1/72 Airfix civvie Tiger Moth

Hi guys. First time group builder here so be gentle. I'll be building this aircraft in 1/72 using the new tool Airfix kit :-

1401391M.jpg

I spent 1 1/2hrs flying in this beauty last Sunday and it was awesome. I'm going to build the 1/72 kit and give it to the owner as a token of my appreciation. On the day, I took about 400 pics (mostly detail ones) of this thing. I have just bought a Revell 1/32 Tiger Moth that I want to use those pics to try and super detail it. I won't get that finished before November so that's why I'm going with the smaller kit to start with. There won't be too much detail and no rigging as I'm not the comfortable with rigging biplanes yet. The only drama I'll have is doing the rego on such a small rudder. See how we go. Cheers Paul

• Like 4

Hello Paul, welcome to the GB. That's a lovely colour scheme, the silver and blue really work well together and I'm sure the finished model will look good and will be appreciated by the owner. I can imagine how much you enjoyed your flight, one and a half hours is a reasonable amount of time to be up but it passes so quickly doesn't it?

You're wise to start off with the smaller and more simple build though having modelled Tiger Moths in 1/72, 1/48 and 1/32 scales I have to say that the latter is my preferred scale because of the extra detail you can add.

I hope both go well for you.

Max

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I'm not home from work for another 10 days but I'm really hanging to get started. When I get home I have 4 weeks to get the this done so I can take it with me back up to work to give to the owner. I've got a few other models to wrap up before I can start the 1/32 kit. Fingers crossed all goes well. Cheers :)

Edited by hrtpaul

After spending hours last night reading builds of this little Tiggie I've decided to give the rigging a crack. Sooooo much info here it's not funny. Got the invisible thread for it today so it gets started in 7 days. Can't wait :)

• Like 1

After spending hours last night reading builds of this little Tiggie I've decided to give the rigging a crack. Sooooo much info here it's not funny. Got the invisible thread for it today so it gets started in 7 days. Can't wait :)

Well done Paul! When I have a rather daunting piece of modelling surgery to do (and I'm always hacking bits about!), razor saw in hand, I remind myself that it IS only plastic. :)

Max

OK guys here we go :popcorn: This is way smaller than I remember :lol::lol::lol: I'll be doing this one outta the box with my usual Red Roo seatbelts and a bit of detailing. I've added a spar connector on the top wing from fine wire. The slats have been sanded off as they aren't fitted to this airframe. I've also modified the front cowl and opened some hole for more accuracy. I'll be adding a couple of the prominemt pushrod tubes inside the intake as well. I wasn't gonna rig it but had a rush of blood to the head and I'm now gonna be rigging her. I've got both EZ Line and invisible thread so I'll wait a bit longer to decide what I'll use. Got the cockpit together and the fuse closed up today. I also drilled all the rigging holes. I drilled all the way through the wings so I can cut the thread off flush with the wing and then touch up the paint afterwards. Does anyone know if you can paint EZ Line or invisible thread? It'll be easier to paint once rigged with less chance of screwing the paint job. I'll probably use Alclad for the silver and I've yet to paint match the blue. There'll only be 2 decals on it and that'll be the rego by DamoDecs. Anyways onto the pics :)

Always looks rough close up
567D3B44-489E-4FCF-9994-95BACEFB88DF.jpg

Just before the IP's went in
D6628883-87E0-4817-A7A0-83969A9DAA84.jpg

Fuse together. Toothpick for scale
81D2DD60-BD8E-4CFF-ADB4-E14947B24416.jpg

Separated the elevators from the horizontal stab
8A037B31-A362-4DE6-B174-8B24AF943422.jpg

A few of the wings with holes drilled and cabane struts fitted
99EC360E-AF75-461B-83D6-22338E490942.jpg

EAD054BB-DC32-4330-AFA9-BF0DCB79B740.jpg

E134F6CE-A992-4EA2-83AF-DC478B53CB1B.jpg

Edited by hrtpaul
  • Like 4

That's a very convincing start Paul....yes the 1/72nd Tiger Moth is incredibly small so I'm full of admiration for any of you chaps/chappesses who can manage to model in such a small scale. I bought one of these when the kit first came out but found it too small for my old eyes, but I dug it out this morning and MAY have a go with it some time in the future.

And Yes, you can paint EZ line, this is a 1/72nd Gladiator that I built 4 years ago rigged with black EZ line:

fin3.jpg

fin8.jpg
Max

Gorgeous Gladiator there Max. With my new found enthusiasm for biplanes the Airfix one will have to come out of the stash sooner rather than later. Thanks for the tip with the EZ Line.

Thanks Ray it's getting there :)

Hey guys. Update time again. Really enjoying this build and learning a bit at the same time. A few little things filled but fairly good in that regard. The bottom wing took a little bit of work to get right. So bottom wing, horizontal and vertical stabs fitted. The last of the rigging holes have been drilled as well. I've scratched up the elevator and rudder control horns as well as the rudder horns on the from thin styrene. I'll probably prime it tomorrow and then redrill the rigging holes before starting to rig the top wing before it gets fitted :)

857645DC-F42B-42FB-B654-0E67E085D6A8.jpg

Rudder horn

39A431BE-6579-4A87-A214-C3A75A66B5BC.jpg

Toothpick for scale

87DC4B09-7166-457D-BBA9-4CCD9A1EBC3D.jpg

Elevator and rudder control horns. Bit over scale but I think it'll be ok

2C815A4C-FE00-4468-82D6-E7DA15727C1D.jpg

58A20A16-9B26-4FC0-88CC-0F0A0C45EB43.jpg

I'll be leaving the engine off until I've finished the rigging and painting :)

• Like 2

Quality work there Paul, I keep having to remind myself of the scale of this kit. There are several points about Airfix's 1/72 offering which are superior to the old Revell 1/32 one such as the inclusion of the bracket below the rear cockpit which secures the wing to the fuselage.

Excellent work, keep it going!

Max

Bit of progress tonight. Rigged the top wing and it wasn't too hard. Hopefully the rest will go well cos I picked up my 1/32 Tiger today plus another (yes 2 x 1/32 Tigers) and yet another 1/72 Airfix Tiger. Here's the pics :)

The start
7060BC37-4C70-4B9C-9E4D-DA63C2D2B6D6.jpg

Done
15D828FB-0A16-43E9-A646-5314D0C6A7F1.jpg

6A95064E-1747-4C6D-8412-EE16863BAFC9.jpg

Tiger overload then Paul: welcome to the 1/32nd world! The initial stages of rigging always reminds me of a bad hair day (not that I can remember that far back when I had some!) but then suddenly....voila....it all goes right! In theory of course....:)

Max

Robert - yeah 2 x 1/32 Tigers. 1 will be a super detailed (hopefully) version of AMY. No idea what the second one will be. Just couldn't help but buying the 2nd one :hypnotised: :hypnotised: :hypnotised:

Max - I hear ya about the rigging. Like I said I hope it does go well cos I've bought a few biplanes recently purely on my newly found enthusiasm (as yet untried) for rigging :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Ray - with this one I'm using smoke colouered invisible thread :)

Tonight it was me vs the rigging. Haven't finished it yet but it's getting there. I had a few dramas tonight. These include breaking the cabane strut rigging thread when trying to tighten it with a match, managed to rip the front IP out when removing the rigging superglue, rerigged the cabane struts and then melted a cabane strut when using a match to retighten the thread, rebuilt the cabane strut and yet again rerigged the cabane strut. I've also put all the flying, landing and interplane strut wires through the holes in the bottom wing. Thought I'd give it away for the rest of the night. Despite all this I'm still enjoying my first rigging experience. It'll definitely be easier on the 1/32 Tiger than this 1/72 one :)

31A3C297-06FB-40CC-849C-3EB7AB0FC311.jpg

That's it for tonight
FB3217DB-7F42-4323-BF88-578676BCBE3E.jpg

• Like 1