Afternoon all,

Sorry to trouble you with another quwey regarding the Blue Steel missile :P

When viewing photographs of the Blue Steel missile being loaded onto the Vulcan and Victor, the upper tail surface appears to be missing from a few of those. So my questions are as follows: Was this fin removeable? When carried in the recessed bomb bay of the Vulcan and Victor, was the tail surface kept vertical and fitted into a recess or was it folded down?

Thanks,

Sam

Afternoon all,

Sorry to trouble you with another quwey regarding the Blue Steel missile :P

When viewing photographs of the Blue Steel missile being loaded onto the Vulcan and Victor, the upper tail surface appears to be missing from a few of those. So my questions are as follows: Was this fin removeable? When carried in the recessed bomb bay of the Vulcan and Victor, was the tail surface kept vertical and fitted into a recess or was it folded down?

Thanks,

Sam

As far as I know the upper fin was fixed and the lower fin folded. I could only find one picture of a blue steel with the fin missing and that was with a Victor, Just speculating , but as there was not a lot of room under the Victor aircraft it may have been removed for loading on this aircraft.

Selwyn

• Like 1

Mmm, so I presume that would suggest that the upper fin through the recessed bomb bay doors and into the bomb bay itself? I have a copy of a diagram from the ground handling manual as to the various connections between the missile and the bomb bay (i can't reproduce it here due to crown copyright) but it does hint to a fin-shaped hole in the bomb bay with (perhaps) two panels on either side of this cut-out which could be pushed inwards to allow the upper fin to be fitted? (only speculating)

Thanks,

Sam