Tsesarevich Battleship 1904

Shar2

It's been quite a while since I've built a model, mainly due to chronic back pain and depression. But having reviewed this kit HERE, I felt a spark of interest, so today I've broken the tools and paints out and sorted out the modelling table ready to go. I also thought I'd do a WIP and build review while I'm at it.

Gratuitous box shot.

boxart.jpg

• Like 6

Looking forward to seeing how this one builds up as i have been looking at it since i read the review... Good Luck

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Having got 80% of the way thru the 1917 version, Built ALL the tiny stuff then sprayed the hull light blue instead of light grey due to an eye infection & "more hast, less speed" syndrome , I look forward to some Shar-MAZEBALLZ magic....

(too TOWIE for a sunday lunchtime???)

Got the hull built up. The three gun sponsons per side have to be fitted before the hull sections are joined, do not try to second guess the instructions with this one. Also the quarterdeck needs to be glued to one hull section as it will not fit in place when the hulls are joined. Other than that the fit is fairly good, needed a bit of pressure on the bow and stern, but the bulkheads clicked into place. There is a gap at the join on the underside, which try as I might wouldn't close up fully, so a bit of filler will be needed. The quartedeck bulkhead is also a tight fit, but when in place really didn't need any glue. The main deck was also a click fit amidships, but needed to be taped down at the bows.

hull1.jpg

hull2.jpg

• Like 6

Built the turrets up. Having looked at the guns they are probably the finest IM barrels I've seen and decided it wasn't worth getting the barrel set, especially as the only one is for the 1917 version, although there is not a lot different. The main barrels have been slide moulded so have a nicely indented muzzle. I've also started on the superstructure. Nothing is glued down in these pics. Still debating on getting a wooden deck for her, but will have to decide soon as I'm getting a bit carried away with the build as it's going together really well.

guns1.jpg

guns2.jpg

• Like 6

Brilliant - looking forward to seeing this build unfold, and hopefully learning the best way to tackle this kit.

Regards,

Ross.

• 2 weeks later...

Right, after another extended interlude with work, family and life in general getting in the way, I managed to grab a couple of hours modelling and got the hull paint, the wooden deck fitted and a few over parts ready for primer. The lap joint on the centre section of the hull just wouldn't go together fully, so had to use a fair bit of filler in the end. Paints used so far have been AKAN, but they don't do the yellow/buff of the funnels, so I shall be resorting to my old faves, Colourcoats. I've also run out of AKAN white, so will have to try Alclads white primer as it seems the closest match.

paint1.jpg

paint2.jpg

paint3.jpg

parts.jpg

• Like 12