Well, I'm going to make a start. The kids are going away for a week - it may be my only chance!

I'm adding the Top Studio Detail-Up and Chain sets, as well as the Tamiya Front Fork Set. I think I'll keep the Hobby Design set for another build.

I planning to use white for the main colour, more than that, I'm still undecided.

Cheers,

Andrew

I've made a start on the engine/air box/exhaust assembly. While the glue on those parts is setting, I thought I'd have a look at the chain set:

20014099098_85ec6185ec_b.jpg

Top Studio Chain Set - Chain & Sprocket Parts by Caution Wake Turbulence, on Flickr

There are, apparently, 150 rollers and 336 link plate thingamybobs (a few spare I think). Fortunately it comes with a (hopefully) useful PE jig to aid assembly:

20202126265_f5d4ff4218_b.jpg

Top Studio Chain Set - Jig Assembly by Caution Wake Turbulence, on Flickr

I think it should keep me occupied for a while!

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 1

Do we each start our own threads for this Buddy Build? Not been involved in a group build before and I don't want to jump in in the wrong place.

Thanks

Mark

I don't see why not. Go for it!

I've made a start on assembling and priming some parts:

20043861549_18619e8cc4_b.jpg

Christening the revamped spray booth by Caution Wake Turbulence, on Flickr

Going to try and start getting some paint on the engine block once this is dry.

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 2

I've tried some Alclad colours on the engine: Pale Burnt Metal and Semi-Matt Aluminium. The Pale Burnt Metal seems like a fairly good match for the golden parts, but I think I might try a different tone for the main engine block...:

20236115605_a2474686f4_b.jpg

Engine Components by Caution Wake Turbulence, on Flickr

More tomorrow.

Andrew

• Like 1

I've resprayed the engine block plain old vanilla Alclad Aluminium and I think it looks better:

20248358962_3845bcb98b_b.jpg

Assembled Engine Block by Caution Wake Turbulence, on Flickr

20262535461_67428c8af7_b.jpg

Engine Block by Caution Wake Turbulence, on Flickr

Still a bunch of PE details to add.

I've also been experimenting with heat-shrinking tubing for the radiator pipes:

20068788778_9382c7eb3f_b.jpg

Radiator Pipe by Caution Wake Turbulence, on Flickr

It's a little tricky round the bends and there's the odd wrinkle, but I think it'll work. I also have some PE hose clamps to try and wrestle on...

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 1

When i did the Brass strips on the deck of an IJN cruiser last year, I used Vallejo matt varnish & held the strip in place with the weight of my tweesers. When they were dry, i brush painted over ant glue marks, & they were gone!

Might work here?

Lovin' the shrink tubing!!

Good stuff Andrew! A tip for the corner kinks in the heat shrink tubing! Try painting a tiny amount of WD40 onto the part first...firstly, it makes it easier to slide into place and secondly, it stops it grabbing on bends! It really works.

• Like 1

I've made a start on adding some of the PE bolts to the engine:

20101402699_b540ecba97_b.jpg

Adding PE bolts by Caution Wake Turbulence, on Flickr

Not sure how I managed to get such a pebble-dashed finish with the Alclad...

Plenty more to go - might do something different for a bit, my eyes are starting to hurt! :hypnotised:

I'll give the WD40 thing a go, but I think the problem may be more that the tubing is a little rigid.

Andrew

• Like 2

A quick update for the end of the day:

20109407019_c7c5640330_b.jpg

Progress by Caution Wake Turbulence, on Flickr

Things are coming together. I've painted the exhaust in Mr Metal Colour Dark Iron (a little on the dark side perhaps, but it buffs up nicely). The ends of the mufflers still need to be buffed. Making good progress on the engine PE (the instructions are rather incomplete). In the end, I used some Microscale Bare Metal Foil Adhesive and a fine brush to fix the radiator grills - just painting a fine bead around the edge appears to have done the trick and it seems to dry near enough invisible.

Thanks for looking in!

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 3

Done a few more bits today. The exhausts are finished:

20313339582_931bf7d3e6_b.jpg

Exhausts by Caution Wake Turbulence, on Flickr

Primed with Tamiya grey primer, followed by a coat of semi-gloss black and then Alclad polished aluminium. The ends then sprayed with Mr Metal Colour Dark Iron and buffed to a shine (apart from the area around the outlet).

The air box, finished in semi-gloss black and Alclad pale burnt metal, plus a few PE details. Decal(s) to be added. I'm hoping a glued to spike at the front in the right position, it had a fair amount of play...

20133742108_15f6554a98_b.jpg

Air Box by Caution Wake Turbulence, on Flickr

and finally, the radiator. More or less finished - a little excess glue on the hose clamps that needs cleaning off...

20135146219_0f11d1f824_b.jpg

Radiator by Caution Wake Turbulence, on Flickr

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 3

Lookin' good Andrew. Is the airbox a metal casting in reality. All the pics I have looked at it looks SG balck?

Colin

Yeah its metal as its a stressed part of the chassis but has a black finish pretty much like a semi gloss black in my opinion

Ducati based the Panigale chassis concept on the GP Desmo that was built for Stoner and later Rossi which was Carbon Fibre. There was huge resistance from Ducati to abandon the stressed member chassis concept of the GP bike as they had invested so much R&D into the road bike and wanted the GP lineage. Results and Rossi forced the GP bike to return to an alloy traditional chassis, but the Panigale is stuck with the metal box.

Looking good so far.

Well, it's starting to take shape...

20317266086_4aa3be491b_b.jpg

Initial Assembly by Caution Wake Turbulence, on Flickr

20156889839_a55e2b37ac_b.jpg

Initial Assembly by Caution Wake Turbulence, on Flickr

I still need to fit a couple of radiator pipes and add a decal or two, but I'm quite pleased I managed to get this far without breaking anything (much...).

The swing arm is only dry-fitted - I really need to make a start on the chain. Wish me luck!

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 1

Have you used Alclad for the exhaust headers? It looks a bit of a 'Hammerite' finish to me? Only asking as I planned on using Alclad too but I may steer away from it. Re the chain, rather you than me, but I'm sure all the hard work will be worth it.

Oops, I should have looked at your previous posts re the paint used on the exhaust headers. Apologies.

Edited by mbdesignart