1/48th Academy F-4J

Shaun

At the very least, some nice aftermarket decals for said kit.

On the F-4J(UK) did the RAF use the periscope fitted to the left side for the back seater that they used on the Spey-engined variants?

At the very least, some nice aftermarket decals for said kit.

On the F-4J(UK) did the RAF use the periscope fitted to the left side for the back seater that they used on the Spey-engined variants?

Most if not all had the glass pane covered in readiness for the periscope, when delivered to the RAF. They certainly were added on some - if not all ! Plenty of photo's on the internet showing this, and indeed on this forum.

Quite a lot of them got the Periscope - which is about all that really needs work on the kit, because it is beautiful is most respects.

XtraDecal make a 74SQN set that you can still get from Hannants, but its a bit of an abortion - Roundels: wrong size and colour - Tigers Head: wrong colour - but the outlined SQN Letters are useful and if you can fix the Tigers Head, get some correct roundels from the Xtradecal generic sheet, you're most of the way there.

Yellowhammer did a set too, but I was too lame and never got a set before sellers started asking ungodly sums of money for some 'stickers'!

Or drop Martin from RAM models a line... ;) He seems to be hinting at some forthcoming AWESOMENESS of the Phantom variety

Dan

D

Quite a lot of them got the Periscope - which is about all that really needs work on the kit, because it is beautiful is most respects.

XtraDecal make a 74SQN set that you can still get from Hannants, but its a bit of an abortion - Roundels: wrong size and colour - Tigers Head: wrong colour - but the outlined SQN Letters are useful and if you can fix the Tigers Head, get some correct roundels from the Xtradecal generic sheet, you're most of the way there.

Yellowhammer did a set too, but I was too lame and never got a set before sellers started asking ungodly sums of money for some 'stickers'!

Or drop Martin from RAM models a line... ;) He seems to be hinting at some forthcoming AWESOMENESS of the Phantom variety

Dan

D

Those Yelowhammer sets are still available from Yelowhammer aka Fine art of decals...

Oh of course - you need to happen upon some slime lights as Bill above correctly points out! Well played Sir!

@feldr - where can one find this Yellowhammer stuff? Someone needs my money, I guess :)

D

Don't waste your money on the Yellowhammer decs, very badly researched!

How what must be the most photographed RAF Phantoms have been so poorly served is beyond me, Yellowhammer, Xtradecal and Superscale all missed the mark.

Yellowhammer bad also?

@Dr. Evil, I do concur. In fact, this goes for all marks - how can one of the most photographed RAF jets (FG.1, FGR.2, J(UK)) be so poorly served? Especially in the AD markings...

D

I cannot see Academy reissuing it as a Tiger, as the British market does not seem to be high on their list of priorities. Eduard, on the other hand, might be a different matter altogether, and I could easily see one of their special editions based around the F-4J(UK) sometime in the future.

I like to think of that as a hint, if any of our Czech friends are watching. :bye:

• Like 1

I cannot see Academy reissuing it as a Tiger, as the British market does not seem to be high on their list of priorities. Eduard, on the other hand, might be a different matter altogether, and I could easily see one of their special editions based around the F-4J(UK) sometime in the future.

I like to think of that as a hint, if any of our Czech friends are watching. :bye:

Yes! I like that idea a lot! Though let's hope if they do, they do some proper research and get the decal's right - unlike their issue of the Airfix Lightning F1a! :fraidnot:

Edited by Bill Clark

how can one of the most photographed RAF jets (FG.1, FGR.2, J(UK)) be so poorly served? Especially in the AD markings...

I was just going to recommend AirDOC's set "The FGR.2 (F-4M) of the RAF in Germany" - and then I noticed it's out of print for roughly ten years now...

Edited by XF442

@XF442 - I took a chance on a Czech online store recommended by a chap on here, which claims to have them in stock and claims to have shipped them... We shall see tho; paid with Paypal of course, just in case! :)

D

Yes! I like that idea a lot! Though let's hope if they do, they do some proper research and get the decal's right - unlike their issue of the Airfix Lightning F1a! :fraidnot:

So do I, still miss the days watching the F4's during my air traffic days at Wattisham. I also made suggestions to the CO at Waddington (an ex- F4 jockey ) when I was based there to save the 74 Sqn F4J that was still complete, but on the BDRT inventory. That one, sadly, fell on deaf ears & was scrapped

Regards Adrian

Edited by Radpoe Spitfire

The Phantom was hit particularly hard because of the Conventional Forces in Europe treaty, and there are only two F-4J(UK)s left; ZE359 is in the American Air Museum at Duxford back in its US Navy colours, and ZE360 is still with the Fire School at Manston.

Of all UK Phantoms (52 FG.1s, 118 FGR.2s and 15 F-4Js) only 18 still survive.

Oh yes please would love a 1/48 RAF F-4J and a Royal Navy version next ?

Guy

The Phantom was hit particularly hard because of the Conventional Forces in Europe treaty, and there are only two F-4J(UK)s left; ZE359 is in the American Air Museum at Duxford back in its US Navy colours, and ZE360 is still with the Fire School at Manston.

Of all UK Phantoms (52 FG.1s, 118 FGR.2s and 15 F-4Js) only 18 still survive.

There is of course the F4S at East Fortune, Never a RAF jet but maybe an easy conversion from the F4J kit? The F4S was an updated F4J IIRC?

Selwyn

There is of course the F4S at East Fortune, Never a RAF jet but maybe an easy conversion from the F4J kit? The F4S was an updated F4J IIRC?

Selwyn

It was indeed a conversion and all F-4S started their lives as Js. Not an easy conversion for modellers though as adding the slats is not the easiest job, hopefully Academy will cover this variant as the S wore some very interesting markings. It should be said that according to some sources some aircrafts did not receive the slats immediately and these were hard to tell from a J. In the end however all got the slats

Because of the presence of the structural reinforcements typical of the S, the J(UK) may actually be considered slatless S

Edited by Giorgio N

• 4 years later...

A bit of thread revival. Does anyone know if Academy’s F-4J is only short of decals for a UK version?

I’ve tried researching it, but I’ve not found anything definitive. My main concern is that the radar warning receiver fairings on the intakes are not in the kit.

I’m likely wrong but wasn’t the F-4J UK actually more of an N or S than a J?

On 8/11/2015 at 9:16 PM, Giorgio N said:

It was indeed a conversion and all F-4S started their lives as Js. Not an easy conversion for modellers though as adding the slats is not the easiest job, hopefully Academy will cover this variant as the S wore some very interesting markings. It should be said that according to some sources some aircrafts did not receive the slats immediately and these were hard to tell from a J. In the end however all got the slats

Because of the presence of the structural reinforcements typical of the S, the J(UK) may actually be considered slatless S

Not often, Giorgio needs correcting but the S at East Fortune is one of the very early ones and didn’t get the slats fitted. 

It really confused me a few years ago when I went to see it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jens said:

I think the DECM ducts for both the N and the J/S are on sprue K.

Externally the F-4J(UK) was almost completely identical to the standard USN F-4J.

Jens

Thanks Jens. I’d seen some photos of the sprues but I couldn’t make them out. 

6 minutes ago, iainpeden said:

Not often, Giorgio needs correcting but the S at East Fortune is one of the very early ones and didn’t get the slats fitted. 

It really confused me a few years ago when I went to see it.

I thought the F-16 was confusing with the numerous blocks yet aircraft of the same block having different engines and crazy things like that. I’d always assumed things were straightforward with Phantoms. Starting to see they enjoy similar complications with versions.