+++ FINISHED! +++ Airfix Tiger Moth 1/72 (RAF Flight Training School, 1940)

jrlx

You're being too kind, as always, Ced :) I really didn't do much yet. My plan is to put my current GB builds all ready for priming and interior painting.

Psychologically is a bit unnerving doing four builds in parallel this way (3 entries for the BoB GB plus this one), because nothing seems to be progressing fast.

I'm also running out of space because I still have three unfinished British Phantoms and a Fokker triplane in the early building phases...

I look forward to seeing your Moth soon :)

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

I'll be interested to see the PE bits Jaime, I wasn't aware of them at all. I hear what you say about doing several builds at once, but I find it quite refreshing to be able to swap from one build to another especially if I get stuck. Like what you're doing and your future plans!

Max

• Like 1

Thanks, Max! The PE set for the Tiger Moth is from Eduard and includes only one fret. Most of the parts go in the cockpit but there are some for detailing the engine, landing gear and other surface detail. I'll have to paint over the pre-painted green interior parts because they used an interior green quite different from the one I use for RAF airfcraft (Gunze's Mr Hobby H312 Green).

Cheers

Jaime

There are some nasty looking ejector pin marks in that cockpit Jaime, will the PE hide those or will you have to fill/sand them?

Max

Yes, Max, I'm afraid I'll have to fill some of those. They aren't completely covered by the plastic/PE parts.

Will watch with interest, looking forward to seeing the PE that is available for this kit, keep up the good work.

All the best

Chris​

Thanks, Chris! Your interest is much appreciated!

Cheers,

Jaime

Hi again,

Just a small update with last night's work.

I filed and smoothed the edges of the cockpits, after cutting off the access doors on the previous night.

Then, I inspected the PE fret, to evaluate how to apply the PE parts that go in the cockpit inner walls. Here's the PE fret, the said parts are near the top right corner, being the structures already painted green:

y4m_rM3flvtS3trBzhXpH9jZZDy-qZQy_vC1reTr

IMAG2661

These structures do not align properly with the raised detail on the cockpit walls. So, I removed all the raised detail, using a curved x-acto blade, followed by sanding paper. Here's the result:

y4mRq5CUY6Vq2EQJyOQvZkgnLo08a3mAxwOMiLrg

IMAG2662

Right below the cockpits' edges there are pairs of circular depressions. These should be opened up with a mini-drill and serve as locator holes for the kit's parts that represent the open access doors to the cockpits. Since I'll be using PE parts in place of the kit's parts for the open doors, I'll have to fill in these depressions with putty, before painting the cockpit interior. There's also an ejector mark near the bottom of the fuselage halves that I'll fill in, though it will be almost impossible to see once the cockpit's base and seats are in place.

Thanks for looking

Jaime

• Like 3

I like the PE set, it looks very comprehensive. The doors will look so much better in PE, slightly curved but not much, since in reality they are very thin indeed. This should be very interesting!!!!, good luck. :)

Max

• Like 1

Hi,

Here's last night work. Doesn't seem much but took me more than 1h30.

I started applying the PE parts to the cockpit.

First, a small rectangular part that goes above each seat. The seat belts will be linked to this rectangle. The back seat also has a small lever applied to its side:

y4mldPh2YDaU4kn1mIOND8mGp9NlEPP9NTPUW2u_

IMAG2663

Then I bent the PE part that goes on the front of the cockpit base:

y4ms3Q7viXu97GvbZLM5TNc8ZT7bGqx2Y5XXXG81

IMAG2664

This was glued in place:

y4m8aTOhU7dJ2aCyhotIYbFuteFvLQMz3dB_khui

IMAG2665

Next, I applied the pilots' pedals, which had to be bent first:

y4mdEvPpru5vmJg-XbfppHzy3hAxFCx_-26emryy

IMAG2666

Here's a detail picture of the pedals:

y4meIsBXbbKkGXfPXSYYEY9rO-DiiUhRUCqrhiH4

IMAG2667

That's all for now. I still have to take care of the PE cockpit access doors before I can start painting.

Thanks for looking

Jaime

• Like 4

Chris, Ced, thanks a lot for your supportive words, much appreciated :)

Due to a family dinner, I didn't manage to find any modelling time last night. Hopefully, I'll get back to the bench tonight and during the week-end.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Hi again,

Here's the update with work done over the weekend. I worked in parallel on the Tiger Moth and the Dornier. About 5 hours of total work.

I started by applying putty to the remains of ejection marks on the inner cockpit walls:

y4muAHKIhrU-JUEQEbSK9OqVqMUi90cEuaTK1dFh

IMAG2668

This was left to dry for a day and then sanded with wet & dry 400 grit sanding paper:

y4mNnlvtW99X6cvWobus4xi_nfmZR5KxDCExrDwm

IMAG2673

After this, I worked on the cockpit access doors. The kit's parts are replaced by PE parts, which had to be bent. Here they are, glued to toothpicks, ready for priming and painting:

y4mKIrItJhkG8IK1Iv0wkQ5bgcmU_0TdjPoCv4Ae

IMAG2675

Finally, I took the instrument panel consoles and the wheels off the sprues and cleaned them of moulding marks:

y4mKFsI0iQAJGb3eCFO8c62T9X-PU9YNTTnd4mI7

IMAG2676

Almost ready for starting painting. I still have to mask off the PE fret as I'll paint some of the parts interior green.

As you can see, the progress is very slow. Working with the PE parts takes a lot of time, as I have to work under a magnifying glass and bending them properly is very fiddly. But I think it's worth the effort, as it enhances the level of detail a lot.

Thanks for looking.

Jaime

• Like 7

I get the feeling that this is going to be one magnificent Tiger Moth Jaime with all the effort and attention to detail that you're putting into it. Looking forward to seeing more when you've time!

Max

• Like 1