RAAF Roulettes Display Team Folland Gnat

Dynamo11

Hey all,

I've always loved the RAAF "Fanta Can" scheme, problem is the PC-9 and MB.326 aren't exactly my favourite aircraft. But then I remembered this Group Build was soon. So why not combine it with one of my favourite aircraft: the Folland Gnat!

The "History" bit:

The RAAF had long sought a permanent aerobatic display team in the vein of the RAF's Red Arrows and USN's Blue Angels. Although there had been teams previously they were only brief and officially "unofficial".
In 1970 it was decided to form the "Roulettes" for the RAAF's 50th anniversary, the timing couldn't have been more perfect as the RAF were willing to loan with intent to sell a number of former Red Arrow Folland Gnat airframes to fellow Commonwealth countries. High on the list were the RCAF and the RAAF.
An initial test-run with the RAAF was hugely succesful and by 1972 the RAAF had acquired 5 Gnat airframes, the distinctive "Fanta Can" livery also made them one of the most notable aerobatic display teams in the world.
The large combined Commonwealth fly-over at Elizabeth II's Silver Jubilee in 1977 was one of the Gnat's finest moments in RAAF colours.
The Gnat's were intended to remain in service only until the Late-70s however budget cutbacks meant the Gnat soldiered on well into the Early-80s.
The Gnat was phased out in 1983 and the Roulettes were temporarily assigned MB-326 trainer aircraft until 1987 when the PC-9 assumed the role.

Whilst the Roulette's are still well known around the world the heyday of the team was most definitely with the Gnat and it was difficult for any young Aussie growing up in the 1970s to have not loved the Roulettes and many still hold the 1970-83 iteration well within their hearts.

The Kit Bit:

Great thing about this build is it gives me a chance to get stuck into the 1/48 Airfix Gnat that I have been meaning to get to as well as giving me something a bit "different" to stick on the shelf. The only aftermarket extras as of right now I'll be using will be the Eduard canopy mask. At some point I'll have to grab some roundels and what have you but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

• Like 4

Cracking plan. Who could fail to love a brightly painted Gnat zipping around their skies. The Airfix kit is a joy to build and well enough detailed to not require aftermarket.

Thanks for the response guys, already got a few pre-lim ideas on the way it'll look but of course I don't want to spoil anything so you'll have to wait ;)

Nice idea, I have a Gnat build planned for an RAAF jet but not the Roulettes. My idea was that Gnats were procured instead of Macchis....

I did think this too but figured it would realistically place it too early for the RAAF to acquire the Gnat considering how early they started getting Macchis (unless I did my research wrong). Besides having the Macchi soldier on as the training aircraft allowed me to reconcile the timelines in the end.

That said a part of me wants to think the Gnat got replaced by the BAE Hawk, that in Fanta Can would look cracking too (in fact most sleek jets genuinely look great in it, I did see an ARDU Mirage III that also looked the bee's knees in Fanta Can)

Edited by Dynamo11

Hey all,

I was able to make a start on this today, I don't have much time for modelling at least until the end of the month although it seems the Gnat goes together pretty easy to avoid any major complications.

For those not acquainted with the quality of Airfix's 1/48 Gnat (aka it's fantastic) I direct you to Mike's review of it here.

I made some work on the cockpit (sans instrument panel which I'll leave until I can be bothered to get the airbrush out). The detail is top notch, lots of little levers and buttons all replicated which is begging for some drybrushing and washes (all in good time though, eh). I got the seats done as well, you may notice they are missing the cushions, I'm still in two minds about whether to do this in-flight or not so I imagine they'll remain that way:

http://s1302.photobucket.com/user/Dynamo93/media/RAAF%20Gnat/DSC_0231_zps4zeqy6ub.jpg.html'>DSC_0231_zps4zeqy6ub.jpg

I also started on the fuselage halves, again pretty intuitive of Airfix to make the construction in a way that lines up the panel lines on the exterior and these went on with no issues as did the undercarriage bays:

http://s1302.photobucket.com/user/Dynamo93/media/RAAF%20Gnat/DSC_0233_zpsa2ftgnr0.jpg.html'>DSC_0233_zpsa2ftgnr0.jpg

And finally a quick mock-up of it all together:

http://s1302.photobucket.com/user/Dynamo93/media/RAAF%20Gnat/DSC_0230_zpsfozu4crr.jpg.html'>DSC_0230_zpsfozu4crr.jpg

I think one of the reasons I like the Gnat so much must be because of its small size, as a jet it looks the business and has all the hallmarks of fighter jets of the late 60s/70s yet in a dinky little package. The 1/48 Gnat is just slightly larger than a 1/72 Italeri Me-410 I'm also working on (not to mention the many 1/72 Gnats I've done are dwarfed by the likes of the P-47 and Hurricane)

Anyhow this'll be the last major update for a while, I may add a few little bits and bobs here and there but nothing to warrant another post.

P.S

Sorry for the diabolical photographs, the lighting was all off but I had to get them done when I did. Photoshop did minimise most of the awfulness of them though

Edited by Dynamo11
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all,

Well I've been doing little bits to this over time as work got in the way but I was able to get Sunday/Monday off so I hit it today to get the cockpit all finished up.

First up there was something I had been meaning to try for a while now, but was unable to whilst practising in the "gentleman's true scale"/. 1/48 gives me a good opportunity to utilise a bit of pre-shading. I basecoated the entire cockpit in flat black, then I sprayed on Vallejo Model Air 46 "Pale Grey Blue" on a low PSI from only the top. The idea here is that the lower down 'shaded' areas will still stay black whereas the upper surfaces where the light hits it will have little of the black showing through.

In typical pre-shading fashion the effect is there but is very subtle, so subtle it's tricky to get in a photo. My best attempt is this:

DSC_0246_zpsfoshyx9s.jpg (Note how the sidewalls are darker than the headrests)

With this done it was time to pick out the details and get the cockpit panel sorted. Flory's Dark Wash was liberally applied (I really do need to pick up a Black and Light Wash soon) and then cleaned up leaving it in the recesses. Vallejo Model Air 64 "Light Grey" was dry brushed over all the areas to help bring out the raised detail. The aforementioned detail is absolutely fantastic, Airfix really have created a stunner of a kit here (they seem to do 1/48 quite well).

I also finally decided on whether it was going to be wheels down or in-flight and decided on the former. At least it means it motivates me to make a "sequel" in-flight at some point. Because of this the seat cushions with the belts were placed in. The seat colour is Humbrol 30 "Dark Green" and the belts are Vallejo Model Colour "Sand Yellow", this also got a covering of Flory's Dark Wash that was then cleaned up. Finally all the little red, yellow and black switches/knobs were picked out followed by the panel decal (which went on VERY nicely after a few coats of Micro-Sol, looks painted on). End result is this:

DSC_0248_zpsqrwixctd.jpg

DSC_0247-2_zps1arpzccp.jpg

And in place:

DSC_0249_zpsid5loden.jpg

Hopefully I can crack on with this now, from the build threads I've seen, like its little brother, the Gnat practically falls together after the cockpit is fully assembled. I really can't wait to get some Orange and White on the plane, I'm still toying with ideas on how exactly the scheme is going to be but that'll remain with me until the time comes (don't want to ruin the surprise)

• Like 3

Looks great - fab work on the pit - have read so many good things about this kit....am toying with a 1/48 Aggressor Big Brother now.... :mental:

However won't comment on the RAF Regt badge..... :evil_laugh:

Edited by Tim Moff

However won't comment on the RAF Regt badge..... :evil_laugh:

Gucci Boys strike again! My entire family are all Rock Apes. Funnily enough it all started when my Grandad asked to be a "Gunner"; as in a rear gunner on a Lancaster way back just after VE Day. Cheeky recruiter signed him up as a Gunner in the RAF Regiment and it's been like that ever since.

• Like 1

Gentlemen please, rest your sphincters

Inter-service banter aside I've been able to get the majority of construction done on the Gnat. Again no major fit issues, just the usual sand filler job on the underside of the wing join onto the fuselage. I did have an issue with the cockpit cowling(?), it wouldn't suit flush I assume because of a mistake I made when I glued the rear cockpit panel in. Either way it was not a major issue as I was able to get one side to sit flush but the other did have a gap that needed filling:

DSC_0250_zpsw5x8vfgs.jpg

DSC_0251_zps0xykndxg.jpg

Said cowling was painted and the cockpit glazing was installed:

DSC_0253_zps0nzygon4.jpg

After that it was a case of masking the cockpit (as an aside it's been a while since I've used the Eduard masks and in the interim I've been using the cheaper vinyl ones, which are still good. Say what you like about the price but the Eduard ones are just so easy to apply and they'll never lift off, highly recommended as always):

DSC_0254_zpsony1hgzs.jpg

Then it's on with the ubiquitous Halfords primer:

DSC_0255_zps1qwsa59f.jpg

So that's where I'm at, I'll leave the primer to harden and finish overnight then hopefully I'll get the first paint on by the middle of the week.

Edited by Dynamo11
  • Like 3

Looking great - funny, had same issues at 1/72....need a toothpick to apply the filler though. Gotta say the 1/72 Canopy is probably the clearest I have ever seen.

Looking forward to the paint.