Fokker F VII 1936 Spain (scratch conv. Frog, 1/72)

Hi,

In the begining of 2000s. I made this scratch conversion of Frog/Novo kit of Fokker F VII "Southern Cross" into a improvised bomber made of civilian F VII b/3m during Spanish Civil War. The main work was around engines, but also different windcreen, side windows (as well as their partial lack due to bombs) and larger horizontal and vertical stabilizers were done. Unfortunately I did not corrected to curvature of upper fuselage what is a big mistake of Frog kit. This was my mistake also, sorry...Markings are from 1936, when machine was impossed to army by Republicans. She wear passanger colours and registration with red Republican's belts around wings and fuselage added. At present the same markings are available from one of version of Valom kit...The machine was shortly in this markings..Soon she was captured by Nationalists and served as 45.2 back as transport machine.

BTW - Almost exactly a year ago I was posting in my very first post another imossed three-motor passenger machine - Ford Three Motor in RAAF markings. Between them I posted almost all my collection...

Comments welcome

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

fvii DSC04786fvii DSC04787fvii DSC04788fvii DSC04789fvii DSC04790fvii DSC04791fvii DSC04792fvii DSC04793FVii DSC04794

Edited by JWM
Switch to Flickr
  • Like 25

Thank you Michael, Reini, Jason and Martin for nice comments and some more mates for likes also.

It was a great fun to make this conversion - and to study a real appearence of this machine. First source was article in Air Enthusiast Twelve (I think) on Fokker F VII when profile of this machine is presented but without red strips. From this article one cannot find, that windscreen was different then in Southern Cross. But it can be found on many photos of Spanish Fokkers, for example here:

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/between-the-wars-1918-1939-a/spanish-civil-war-republican-air-force-fare-25733-4.html

Some photos I have found too late, when model was finished...

Cheers

Jerzy-Wojtek

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well done Jerzy-Wojtek,
I have been trying to model SCW aircraft. I did try a modification of the Frog kit but didn't succeed - you have succeeded admirably.
The colours are gorgeous and the lettering and markings on the wings spot on.

Great to see one actually built!

Best regards

TonyTiger

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

As I said one for five rescued I am returnig to RFI. So I skipped all my FWs but this one I would like to show to new members, sorry for this :)

Regards

J-W

A great conversion and another beautiful tri-motor.  Can you remember which paint you used for the natural metal?  It looks really affective.  When I was at junior school someone donated their collection of made up models to my class which, not surprisingly, were soon reduced to just the main elements and any small parts were quickly lost!  One of them was Southern Cross.  I read a great biography of Charles Kingsford Smith, called 'Smithy'.  Definitely worth a read for any who are interested. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

A great conversion and another beautiful tri-motor.  Can you remember which paint you used for the natural metal?  It looks really affective.  When I was at junior school someone donated their collection of made up models to my class which, not surprisingly, were soon reduced to just the main elements and any small parts were quickly lost!  One of them was Southern Cross.  I read a great biography of Charles Kingsford Smith, called 'Smithy'.  Definitely worth a read for any who are interested. 

Thanks for comment. Sad story for the donator...Anyway - he should expected this. I think the silver was humbrol 191 - which I like due its brightness

I am excavating those old threads rescuing them from photobucket crisis - 1000 photos I upload so far, 2000 still left :(

Cheers

J-W

• Like 2

BerndM & Colin1967, many thanks :)

11 hours ago, Colin1967 said:

You could always buy the expensive Valom 1/72 Kit in Spanish colours, which is in my stash, however, I think the FROG version looks the part.

I  did this model years ago... - no Valom kit existed, even no Valom company existed :)  Now I would prefere Valom kit.

BTW - let me say something on prices in our hobby. The expensivenes is a bit relative - if you play with model for two, three, four or even more weeks - it is far less if you would take instead just a single beer every second of those evenings...I agree that spending let say 50 euro for a kit which is then in stash for ten years is much difficult. Threfore I am avoiding resin kits. I did some but only in case that I build them more or less imediately (ok, let say - up to one year in stash... ;) )

Jerzy-Wojtek

• Like 1

Quite agree Jerzy,  I'd much rather spend my hard earned cash on a model aircraft kit I want, rather than on lots of beer - Yes, I do enjoy a good pint, but, once in awhile.  My hobbies come first and I get more satisfaction from building them over say a month than spending the same in evening down the pub having a pint and a meal.  Enjoy the hobby, regards Colin.