so far

Will, I don't know if you've seen it but I finished off that Terminator I bought at Expo! Didn't think I would start it this year but it was my project for the club meetings for the past couple of months because didn't fancy lugging the Yamato from home to club and back.

Si

Oh that's very nice indeed. What colours did he use. I originally painted mine in the Vallejo duck egg green but it looks more like a colour from a hospital ward than from the AFV so I scrapped that and went with the colours I have now

Yes, it's in the AFV RFI section. I can't link it on this iPad :(