Hasbro Millennium Falcon Challenge

• 1 month later...

Here is my engine lighting test shots. I can't get them to glow as brightly as I had hoped. Can anyone give me some advice on how to get them brighter? I have seen someone light this baby up with only 5 LEDs. Presently the light box is silver inside, black out. There are 7 Cool White LEDs fitted running from a 9V battery. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

IMG_4605.jpg

IMG_4598.jpg

IMG_4597_1.jpg

• Like 3

Maybe a silly question, but are the LED's 9v, as well?. Worth checking, as a 12v LED will run on 9v, but obviously, won't be as bright as it could be.

I can't tell from the pics, but is your engine lens clear or frosted?. Light seems to get dispersed more evenly through a frosted or scuffed lens.

I have found that using white inside your light box also spreads the light better than using a silver colour.

Hopefully, this is helpful. ;)

• Like 2

Maybe a silly question, but are the LED's 9v, as well?. Worth checking, as a 12v LED will run on 9v, but obviously, won't be as bright as it could be.

I can't tell from the pics, but is your engine lens clear or frosted?. Light seems to get dispersed more evenly through a frosted or scuffed lens.

I have found that using white inside your light box also spreads the light better than using a silver colour.

Hopefully, this is helpful. ;)

Hi Smiffy. Thanks for your reply, yes that is helpful. I am not too sure if the LEDs are 12v, they may well be as I purchased them pre-wired. That makes a lot of sense. I will try using some of my other LEDs as I wire them myself and see if there is a difference. The lens is frosted, both naturally and I also sanded the life out of it. I may even have to reposition the LEDs as they run in a straight line across the back, rather than curved like the hull of the falcon. Thanks again.

Most prewired LEDs are 12V so will be slightly dimmer at 9V.

I used a 3 strips of 12V LEDs on mine with a frosted lens, they give a better spread of light but need a 12V supply.

It might be worth sanding the LEDs to help diffuse the light.

Cheers,

Warren

• Like 1

HI Warren. Thanks for

Most prewired LEDs are 12V so will be slightly dimmer at 9V.

I used a 3 strips of 12V LEDs on mine with a frosted lens, they give a better spread of light but need a 12V supply.

It might be worth sanding the LEDs to help diffuse the light.

Cheers,

Warren

HI Warren thanks for the comments. I still haven't tested my lights yet, but it sounds like what I have is 12v LEDs fitted. I did file flat spots over one LED to spread the light, but it became even duller than what was there. So I gave that idea the flick. Will do my test today and see what happens. Cheers.

Kind of looks like the engines are in the startup sequence the way it's lighted now. Might it be that the bottom of the storage container you used is too cloudy for the lights?

G'day TGA. It could be. The light box is painted silver inside, and black on the outside. I suspect that if the plastic is left completely white, this will have a greater impact. It is possible, that the container plastic is the problem, am happy to try a clear piece to see what happens. Thanks your comments.

While I am trying to get the engine lighting sorted, I have been tinkering on other small bits and pieces.

Got out the dremel tool and have begun to do some battle damage to the upper surface of the hull. This will have some backing card in place with bits of wire etc, to give it some depth.

IMG_4704_1.jpg

I have also glued some brass tube into the top turret area to take the guns. I cut way too much away, so have had to fill it. If you are careful, you won't need to do this.

IMG_4706.jpg

IMG_4705.jpg

Cutting away the docking bay/escape pod areas on the hull allows the parts fitted with the resin detail to fit better.

IMG_4707_1.jpg

IMG_4708_1.jpg

• Like 3

Engine lighting box Mk II. This is the first lighting box pulled apart, and the new one under construction. I managed to snap my frosted front screen, so will be looking for an alternative. The light appears too directional, so I may resort to LED light strips and power it separately from the other light with 12V. This way there will be two switches for lighting and the cockpit.IMG_4715.jpg

IMG_4712.jpg

IMG_4710.jpg

IMG_4716.jpg

IMG_4723.jpg

• Like 2

I would go with the strip LEDs for the engines with a piece of clear plastic sanded to make it opaque. I used 3 rows on mine, 1 white & 2 blue so it can have a hyperdrive mode as well.

The first 15 seconds of this video show the effect. Apologies for the video I thought I had some stills but can't find them.

To avoid having 2 supplies you can run the rest of the LEDs at 5V via a Voltage Regulator.

Cheers,

Warren

• Like 2