Bf-109 E3 Airfix 1/48....Finished!

Hi Craig,

I may have missed it, I see you are using Revell paints, but acrylic or enamel? That yellow has gone on really well and the rest of the camo looks really sweet. Looking forward to more.

Hi Airgunner,

Sorry for not making it clear, I'm using the acrylic Revell Aquacolour. These are good paints to use but their colours are not really matched to any FS or RLM numbers directly as far as I can tell but their white and yellow etc do cover well.

Craig that yellow has covered beautifully.

Whenever I've tried to spray yellow over darks colours itscome out pants!

Karl

Thanks Karl,

Yes their yellow is probably the best I've used for covering other colours, as you say all the others I have tried to use have turned out pretty bad and needed lots of coats.

Thank you to all of you who have left nice comments, it's great that you are following, I am truly flattered. Now that the yellow has dried properly I am going to start weathering it back to reveal some of the camo, hopefully there should be some pictures tomorrow.

Thanks for watching.

Craig.

Time for a slightly overdue update.

I have very lightly sanded back the yellow to reveal some of the underlying camo scheme and I think it has turned out okay. At the same time I did this I also weathered the leading edges of the wings and tail planes and the wing roots which would show wear and tear from the feet of the ground crew and pilots. Anyway here are the pictures....

109g%20002_zpsym8xsnm3.jpg

109g%20003_zpsrv8s1p7z.jpg

109g%20004_zps4paorvnz.jpg

My next step will be to apply a coat or two of Klear prior to the decals, which will hopefully start tomorrow.

Thanks for looking and as usual all comments, criticisms and advice are welcome.

Craig.

• Like 7

Nice work Craig, I like the idea of sanding back rather than applying paint on top.

Thanks Ozzy.

I started to do this a couple of years ago, I feel it works best as it is the way that the real aircraft get weathered and if you take your time you can control the effect quite well.

Craig.

• Like 1

Craig, lovely effect with the worn paint on the cowling and wing tips.

People often forget how these machines were regularly repainted in the field, often with temporary finishes which weathered quickly.

Always makes for a much more interesting look to my eye.

Karl

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words guys, time for another update.

Since my last post I have given the 109 a gloss coat and applied the decals (never my favourite part). I have also then done some weathering which mostly involved highlighting the panel lines and applied some exhaust and gun smoke staining and given her a final coat of matt varnish and this is how she looks now....

109h%20001_zpscf78jzmt.jpg

To give you more idea of the weathering applied around the nose here is a closer picture....

109h%20002_zps3wfdgmkh.jpg

I have also painted the ares between the legs of the swastika in RLM 70 as the pictures I have seen clearly show this, here is a closer picture of the tail area showing this and some of the weathering and paint peeling....

109h%20003_zpsyu87ikvh.jpg

Thats it for today, I will now concentrate on the undercarriage and all the other smaller parts which seem to take a lifetime to complete compared to the main assembly of the kit, at least they do for me.

As usual thanks for looking and all your comments,criticisms and advice are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 5

Thanks for the very kind comments guys.

I am actually working on the final bits of the model (the aerial wire, which I hate doing) now, so hopefully I should get it finished this evening or tomorrow at the very latest. Like I said earlier for some reason these last bits always seem to take an age so bear with me!

Craig.

• Like 2

Well it's finally finished, despite life trying it's best to slow me down.

I have to say that I have really enjoyed building this kit and I think it's a great example of ease of build and level of detail, and at a good price. A super-detailer could really go to town on this kit and get excellent results (better than mine) and someone could just build it for fun and still have a good model at the end.

I would like to thank our hosts for starting and running the GB, you only have to look at the number of projects started to see how popular it is. i would also like to thank all of you who have been popping by and giving me encouragement, help and advice. Well here are some the pictures, I will post some more in the finished section.

109finito%20001_zpsxudajq4o.jpg

109finito%20002_zpsx9qnf9gc.jpg

109finito%20005_zpsspaj6ifb.jpg

109finito%20007_zpsweo2dosz.jpg

109finito%20008_zpsezpsjvzo.jpg

Apologies for the slightly incorrect base, it's the only one I could lay my hands on quickly which isn't a concrete hardstanding. I will definitely be getting some more of these kits, I already have schemes in mind for a few. Now I had best get started on my hurricane!

Thanks for looking and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

Edited by modelling minion
  • Like 6

What a superb model mate and getting better all the time too.

I'm going to have to up my game or start making 'shake and bake' kits :winkgrin: I think we need a table of our own at the Nationals as the rest of the Gang are lagging well behind.

Crack on with the next one!

Andy

• Like 1