1/72 Airfix civvie Tiger Moth

Ah the trials and tribulations of rigging Paul! The experts make it look so easy.....but it sounds like you're been through it tonight!! My philosophy is that no experience, no matter how painful, is wasted providing you learn from it!! I'm sure when you get started again all will go well. And yes, you're right in a sense about the rigging on a larger scale aircraft being easier simply because of the size, but then would you be satisfied with rigging that simply went through pre-drilled holes or would you want to add turnbuckles - which as we know produce their own problems? :) :)

Max

PS Your last picture is valuable for showing the correct dihedral on the lower wings. The main problem with the Revell 1/32nd kit is that there isn't enough dihedral so the wings look too flat so the "sit" of the aircraft is completely wrong. Correcting that is another story.

Thanks boys. No chance this was gonna hit the wall Chris. I've only got 2 1/2 weeks to get it finished. Definitely learning from the experience Max and still don't hate it......... yet :coolio: And the dihedral is purely down to the kit. No skill whatsoever on my part ;) About to head into the shed and tackle the rest of the rigging. And I'm even looking forward to it. Wish me luck :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Max - With regards to the dihedral in the Revell kit, I've read that the interplane struts are about 2mm too long and therefore affect the lower wing dihedral. Just looking at my kit now and I reckon you'd get away with lopping 1mm off each end of the interplane struts :)

Yep, that should be fine Paul. The only thing you have to watch out for when putting it all together is that the dihedral of the top wing isn't affected, ie that the lower wing doesn't drag down the upper.

Max

Sounds cool thanks Max. Here's where the Tiger is up to so far. All the rigging bar the rudder is done. Worked out hanging a clamp of the thread keeps it tight enough while the glue dries. I partly bent 1 of the interplane struts whilst tightening some rigging but I saved it. Unfortunately the wings are now not lined up with each other. I think this is because I rigged 1 wing before the other. It's a learning curve I guess. Not much I can do about it now :weep: :weep: :weep: The undercarriage is modified and on as well. I'm really happy with how the rigging has gone and a bit disappointed I'm almost done with it. As some as the rudder has been rigged I'll be able to put some colour on it. I still have to match the blue and add some detail to the engine once the cowl is painted . Here's the pics :)

26EE6681-5743-4861-8180-9FA8775B3860.jpg

The technical flying wire tensioning device
2B9909E7-BBDC-4DA7-89C9-390DD32898E6.jpg

Undercarriage on
4D403F81-517D-4C33-8DA1-BDC3CCDCC752.jpg

Elevator rigging
1201BE14-BA97-4F0C-8078-6D80884E6804.jpg

Almost done
E5BD57B0-1FE5-40C7-B604-5937143A10AD.jpg

51353B9A-567F-4952-8FE8-0CC747C806EC.jpg

• Like 1

She looks really good Paul, thanks for posting such an informative and honest thread; we're all on a learning curve with our builds and if sharing successes and failures, problems and how we overcome them, helps others then that's all worthwhile. I'm interested to see that you're doing the complete build before painting - I hope that doesn't cause any difficulties. Are you a brush or airbrush painter?

Max

Thanks mate. If I help someone else not screw up like I did then it's all good. I figured with the colour scheme, it'd be easier to paint when it was almost complete. I'm also an airbrush painter. I'll have to brush paint the interplane struts as there's no way I could mask and airbrush them. I hope it doesn't give me dramas either :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

Thanks Chris. As with most things modelling, I've found I need to give stuff a go because normally, said things aren't as scary as they seem. 2 examples were Alclad and biplane rigging. I often thought that they were too hard and a bit scary. I don't bat an eyelid now using Alclad (love the stuff) and even though I'm no rigging expert, it's not as difficult as I thought. It really pays to do read peoples builds (like the ones here), watch youtube videos and ask the dumb questions. Most importantly have a crack at it. I can see a lot more biplanes, especially Tiger Moths in my future purely for the challenge of the rigging. I just need to finish the biplanes I have (1/32 Tiger Moth x2, 1/72 Tiger Moth x 3, 1/72 Gladiator x1, 1/48 Stearman x1) before I buy anymore. The evil self keeps saying I need a 1/48 Airfix Hawker Fury :Tasty: though. (Geez he rigs 1 biplane and he thinks he can do it all :mental::mental: ) :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Edited by hrtpaul

Interesting struts to the rear of the main undercarriage member. Are they specific to your plane or have I been missing something on my builds?

Well done with the rigging too! "1/72 Tiger Moth" and "match" don't belong in the same sentence!!

Regards,

Adrian

[edit] I always do matching wires each side as I go to keep it symmetrical. I found out the same way as you did!

Edited by AdrianMF

Adrian - Thanks mate :) Those struts on the undercarriage are on this particular aircraft though I have seen pics of others with them as well. LOL re the match. The next one I do, I will be using your suggestion about doing matching pairs of wires. Live and learn :)

Interesting struts to the rear of the main undercarriage member. Are they specific to your plane or have I been missing something on my builds?

Regards,

Adrian

TM%20undercart_zpslzap2bfn.jpg

Looks like Airfix have "conveniently" left them out of their kit!

Max

• Like 2

Ah i guess it makes sense if there's a flexible joint at the middle of the struts.the outer legs can still pivot and the middle triangle is stable. I am going to file it under "stuff underneath that I ignored" for my first three, but on number 4 I will do the right thing!

Thanks for the education.

Living and learning (sometimes),

Adrian

Update time again. With the rigging finished it was time for some colour. On Eric's recommendation I sprayed the Tiger with white Aluminium Alclad which as usual went on really well. Also as usual it showed up a few flaws but unfortunately I just don't have the time to fix them. I was really happy with how the rigging came up after being painted. Just the effect I was after. So she'll dry and cure over the weekend and then I'll get stuck into colour matching the blue, painting the cowl and detailing the engine. I was worried I might not get this done by the time I go to back to work again but so far so good :)

1F66A043-8C8A-497A-95B5-3DA0DBFF395A.jpg

1F66A043-8C8A-497A-95B5-3DA0DBFF395A.jpg

7BD7B813-3608-4001-9746-649D2D2EC325.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks guys. Like I said there's a few things I'm not happy with but I just don't have the time. I ordered the 1/72 Xtradecal civvie Tiger Moth decal sheet a couple of days ago so I'll have a few more little ones to do. I also bought a 1/48 Airfix Hawker Fury for even more rigging goodness :analintruder: :analintruder: :analintruder: :analintruder:

Edited by hrtpaul

Been sick as a dog this week so haven't got bugger all modelling done :weep: :weep: :weep: I managed to colour match the blue, paint the cowl and finished painting the exhaust. The last thing I finished today was the base that AMY is gonna live on. I'm really happy with how it came out. There'll be a few more of these in my future :)

07FA9B0A-383B-4EF7-9B5D-18C221919DCE.jpg

765A3BF7-CE8A-4C1E-AE56-7CAB4EE52EFD.jpg

Edited by hrtpaul
  • Like 1

That's a good way of displaying the completed model Paul, I've been giving some thought to mine too but haven't come up with any firm conclusions yet, but possible along similar lines. I know there will be at least one figure in it though (not those nasty ones from the kit!)

Max