+++ FINISHED! +++ Airfix Tiger Moth 1/72 (RAF Flight Training School, 1940)

jrlx

@Courageous, @John D.C. Masters, @CedB, @rob85

Thank you very much for your appreciation!

@John D.C. Masters your approach to rigging is quite impressive! Mine is a bit simpler, as I don't like to drill holes through the wings. Hence, my use of Uschi's EZline.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Hi again,

This post will bring the thread up to date with the work done until now.

This last week I applied the decals. First, a good Aqua Gloss coat was applied to all parts, in preparation for the decal work, and was left to dry for one full day.

The following picture shows the set-up used for decal application:

y4mTcVnCS0t6guxjWEFGquK7Ep-rVQHd9V-cD9fx

IMAG6274

The decals worked beautifully, as they are printed by Cartograf. The following series of pictures show the final results:

y4mjeEJqZ99OHr63WAKz5j9UIki2aToLl6bUoHm5

IMAG6275

y4m220IIFH63zxvanVEDYGXToXIfVavnSCLLh3hW

IMAG6277

y4moXD1rVxHzlCU1ikvar--DeIdmZ844BKducfBs

IMAG6279

y4mp6GCUfRwMbgXdlHuGEWX29s6foSZLqpMpP06P

IMAG6278

y4mLyxQMUiYTmJOqEsFFYaQCkAl0YqG2nuPPyBp1

IMAG6280

y4mGAmjjuIjeM8CrkbM0mgzrK4QCcLNXl_eregsV

IMAG6281

Another Aqua Gloss coat was applied to seal the decals, in preparation for weathering.

Hopefully, this coming week I'll be able to progress further.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, CedB said:

That's looking very special Jaime. Good job :) 

Thank you very much, Ced! Kind as always!

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

...stunning. The size of some of those etch parts is ridiculous. I have ‘blobs’ of glue that are much bigger, in fact I see no glue ‘traces’ at all, how do you apply it ? Worth pointing out again that your photos are about 5 times actual size!  I used EZ line to rig mine, but really as John pointed out, you wrestle with the ‘elasticity’ all the time and in this scale you really need two pairs of hands, one to apply the accelerator just where its needed...

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, FalkeEins said:

...stunning. The size of some of those etch parts is ridiculous. I have ‘blobs’ of glue that are much bigger, in fact I see no glue ‘traces’ at all, how do you apply it ? Worth pointing out again that your photos are about 5 times actual size!  I used EZ line to rig mine, but really as John pointed out, you wrestle with the ‘elasticity’ all the time and in this scale you really need two pairs of hands, one to apply the accelerator just where its needed...

Thank you very much for the very kind words, Falke!

I apply CA with the tip of a toothpick. Regarding EZline, it's true the elasticity can be tricky to deal with and an additional pair of hands would be helpful :) Anyway, I prefer to apply the rigging using EZline at the end of the build. I think it makes it easier to paint and assemble the top and bottom wings.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Hi again,

Some more progress, work done during the week.

I decided to weather the aircraft very simply, just applying a dark brown "greased earth" wash by Vallejo. Here's the set-up:

y4mWpcuR8CwsKlEoM8VBhCeLojfpdOVnyUxRKWs9

IMAG6282

The wash was applied overall

y4mDY0EtKvg5EMGnSRqhy_Gq276Z8_6BJLTC1zWk

IMAG6283

... and left to dry for just a few minutes, before being almost completely cleaned with water-soaked cotton-buds. The idea was not to overdo the weathering. The model was left to dry overnight and, then, an Alclad Flat coat was applied and left to dry, also, for 24 hours. The results are shown below:

y4mmPQeYctY3LEyO_2zpr6l_fawhJDyIQYiOc7kT

IMAG6291

y4mon-nb71aNoaHWx6k36w-a-uysgnWyO6HMdIDL

IMAG6292

y4mBv3wBFGwQJbtIz92cOAJ-ltZtDr3-ARS04Z5_

IMAG6293

y4m4VcCs3Q27Le4y9SAGGCFw-17kUad_8TwpQB3m

IMAG6294

y4mEpdkZSE_KTwefJMl1GWl7RN5A0cOL_SfQrX_-

IMAG6295

y4mRZfEWJBHW2wosTBdYtq-rU25ayPE1uo7gZQgb

IMAG6297

y4mSUoJm6Y80IqpYb0xJV2OoH-JrRE6_o1LCSP-c

IMAG6298

Thanks for looking.

Jaime

• Like 5

4 hours ago, CedB said:

Nice subtle weathering Jaime. She's looking very smart :) 

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

Love the tones and colours in that Jaime. Beautifully modulated!

Ced, Tony, thank you very much! Your incentive is much appreciated :)

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 2

Some more progress.

I unmasked the cockpit and the front bulkhead. As can be seen, some repair work on the painting of the cockpit is needed:

y4mEmGs1kG8c-gwU0xYURCSbHFqeNVmqJ7G1X8UO

IMAG6299

y4mxPeTZp-LCIz2NmY3O7u_sP3QO8B0Nm2Nmj_c5

IMAG6300

The accumulations of paint along the cockpit edges were carefully removed with a nº 10 blade. The repairs were done by paintbrush, applying thin layers of paint:

y4m0XUJv_DIhFkREvHtwiMFzMZabaUG-ylBc9-vy

IMAG6308

y4mip172KC0tbM5x5-6By7CuM-4X9FsLL7X5kdZS

IMAG6309

Time to work on the nose. There's a PE grid to insert through the small opening on the front:

y4m4mkyfpx0lEHFkxAfsAh4Lr1Oa5dlnHLo6TSwD

IMAG6301

Unfortunately, it doesn't fit because the front tab of the grid is too wide for the opening. I had to cut a bit on the lower part of the tab.

y4mS4CcWq_XIzr-q_p1v-PtkM5eBdu3_r4VYBpYG

IMAG6302

Next to install is the exhaust:

y4mXTKBLx7dFXsMNr90v-28_sT8A75Te-M4dTTdJ

IMAG6303

The PE grid interferes with the installation of the exhaust and had to be bent:

y4mYA8wm-g7huw3Qfp-RSUU1qyF1LKDYY9JJ764W

IMAG6304

y4ms4uRVs0BfV5d6g1q16OKJ6QzboKn0TH6JB4-N

IMAG6305

Next, I had to install the propeller. I'm not usually a fan of rotating propellers in models but this time I decided to give it a go, instead of simply glueing the propeller to the front of the nose. In order to properly fit the propeller to the screw I had to deepen the hole on the back of the propeller with a 0.9 mm drill:

y4mUIhVKwuRs6xQGa2oBn83B5bsOg1hYPiODkKwc

IMAG6306

Finally:

y4mQNn7CjGp6qYRfP7u3hPhokq-MQWUAGdHrEcAA

IMAG6307

The completed nose was glued to the fuselage. Fit was not perfect and I had to slowly apply TET and push the nose against the fuselage until the gaps at the top were closed. However, the aluminium painted plastic of the interior oozed out:

y4mzXMAH-8TrazhKplIIWVMUmnQNPk4eA7U2L7Xr

IMAG6310

While this settled, I glued the rudder in place, deflected to the left, since this is the normal position when the aircraft is on the ground, according to my references and many pictures that can be found on the web:

y4m9JijJnudub4nAuFvSt2X9m35mC8hqcCQbkff0

IMAG6311

y4mn-AkunBonHnZ1SiDpNnQAbB-aH9QvBFJt5w_I

IMAG6312

There are two wind-shields to install. I took care of them previously, starting by cutting them out of the sprue:

y4mhFlkGLRgLwL4N1TWVMlLPU8McTsOynEyto745

IMAG6289

As they're very small and sit on top of the fuselage, in front of the cockpits, they don't need to have their transparency improved by Aqua Gloss. So, I just painted the rims silver by paintbrush:

y4mNzNL14jIZNr2kHBdbuHIFFPKVhWGEZS1XO8w5

IMAG6290

After drying for a few days:

y4mymSu3t3EFC_ZcKzbq-6RL2kujwP5N4gx9Ody5

IMAG6315

Finally, wind-shields glued in place. The front one fit perfectly but the aft one didn't, because, earlier, the section of the fuselage between cockpits didn't close perfectly and I had to fill the gap with plasticard. Therefore, this section became a bit wider. In the picture, it can be seen that the silver oozing around the nose-fuselage join had already been touched up with Dark Earth:

y4mPYp64cl2JlmrXsVKBDxgzyjcW4VwHHE6Pax5x

IMAG6316

More progress later.

Thanks for looking.

Jaime

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, CedB said:

Jaime you have the patience of a Saint! More marvellous work and I'm loving the detail, as usual :) 

Thanks a lot Ced! Not really a saint but I get the idea :)

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

It's looking splendid. I love that kit - built three so far and somehow I still have another one in the stash...

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian! I have another one in the stash, to build a civilian aircraft with red fuselage and silver wings and tail.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Thank you very much, Terry! The kit is nice but seems to have no tolerances to any alignment errors whatsoever. It seems that adding the interior PE caused some fuselage fit problems which, later, originated difficulties installing the aft wind-screen and the top wing and inter-wing struts (yes, I did it yesterday but I'm a bit behind updating the WIP)

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

This looks excellent Jamie, really lovely work and details! Having built this kit I don’t know how your doing it, it’s tiny and as you have said the tolerances are ridiculously tight!

Rob 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Rob, that's very kind!

Thinking again, the main cause of problems for closing the fuselage was the misalignment of the front seat.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Hi again,

Some more updating.

There's a PE bit representing the fuel line from the tank on the top wing to the engine. Here's the Tiger Moth Eduard PE set instruction sheet, the top wing and said part (nº 29) next to its representation on the sheet:

y4moIizk6JgbOJRFgtdLLXpkkFQREk2PhzPgal8F

IMAG6313

Initially, I glued the PE part as shown in the instructions, on the inner side of the struts:

y4mWOkxTgS2oj-ZMdiTL_i_7lRGvACuy882YDIqB

IMAG6314

However, I found out later, looking at reference pictures, that the fuel line was fastened to the outer side of the struts. So, I repositioned the PE part:

y4mPOckCpcAuqz8TnXh_OY17vGMb99i2pXtO3D0F

IMAG6317

It was now time to install the actuators for the rudder control cables. These actuators were done using some spare control horns from the Tiger Moth Eduard PE set (the same PE parts as used for the rudder):

y4m6okAklV9352RTM8ckC7hqZxsF6ZqQIc5Ti8Fk

IMAG6318

The actuators were installed on the fuselage sides, in previously drilled 0.3 mm holes:

y4mgm749EFky9NucfHEUIw_LmmSJoZSUzNd7ouwd

IMAG6319

The actuators were positioned according to the left deflection of the rudder:

y4mm2SVo1iTDN9jUKg5QWBKrySatxoup1z4JLmcN

IMAG6320

Before I could install the control cables between the actuators and the rudder, I had to install the control cables for the tail plane control surfaces.

Here's the first cable, made from EZ line. One end was glued with CA to the corresponding hole on the side of the fuselage:

y4mJRjzm0eMn4jWtfT4aWJO56M4Dls-3aNf0fQ6C

IMAG6322

The CA dried in seconds and the thread was stretched and glued on the other end to the actuator on top of the control surface. The excess was cut off with a nº 11 blade. The line for the lower control cable was installed using the same procedure:

y4mDtjWLUh0RTRQBiwifLBk7ou6HXroctoWjEFx-

IMAG6323

The following pictures show the final result:

y4mzJAw7X_QGHvAPH5NSbUpEUsAOkkhWDN7PJC4Y

IMAG6324

y4mGrFwrVxyVvTFgOstMWAGmINte6Cndr8CxYY1h

IMAG6325

y4mPS3rDCKRWyB0gD0C95HsBl2EX9vgtg9Ks8o8N

IMAG6326

y4miAGc3wdlIDSD9nuLRxTfhHrKbz7elrYHw2Mwb

IMAG6327

Now I could install the rudder control cables. There's a double cable on each side. So, I cut a piece of EZ line with about double the length between the actuators and rudder:

y4mTdpnwaRfHhq-8A6qaK4rOt3RnrTgjoCMzy9cn

IMAG6328

The middle section of the line was glued with CA to the actuator:

y4m2Epm3VXLftdhd4A_ZWw9wZoNIBG2loadCSZGO

IMAG6329

The thread was stretched and glued to the rudder control horn. The excess was cut off with a nº 11 blade:

y4mlFy-JWLoBXlOcQ9gZIgeo0Qfp8d4PM2RZDjeg

IMAG6330

The same procedure was repeated for the port side. To finish with, I still had to install the stretchers for the cables on the actuator side. These were made using parts nº 9 of the stretchers and control horns set from Eduard. The parts had been previously painted steel:

y4mpLGWzJJxeGvOVcIwZ3xhvTP3t_Z7jdXdWRSuy

IMAG6321

Here's one on the wing, near the actuator, ready to be installed:

y4mMOGCuqspRJ05hwvMbShN_wlAXJ6kFdGvFQa9w

IMAG6331

They were simply glued to the EZ line using CA:

y4m3CELFfBZ7-VXWzzHoidyF8hTyCoEt1iiOJwGY

IMAG6333

The final control cables to install were the aileron control cables, which are under the fuselage, between the wings. Again, EZ line was used, stretched between the wings, where 0.3 mm holes had been previously drilled:

y4mmj70gdbcHJx2pSxDl8nYjLOCUUcdLtRiC3IZk

IMAG6334

The same stretchers were also installed here, by simply glueing the PE parts to the lines:

y4mL_FXHCvrK8aFSOeemSjQrT5SrqUfX4rE45_CZ

IMAG6337

Next, I glued the cockpit access doors in place, which are PE parts from the T.Moth Eduard set:

y4mBaW69eR6aNEHrOAwA5eD3hoR3gUIIjs7XOlR9

IMAG6338

y4mig5y71NMsHHiyoMj7ruH_ZUEWlNs7VlhAE50D

IMAG6339

Thanks for looking

Jaime

• Like 9

..crazy skill, detail and photos...wow! Etch control horns ? madness..!

I've just finished mine...purely to give a better idea of the actual size of the model....no close-ups

spacer.png

• Like 3