Revell 1/32 Tigermoth - glider training school aircraft - Now Finished

• 2 months later...

Hi All

Managed to get in some work on the Tiggie, have added the top wing. I had to shorten the struts between the wings as per Max's entry on the first page and this went quite well. I tried lining up the struts to the fuselage as best as I could and even though I thought they were straight there was a slight kink. I ended up having to cut the left hand diagonal strut brace and once I get some rigging on the left hand wing I will then address this matter.

Here she is on her evolving home made card jig (I am getting a wooden jig for my Birthday soon)

2nknwnd.jpg

There are some better pics but I can't load them at the moment as TinyPic is not working now

Will try again tomorrow

Thanks for looking

All the best
Chris

• Like 7

Well done Chris, your determination puts me to shame because mine are gathering dust.....though I do look at them wistfully quite often! Your homemade jig looks the biz and certainly seems to be doing the job, but you'll find the proper one more sturdy I expect. Good job my friend, keep modelling and posting!

Max

Hi All

Managed to get some more photos uploaded

Thanks Max

Hi Andrew - I will be using invisible thread and some elastic rigging thread. It's what I have already really.

DSCF8998_zps7xwnylga.jpg

DSCF8999_zpsurupqrdw.jpg

DSCF9001_zpsc8z2gnpo.jpg

DSCF8997_zpsq4objcyc.jpg

Thanks for lloking

All the best

Chris

Edited by bigbadbadge
  • Like 6

I look forward to seeing this rigged. I've always used fishing line but recently I invested in some streamline rigging, I was hoping to see somebody have ago as it looks pretty scary. You've convinced me to go camo rather than civilian on this one.

Interesting thing about these Tiger Moth kits. The Ebay price. A few months ago a Revell rebox went for £55.00. The following week another £15.00. Now they are going for £25.00 or less.

Andrew

Interesting thing about these Tiger Moth kits. The Ebay price. A few months ago a Revell rebox went for £55.00. The following week another £15.00. Now they are going for £25.00 or less.

Andrew

Crikey! I paid £15 for mine - original Matchbox boxing - at a show recently. This thread has inspired me to get going on it very soon, and also given a few useful pointers. Look forward to seeing yours finished.

Hi All.

Thanks for your kind comments, I am glad it has help inspire someone to do this lovely little kit. Have a look at the Entries on the first page of this thread for the angles of the lower wing and the strut length kindly posted by Max (Galgos) if you want to go down that route.

Hi Andrew - re the rigging, when we were doing the group build there were various experiments (mainly by Max) re the rigging. I was initially going to use the all elastic thread from Uschi Van der Rosten (Sorry if incorrect) but with the strut issue I had on the fuselage strut brace, I decided to use invisible thread as once pulled taught and glued it will straighten the wing (it only needs a very small amount of adjustment) and then will be very strong also. I do have a plan for where it meets the wing though.

Thanks again

All the best

Chris

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hi all after finishing the Trimotor and prior to starting a larger project again which I am researching now, I thought I might resurrect this old build of the lovely Tiggie.  It has been a while as she was packed safely away for the loft conversion.  As the lower part of the house is on hold due to cashflow reasons I figured I might as well try to finish her.  There is still a long way to go though. 

Whilst she was in storage the Jig has been taking steroids and now has transformed itself from the weedy card structure into this wooden beast of a jig, and very handy it is too !!!

I have manage to fix the strut that I broke previously and it just needs a rub down and repaint.  So here she is doing the jig at the moment while I get ready to start some rigging.

ed7949f8-1bae-47a8-94a0-c5d506d02b91.JPG

af5cfaf9-dd57-4966-88f5-d873e78fbed3.JPG

749de07e-b3f3-4561-9936-aaec1f592fdb.JPG

Thanks for looking in.

All the best
Chris

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, galgos said:

Pleased to see this one resurrected Chris, it might spur me on to dig mine out again.

Max 

Hi Max 

Hope you are well  and it's good to hear from you.   Thanks fella it would be great to see your build back on the go too.   

Go on you know you want to. 

How is the beautiful Anson coming along ?

All the best 

Chris 

Been rather busy with this Chris, and now getting stuck into a complicated Bf110G4 conversion over on Large Scale Planes!  However the Tiggie keeps calling to me, as does the Anson though I guess both are more likely to be winter projects. Oh, I also have a "German Tiger Moth", a Bu131 Jungman nearly finished too!! :) 

• Like 1

Great to see this progressing Chris. I really must start my 1/32 version of VH-AMY that I built in 1/72 for the Tigermoth GB here a few years ago.

Max - As Chris said, get that Tigermoth of yours going again :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, galgos said:

Been rather busy with this Chris, and now getting stuck into a complicated Bf110G4 conversion over on Large Scale Planes!  However the Tiggie keeps calling to me, as does the Anson though I guess both are more likely to be winter projects. Oh, I also have a "German Tiger Moth", a Bu131 Jungman nearly finished too!! :) 

Hi Max 

That's a great model. It looks like a real aircraft on that lovely base.  

1 hour ago, hrtpaul said:

Great to see this progressing Chris. I really must start my 1/32 version of VH-AMY that I built in 1/72 for the Tigermoth GB here a few years ago.

Max - As Chris said, get that Tigermoth of yours going again :)

Hi Paulgreat to hear from you too.  Come on and get that Tiggie started. It could be an unofficial GB !!!

Thanks guys

All the best 

Chris 

• 1 year later...

Hi all

After finishing the lovely Airfix Spitfire in the Malta scheme and the Dieppe Whirlwind from the shelf of doom, I have picked this up again  from the shelf of doom to finish off.

I have added the fuel pipe, valve and operating rods and pivot

along with centre rigging and rigging at either end of the wing.

spacer.png

Then the elevator control cables are added along with front windscreen and some of the main rigging, juts got the two cables to rig the front upper wing to lower fuselage/wing to do then will paint Strbd wing struts and add pitot etc, sorry for image quality

2435cb70-3c04-4b90-8d08-57e01921cb6e.jpg

c5c130db-227d-441d-bfa9-dea3a74cf827.jpg

I have also been distracted wit this a further shelf of doom build, the Trumpeter 48th Sea Hawk, she has received some corrections to the nose, intake vanes, tail bullet fairing, front U/C bay and Cannon areas.  Getting more like a Seahawk now

cd6c21d2-8b9c-444f-9ad5-021bb9a2ab4c.jpg

Thanks for looking

Chris

• Like 4

Looking good with the rigging. Once I got started on them again, I have to say I found it very satisfying to work through my shelf of doom-ers. It probably won'ty stay empty for long!

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Looking good with the rigging. Once I got started on them again, I have to say I found it very satisfying to work through my shelf of doom-ers. It probably won'ty stay empty for long!

Regards,

Adrian

Thank you Adrian, getting there now, this is my second shelf of doom build, still a few to go through.  I was hoping to get them done before I start a new kit, but the urge to do a Navy Hunter is becoming too great !!! Must resist.

All the best

Chris

• Haha 1

Just catching up with this Chris. 5 years of modelling for £5 sounds a bargain to me 😉

Cracking work, and looks lovely in this scheme. (Are there any duff schemes for the Tiger Moth?)

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Quiet Mike said:

Just catching up with this Chris. 5 years of modelling for £5 sounds a bargain to me 😉

Cracking work, and looks lovely in this scheme. (Are there any duff schemes for the Tiger Moth?)

Thanks Mike, yes I was very lucky, I used to live about 150 yards away from my local model shop back in the day which was brilliant and could also get me into trouble occasionally with SWMBO!!! He knew what I like to build and would often put stuff by for me .  This was one of those he saved and so glad he did. I do miss the shop.

There's no duff schemes for a Tiggie, they all look splendid.

All the best

Chris  

I admire your tenacity Chris, the old British bulldog spirit! I still have my (uncompleted) Tiger Moth too but with the Silver Wings kits and rumours of ones from Special Hobby and ICM all in 1/32 scale in the pipeline I don’t think it’ll see the light of day again other than as a practice mule. Keep going with yours, it looks splendid! 

• Thanks 1