Hi,

I have only just started modelling again after a 30 year break, due to health reasons I needed a relaxing hobby (so why did I start modelling?)

Anyway I have recently fell in love with the Tiger Moth and have purchased 3 1:72 Airfix kits.

My plan is to build one in the silver RAF scheme, one in the much loved yellow and one in the half camo scheme.

For this group build I will concentrate on the silver RAF scheme which I am basing on the Classic Wings Moth which I was fortunate enough to have a fly in at the Flying Legends show at Duxford.

P1000931.jpg

I also got some spare decals so I can hopefully get the markings right and a painting mask for the camo version.

P1000933.jpg

Time to get started!

Nigel.

• Like 5

Welcome Nigel! I'm sure there will be lots of Airfix's lovely little Tiger Moth in this GB so plenty of opportunities to see what others are doing and maybe pinch some ideas or techniques!? Good luck with your builds.

Max

• Like 1

Thanks for the welcome all. :bye:

Don't expect too much from my effort as it is rather a long time since I've had a go at this. In my youth the models were bigger my eyesight better and my hand steadier but thats enough excuses for now :P

This is the plane I am basing my model on:

P1000787.jpg

Nigel.

• Like 1

Just enjoy your build and the GB Nigel, nobody will be "judging" you but valuing your contribution. If you learn something from others' experience or techniques that's an added bonus!

Max

• Like 2

Well I've made a start ;)

Not much to see really, just painted interior green (Humbrol 78) and then gave a wash of diluted black. Must admit never would of thought about using washes but noticed a lot of people here do and it does look quite good in daylight :D.

I'm not going to even attempt to get too clever with the detailing on this kit and it all very much new to me.

Any hints/tips greatly appreciated :thumbsup2:

P1000937.jpg

P1000938.jpg

• Like 3

Well done Nigel, the first to start! Regarding washes, yes they're a good idea if you want a used look. My own preference is very diluted Indian ink rather than paint randomly applied with a brush then blown with air from my airbrush which makes it go into corners, creases etc but keeps the flatter areas cleaner.

Max

• Like 1

Well done Nigel, the first to start! Regarding washes, yes they're a good idea if you want a used look. My own preference is very diluted Indian ink rather than paint randomly applied with a brush then blown with air from my airbrush which makes it go into corners, creases etc but keeps the flatter areas cleaner.

Max

Thank you I will give that a try :thumbsup2:

• 2 months later...

Not forgotten about this group build but I have had a bit of a nightmare with this kit :(

Think I have made every mistake possible but the worst problem for me has been the wing struts, they line up ok but trying to trim the centre sprue I snapped the struts, tried another pair from another kit and these had come away from the sprue in transit making it impossible to line up as they are so flimsy.

In the end I have hacked away at some match sticks and come up with something vaguely similar :banghead:

I think the problem you've had Nigel is a fairly common one. Airfix have tried to be helpful by "engineering" the strut linking braces to ease alignment difficulties but in so doing they've created a bigger problem because of the fragility of the struts. Well you've had a go, my philosophy is that no experience, good or bad is wasted providing you learn from it.

Max

• 2 weeks later...

Well done Nigel, she looks splendid in silver with the trainer yellow bands. All credit to you for persevering and completing, make sure you add some pictures in the Gallery.....and nobody's going to scrutinising your build for errors.

Max

• Like 1

Great work mate. That has come up very nicely. I hear you about the struts. I actually removed that centre sprue beforehand and fitted my struts individually with no hassles. I did this cos I probaly would've screwed up cutting it off with the struts glued on :)

• Like 1