Hasbro Millennium Falcon Challenge

I understand that this "Toy" has been out for some time now. I saw some builds of it on YouTube and decided I had to have one. I picked it up for $50 Aus (whatever that equates to in GBP I am not sure) , but have seen it for as low as $30 Aus. Good Value considering the Fine Moulds (which is smaller) is now over the $1000 Aus mark. Not being satisfied with some of the basic detail in this Falcon, I decided to purchase some of Randy Cooper's Resin details along with some of Shapeway's 3D printed pieces. This bumped the price of this build up significantly, but it is still bigger and cheaper than the Fine Moulds option.

The first steps of this project involves cutting away some of the plastic to fit replacement parts. This includes the landing gear, the cockpit glass areas, the gun turret glass and the exhaust ports. I will fill the windows with clear acetate at some point, and use Randy Cooper's excellent resin exhausts and metal etch to complete this area. Seen in the photos below are the Shapeway's radar dish and the top guns. I also have a 3D printed cockpit which will be lit, but this is a later part of the build. The plastic on this toy, as you may have heard is polyethelyne (?), which ultimately means it won't accept paint or some glues. It either needs to be washed down with acetone and primed with automotive primer, or sprayed with "plastic Prep" which etches into the surface and helps for paint and glue adhesion. The plastic is easy to cut and carve with a sharp blade, but can leave tiny burrs all over the place. Sanding can be tricky often leaving burrs too.

Hopefully the photos speak for themselves.......

IMG_2288.jpg

IMG_2289.jpg

IMG_2277.jpg

IMG_2297.jpg

IMG_2285.jpg

IMG_2282.jpg

IMG_2292.jpg

IMG_2296.jpg

IMG_2293.jpg

• Like 4

Hi - I've seen a similar conversion on this host kit somewhere else (perhaps on another forum) but I did not realise there was PE/resin aftermarket parts available to take away the chunkiness and obvious errors of the base kit.

This is looking quite interesting - I'll enjoy watching this one progress

• Like 1

I'm doing the same with mine and adding lights, though it has stalled at the moment.

Great start, enjoy cutting away the plastic to fit all of Randy's resin side parts. Word of advice, study the pictures on Randy's Facebook page very carefully, don't do what I did and just start hacking!!

• Like 1

I've just bought one. The aftermarket prices are a bit off putting. I think I'll watch how things go before committing to buying any.

The Randy Cooper resin is a bit daunting at first but goes together well, just needs a lot of cutting and carving plus you will need to do something with the cockpit.

Shapeways have a number of upgrade parts and looking at the side sections these fit directly to the kit with little modification, they are however some what dearer!

Cheers,

Warren

• Like 1

Those Shapeways parts were designed by a guy on the RPF. They were done to make masters for the resin upgrade set available from him & M.Salzo. The resin set is a much more cost effective way to buy them. I have a set on order & I can post up some shots, when it arrive, if anyone is interested.

• Like 1

Those upgrades looks nice but I can't justify to pay few times more than I paid for the thing.

• Like 1

Those Shapeways parts were designed by a guy on the RPF. They were done to make masters for the resin upgrade set available from him & M.Salzo. The resin set is a much more cost effective way to buy them. I have a set on order & I can post up some shots, when it arrive, if anyone is interested.

Hi Smiffy. I would love to see the parts once they arrive. I'd like to see how they look compared to the Shapeways, clear parts. Cheers.

Hi guys. Regarding the cost of extra parts....yes they are expensive. My justification for spending this kind of money was knowing that I wasn't going to get a almost studio scale falcon for any cheaper. The base kit is an absolute bargain. With the extra parts, you can pick and choose which areas you want to detail.....to do a complete overhaul would be far more costly. The Shapeway parts are dearer, but I found that you could scroll through their products and find sets of the pieces I wanted. This saved a few pennies. All things said, we all work from budgets and whatever we choose to do is our call. I have seen this Falcon, simply repainted, with no extra parts and it comes up a treat.

Now....for an update.

The plastic doesn't take paint or glue well. So I scrubbed it with Acetone, as Randy Cooper suggests, then primed with auto primer. The paint still came away. I had only done the top, so I spend the next two days, scrubbing away the paint with acetone, until it was clean enough to work with.

I sprayed the surface with a clear automotive primer...this enhances adhesion. I then primed it with grey auto primer. No problems now, glue and paint stick like....well.. like glue.

The exhaust grills are assembled and then glued to the gull. I used super glue, and then ran a two part epoxy around the inside join for added strength.

The docking rings were also glued with epoxy. These were a tight fit, but they probably needed more sanding to get the perfect fit.

The landing bay covers, simply dropped into place with some super glue.

IMG_2325.jpg

IMG_2300.jpg

IMG_2320.jpg

IMG_2322.jpg

IMG_2299.jpg

IMG_2302.jpg

IMG_2318.jpg

• Like 8

Hi noelbarnes,

what quality are Shapeway's radar dish and the top guns, Frosted Ultra Detail? :hmmm:

The parts look fine, not as grainy as many others, I have seen. :speak_cool:

Hi there. The Shapeways parts although frosted seem quite clean. Once I get some primer on I will get a better idea. I also have the cockpit parts and they look really good with all the drilled holes for optic fibre.

Here's another update. Went out and finally got myself a Dremel. Wow!! Does this save time or what? I have started trimming plastic away to fit the engine grills and side detail.

Below you will see.....

Dremel with back panel removed.

Resin side panel added behind cockpit area

A shot of engine lips before and after resin details added.

Before shot of between mandibles

After shot between mandibles with resin inserts added.

IMG_2335.jpg

IMG_2333.jpg

IMG_2331.jpg

IMG_2326_1.jpg

IMG_2328.jpg

• Like 2

If you are fitting the plates to the rear of the engines make sure you leave a gap for the PE grill, I didn't and had to remove them all!!

Hi mad monk....I have been wondering about this. The ones in the photo have been glued in, should there be a slight gap in front of the plastic lip and the back of the plates......or can I get away with sitting the grill on top of the plastic lip?

Sorry for the delay, yes you need a gap for the PE as it is the same depth as the resin frame. I made the same mistake, I used CA to fix the plates so they came off fairly easily.

Great work so far, must get back on to mine.

Cheers,

Warren

• Like 1

Hey, guys! Thanks to MadMonk for pointing me over here from the Bandai SW Releases thread. NoelBarnes' build is coming along nicely; I will have to see if I can find some time this weekend to shoot pix of the Tony & Mike Salso cast resin versions of the Shapeways parts for comparison purposes (if that's okay...)

I do notice that Randy's parts are 'tribute' detail as they don't actually represent either of the filming miniatures. I don't say that to be negative, as they are a great looking enhancement to the Hasbro 'toy' (model?) and I think they actually look better than the 32" version details... certainly a lot more depth to them.

That aside, Tony designed his sets to represent the 32" model since much of the toy's details conform to that standard. However, there are several features that are straight from the 5-foot filming MF (aka 'the original') so it is a mixed bag. The toy has been assessed as the most accurate 5-footer 'form' representation even if the majority of the molded detail is from the smaller miniature.

In short, the Hasbro MF is an interesting starting point for any number of modeling interpretations. Even a straight 'paint job' will result in an impressive display piece. The fact that the basic shapes are 'spot-on' basically means all that is needed is 'greeblie' work to get it to whichever standard you desire. I have a feeling that there will be many builds using this 'raw material' for years to come - even if Bandai were to release a large scale version!

I'm watching developments closely as I attempt to keep from carving myself as I work on the 'poly-propylene' beast!

Regards, Robert

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have had all kinds of trials getting the pieces together. I usually sand, shape, glue, un-glue, sand and scrape and re-glue. It has taken way longer than I had anticipated. I have just decided to dive in, and if it is not quite right, maybe a lick of paint and some weathering will draw your eyes away from any issues. Most of the resin is in place, I will now start to put the cockpit together, or the lighting stuff.

IMG_3228.jpg

IMG_3231.jpg

IMG_3232.jpg

IMG_3237.jpgIMG_3236.jpg

IMG_3238.jpgIMG_3239.jpg

• Like 8

Cool

This is really coming along nicely - I've said so before but those resin and PE add-ons really bring the host kit back to life.

The Falcon is one of my all time oldie fave's from Star Wars - you've invested well there.

looking forward to seeing more from you soon

John

• Like 1