HMS Bellerophon, 1982 - The Last Fighting Battleship *FINISHED!*

Alan P

There is a started Gneisenau in my stash and i am thinking about to convert her into the upgraded version with more heavy guns and a longer forecastle.

Good idea Bernd. She was fatally damaged in real life whilst refitting for 15-in guns. It would look very impressive!

You're right about the kit, they are very easy to build and fit very well.

• Like 1

Heller ships are a joy to build but like almost all older kits they need some care. Converting these kits in what iffs is a very nice idea, full of creativity !

Good idea Bernd. She was fatally damaged in real life whilst refitting for 15-in guns. It would look very impressive!

You're right about the kit, they are very easy to build and fit very well.

Are there any heller 1:400 kits with serious whiff potential out there? Or some to simply avoid. Cos' I'm thinking about a modern Tirpitz 2.0 with some 16 inchers and a remoddled super structure/citadelle (I think that's how you say it)

Chomp chomp

-raptor

Edited by raptormodeller

You sound like you're on to a good whif option already!

I'm thinking about a modern Tirpitz 2.0 with some 16 inchers and a remoddled super structure/citadelle (I think that's how you say it)

Close! The citadel was the name given to the heavy armour-enclosed, protected section of a battleship - usually from just forward of the foremost barbette to aft of the rear barbette, and would have included the ammunition handling areas, machinery spaces and conning tower. Some even protected the steering gear with a layer of heavy armour. The remaining areas of the ship had splinter protection only. This "all-or-nothing" principle was designed to save weight after the Washington Treaty came into effect - the first battleships to use the citadel principle were the Nelson-class, which was why they had all their armament forward. The US South Dakota-class were probably the best examples of this design compromise. <geek mode off> :)

On 12/25/2015 at 3:27 PM, raptormodeller said:

Sorry to sound impatiant, but, but... Is it finished?? I can't wait. :mike::yahoo::bounce: The suspense is making me jump in front of my compuer. Literally.

Fear not, and cease thy jumping, for the build continueth...

tn_DSCN4933

Deck painting completed - I use Colourcoats IJN Deck Tan, with oil wash shading and planking.

I kept the cling film attached to protect the sea base from any paint splattering:

tn_DSCN4934

The main guns have their mantlet and blast bags attached, no details or effects painted yet:

tn_DSCN4936

Overhead view shows the layout and deck details so far:

tn_DSCN4937

I'm very happy with how the deck came out. In this era of wood decks for practically every available kit, it's easy to forget how we used to do it with just paint and patience!

tn_DSCN4935

Just the flight deck markings to do, and I'll start on the details and fittings! I'm going to copy the aircraft carrier or LPD-style spot markings rather than the Tiger-class style, the big circles are just too fiddly for this stage of proceedings.

More soon!

Al

• Like 3

On 12/29/2015 at 2:29 PM, BerndM said:

Looking really nice, a good clean basis for some detailing.

Thanks Bernd. I can start with that now...

Finished the flight deck - not as nice as I could have done, but I am rushing a bit!

tn_DSCN4955

The codes and numbers are white pencil. the lines are vinyl strips.

Mid section is going well:

tn_DSCN4956

Everything you see is fixed on :) Exocet boxes fitted, and the secondary director and centre 6-in turret. Also done the first block of railings. All the paintwork and railings still need tidying up, but I'll do that at the end once all the bits are fitted.

tn_DSCN4958

Quarter view - the port/starboard turrets aren't fitted yet, i just need to fix their position.

tn_DSCN4959

Railings around the tower are fitted, as are the platform supports for the foremast platform. I made them out of some PE rotor blades from an SH-60 Seahawk!

So this is where we are as of 2015....

tn_DSCN4957

I was hoping to make this my last build of the year, but i didn't quite make it.

:cheers: Happy New Year everyone :partytime: hope you all have a good one, and here's to 2016. Let's hope it's a better one!

Al

• Like 4

Happy new year Alan! And boy is she coming along nicely, best of luck for finishing this beast. I'm seeing this thing on its own little plinth on the quarter deck of HMS Belfast in a glass case.

On 1/1/2016 at 12:08 PM, raptormodeller said:

Happy new year Alan! And boy is she coming along nicely, best of luck for finishing this beast. I'm seeing this thing on its own little plinth on the quarter deck of HMS Belfast in a glass case.

I doubt that would ever happen, but it'll look nice on the window sill at home!

Couple of months late, but this is gathering momentum now....

tn_DSCN4960

Midships section just about done - added the boat handling crane, ships boats, SeaCat launchers and directors. I will try to make some missiles as it looks a bit bare without them.

tn_DSCN4961

Also added some liferaft canisters which seemed to be everywhere on the 70s ships. Now they're mounted I'll be able to paint the black line between the two halves.

tn_DSCN4963

Bit blurred but here's the port side - railings added on the main deck, small boats and davits, and some companionway steps to the first level. Of course, the railings in front of the Exocets would be dropped if they were readied for firing! I also added a prototype SCOT dome on the third level wing to port.

tn_DSCN4965

Now the inboard stuff is mounted and the railings are fitted, I could fit the rear turrets and the 965 radar mack.

tn_DSCN4966

Here's the overall look up to this point:

tn_DSCN4968

tn_DSCN4969

It actually looks quite authentic!

Should have the main assembly finished by tomorrow.

Al

• Like 4

On 1/2/2016 at 8:19 PM, BerndM said:

Happy new year, Alan. It seems the last RN gun fighter is straight on course. The PE work is great, looks perfect !

Thanks again Bernd :)

Here's the last bit of WIP:

tn_DSCN4970

Forecastle railings and white anchor chains fitted. Lucky deck party who had to paint these chains white every day!

Finished off the railings around the radar tower and mack:

tn_DSCN4971

Also did the safety nets (stowed) around the edge of the heli deck:

tn_DSCN4972

All this PE is from old or unused sets. And lastly, I fitted the railings to the accommodation deck under the flight deck:

tn_DSCN4973

That done, I went round the whole kit touching up all the PE parts with paint, eliminating all (I hope) the exposed brass bits, and removed all the cling film and tidied up the waterline.

Now I can add the last modernising parts:

tn_DSCN4974

tn_DSCN4975

Modern firefighting and damage control stations. I also added some hi-viz lifebelts at vulnerable sites around the ship.

Last thing to fit was the Corvus chaff launchers and the foremast....

tn_DSCN4977

Yes, that means she's finally built!!

tn_DSCN4981

tn_DSCN4983

Six weeks late, and frustratingly, I did all this work in just over a week, so I could have finished it easily if I'd pulled my finger out. Usual GB performance resumed :raincloud: But on the plus side, my first finished build of 2016!!

I'll put some pics in What-If RFI (and probably Maritime as well, what the heck!) as the Gallery here is now closed.

All the best and thanks very much to the dogged few who followed the build to the end!

:cheers: Al

• Like 3