RN Lynx Colour Scheme 1984/5

Sgeek

Good Morning all,

I have recently impulse purchased a 1/72 Lynx HAS2 of the type flown by the Flt attached to HMS Nottingham in 84/85. She was 815 Flt 417 (XZ241). As a baby fish-head I do seem to distinctly remember it leaving in the overall Blue scheme, then returning the next time we went to sea in the rather boring grey colour that became the norm.

I also seem to remember she was either named 'Robin Hood' or 'Maid Marion'.

Having scoured my photo collection, including the box of photos considered not good enough for the album, I cannot find one of the Lynx close enough to make out the colour scheme. My Google-Fu is also weak in this area and cannot turn anything up on-line that would indicate what colours she may have been wearing in that period.

I suspect I may not be dreaming as this was the post Falklands period where the lessons learned were being implemented and the low vis paint scheme was one of them as I recall.

I therefore ask if any of the learned members of the forum( or even the ex-WAFU's ;) ) may be able to offer some sage advice?

My intention is to slowly build up a collection of cabs that were examples of embarked Flt on the various war canoes I was drafted to. They will go with the rather smaller scale kits of the ships themselves. Nottingham onwards they are easy just slap the grey on. I would like to have at least one in the pretty colours :-)

All the best

Steve

Is that the same color used on Danish aircraft?

From airliners.net (this is how I want to do an Airfix Lynx):

Edited by Shar2
Only links to airliners.net and if I were you I wouldn't advertise that you'd downloaded copyrighted material
  • Like 1

They went from Oxford Blue to DSG immediately after the Falklands (or at least at the next routine respray, which might account for Nottm's being blue when you joined in 84). They then changed again to the much paler grey in c.1990 (I suspect because the Focus by then was on the Gulf. My first cab on Broadsword Flight in 89 (XZ722 - HAS3) was DSG, and we then changed in 1990 to an HAS3S which was the pale grey colour you see everywhere now.

HTH

• Like 1

Gents, many thanks for the input.

Ex-FAAWAFU, I suspect that it may well be the case. Have spoken to one of my old shipmates who has confirmed the Blue (he was a EW rate so has been hibernating). Apparently on for flight trials for SOST after commissioning. She came back grey when we went to BOST a few months later. Just need him to find the photo he thinks he took of the cab ranged when he was lifebuoy Spook.

Is that the same color used on Danish aircraft?

From airliners.net (this is how I want to do an Airfix Lynx):

Yes, it's the same colour. The standard colours for our (Danish) Lynx helicopters are Oxford Blue.

Jens

Hi Jens,

Which FS number and Gunze colour are the Oxford blue ?

Gunze H328 FS15050 Blue Angels blue good enough for this colour ? HobbyBoss recommended this colour for Danish Lynx Mk.90.

Thank You !

The colour is actually a British standard colour to BS 381c hue 105. You need to find matches to that standard.

Selwyn

I'm not aware of any good matches in acrylic for Oxford Blue. Both Vallejo and Humbrol do a colour called this but neither is quite right. You may need to resort to enamels as there is an Xtracolour match.

Pat