Revell 1/32 Tigermoth - glider training school aircraft - Now Finished

7 minutes ago, galgos said:

I admire your tenacity Chris, the old British bulldog spirit! I still have my (uncompleted) Tiger Moth too but with the Silver Wings kits and rumours of ones from Special Hobby and ICM all in 1/32 scale in the pipeline I don’t think it’ll see the light of day again other than as a practice mule. Keep going with yours, it looks splendid! 

Hi Max 

Hope you are keeping well.  Thank you very much, I have not got far to go now and she will be done.  I excitedly saw the Special Hobby planned one, wasn't aware of ICM though which ii their Gladiator is anything to go by should be good, I have two Gladiators the mk 1 an the Sea Gladiator in the stash.  I would love Airfix to do a 24th Scale Tiggie, that would be amazing.  We can but dream

Thanks fella for you support and assistance throughout the build. Would love to see the diorama one day.

All the best

Chris

• Like 1

Hi all

Done the main rigging and re painted the struts the correct colours. pitot and rudder etc next then a couple of remaining bits to add and she will be done.  Not sure how to tackle the spreader bar ? for the rigging yet.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Thanks for looking

All the best
Chris

• Like 3

Missed that before.  Outstanding work on the rigging.  If the Camel’s riggings turns out half as good I’ll be well pleased.

Stay safe

Dennisl

• Thanks 1

Looks very good Chris, well done.  Are you going to add the "dampers" in the "V" of the rigging, I just used a piece of thin plastic rod roughly rounded at each end when I did my Gladiator.  Each one just rests on the rigging.

DV3Ss7.jpg

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DMC said:

Missed that before.  Outstanding work on the rigging.  If the Camel’s riggings turns out half as good I’ll be well pleased.

Stay safe

Dennisl

Thank you Dennis, very kind comments. I am sure your Camel's Rigging and everything will eclipse my efforts fella, my turnbuckles are incorrect for this plane thank you for the boost though.

2 hours ago, galgos said:

Looks very good Chris, well done.  Are you going to add the "dampers" in the "V" of the rigging, I just used a piece of thin plastic rod roughly rounded at each end when I did my Gladiator.  Each one just rests on the rigging.

DV3Ss7.jpg

Thank you Max too , yes I was wondering whether to rest them nestled in the rigging , although if I have cocked up a bit then they will look a bit odd, or whether to cut it into sections and glue around the Rigging.   Talking of rigging and our conundrum of the correct ends, I saw another earlier biplane build and they had used the rigging directly to the wing surface an slid the brass tube over it and secured that directly to the wing and rigging which would be quite a good representation of Tiggie Rigging. Wish I had seen that early on in the build!!!

Worthy of consideration if you're going to be building the SH or ICM kits though.

Thanks guys

Stay safe

All the best

Chris

• Like 1

Yep, Bob’s Buckles micro-tubing is my go-to representation of turnbuckles Chris, not strictly accurate of course unlike the Gaspatch ones, but I have found them impossible to use.  I’d strongly recommend just resting the dampers on the rigging, it looks fine on the model! Good luck which ever you choose to do. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, galgos said:

Yep, Bob’s Buckles micro-tubing is my go-to representation of turnbuckles Chris, not strictly accurate of course unlike the Gaspatch ones, but I have found them impossible to use.  I’d strongly recommend just resting the dampers on the rigging, it looks fine on the model! Good luck which ever you choose to do. 

Hi Max just got my stocks replenished of the tubing and so am good to go with the rudder control cables now.  Yes I think you are right I will rest them on the cables as each time I pick up now I risk damaging it.  Thank you, I will see you over on LSP at some point too.  

4 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Slendid looking results on the paintwork here Chris - a mightily impressive finish. :clap2:

Thank you Tony, very kind of you fella.  

Stay safe and all the best

Chris

• Like 1

Hi all

I have done some more to this, scratch built windscreens and Pitot although I am not sure about that at the moment

all cables now in place too. Wheels and exhaust added. Not sure if of interest but here are some photos

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edit 20/07/20

A bit more done

New access doors from Plasticard and plastic rod

spacer.png

I have adde the pulleys and cable for the Port Slat not going to risk my luck adding the other cable

spacer.png

Bonnet on, added stay and handle to inside of bonnet, aso added the fasteners to the frame out of Bobs Buckles eyelets

spacer.png

Thanks for looking

Chris

• Like 5

Most definitely of interest Chris, you're doing a stellar job in my opinion.  I get the impression that this forum is more about 1/72 and 1/48 models so 1/32 is a poor relation....others may think differently of course.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, galgos said:

Most definitely of interest Chris, you're doing a stellar job in my opinion.  I get the impression that this forum is more about 1/72 and 1/48 models so 1/32 is a poor relation....others may think differently of course.

Thank you Max for your kind words it is a real boost .  I built the new windscreens after seeing you photo re the bars across the rigging , after seeing this I realised just how bad the kit windscreens looked, purely due to their thickness. Thanks again for your help and support.

2 hours ago, DMC said:

Pretty thing, Chris, and excellent photos.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks Dennis, am getting there now just got to build the access doors add the raised engine cowling, rigging spreader bar ? And prop and a bit of weathering.

2 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Lovely rigging! You're making good use of the larger scale - it looks like a full size museum exhibit.

Regards,

Adrian

Wow thanks Adrian a compliment indeed, that means a lot thank you. I wish I had rigged directly to the wings and used the tubing at each end it would have looked more prototypical.  I will do that on the Airfix 48th scale kit.

Thank you guys

All the best

Chris

Nice work Chris

I have one of these sat a couple of feet away from me. It's got a Delaware (Tesco now) price ticket on it saying £2.45. It isn't started but it will be, despite others releasing newer kits. You've shown very clearly that the kit can be scrubbed very nicely. These old kits deserve getting built..

I'll probably do something civilian.... plenty to choose from, maybe even a Jackaroo.. :)

Matt

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mattlow said:

Nice work Chris

I have one of these sat a couple of feet away from me. It's got a Delaware (Tesco now) price ticket on it saying £2.45. It isn't started but it will be, despite others releasing newer kits. You've shown very clearly that the kit can be scrubbed very nicely. These old kits deserve getting built..

I'll probably do something civilian.... plenty to choose from, maybe even a Jackaroo.. :)

Matt

Thanks Matt, very kind, wow £2.45 that  was a while ago, check them out on eBay now, they are going for a pretty penny nowadays. I was lucky getting this for  fiver from my much missed LMS, Hythe Kent Models.  

The Jackaroo sounds very interesting, and there are some beautiful civilian schemes to choose from.  It will be interesting to see what the new releases will be like from Special Hobby and I think ICM.  

23 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Love those two views in particular Chris. Stunning. 👏

Thanks Tony, very kind of you fella, I must admit I am very pleased with the model, hopefully it will look good on a grass base.

Thank you both

All the best

Chris

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

wow £2.45 that  was a while ago

Yep, that was when it was a brand new Matchbox release. Tesco, as it was back then, seemed to carry all of the Matchbox line. I think that price was good, even back then...

Matt

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mattlow said:

Yep, that was when it was a brand new Matchbox release. Tesco, as it was back then, seemed to carry all of the Matchbox line. I think that price was good, even back then...

Matt

I can still remember getting the 109 in our local Tesco in Eastleigh, in the very early 80’s. Even a knee high me appreciated the excellent box art. 

• Like 2

On 7/16/2020 at 12:53 PM, Mattlow said:

Matt

On 7/16/2020 at 7:54 PM, Quiet Mike said:

I can still remember getting the 109 in our local Tesco in Eastleigh, in the very early 80’s. Even a knee high me appreciated the excellent box art. 

I don't remember any models at our local Tesco . I was drawn to the Matchbox 32nc scale boxes though with the dramatic style of the plane moving and the tech image also in the corner. The first one I saw was the ME109 as a friend had been bought it and was making.  Great box art, although the subject did not appeal to me.