+++ FINISHED! +++ Airfix Tiger Moth 1/72 (RAF Flight Training School, 1940)

jrlx

This was my entry to the Tiger Moth GB back in the summer of 2015. I didn't manage to finish it in the time frame of the GB and it has been untouched since.  I'll try to finish it now.  Thanks for looking. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

As if I didn't have enough ongoing builds, I decided to participate in this GB. I will be building Airfix's 1/72 Tiger Moth in RAF Flight Training School colours, 1940.

Here are the kit, sprues and decals:

y4m_D7VDwvPGYV42bhrNsiIUPuT9XLwPzuAq17wj

IMAG2533

Here's the camouflage scheme:

y4mv2gpRxb-6X_kKPQWTYG9wP5fB4fx6Cz5voCnH

IMAG2535

The kit is nicely detailed out of the box but I will add Eduard's PE fret to the build. I have this on order with my LHS and it should arrive in mid-August. Until then I won't be doing much on the kit, if at all.

The aircraft will be rigged, of course. It will be done with elastic fishing line glued with CA.

That's all for now. Thanks for looking.

Jaime

Edited by jrlx
Moved from the "Tiger Moth GB (2015)"
  • Like 7

A cautionary note about using elastic rigging is that over time it will perish and break!! I found out the hard way, and some of my older models which were done like this are looking very sorry for themselves now with sagging and broken rigging.

Matt.

• Like 1

Welcome Jaime. I think time issues are a common problem, but there's plenty of it to use! I look forward to seeing your build when it starts.

Regards

Max

Hi Max, thanks. I'm very eager to start this little kit. It seems really nice in the box!

Nice one Jaime, I'll look forward to seeing your progress...

Cheers,

Stew

Hi Stew, thanks for your interest.I'm glad you're on board!

A cautionary note about using elastic rigging is that over time it will perish and break!! I found out the hard way, and some of my older models which were done like this are looking very sorry for themselves now with sagging and broken rigging.

Matt.

Thanks for the warning Matt. Have you found an alternative to elastic rigging? Is there something that can be done to make it more durable?

Cheers

Jaime

The best way to ensure elastic thread survives longer is to stop the model from getting dusty as dust appears to perish the thread over time. Also, when rigging the biplane don`t pull the rigging too tight as this adds lots of tension and snaps quite quickly, I pull the thread just tight enough for the thread to be straight and it seems to last longer.

Good luck,

Tony

• Like 2

Thanks Tony. I store my finished models in a display cupboard custom made for the purpose, so they shouldn't get dusty. I will take more care with the amount of tension I apply to the threads.

Cheers

Jaime

• 2 weeks later...

A bit late to this one Jaime but I'll follow your progress (and Jon's) with interest before deciding whether to join the GB... although I'm sure you'll set the bar high! :)

• Like 1

Hi Ced,

Thanks for joining the thread, much appreciated :)

I'm on holidays for another week, so I'll only be able to start this build in early September. Fortunately, the PE is already waiting for me in my LHS.

The kit seems to be simple (for a biplane) but I'm sure I'll be successful in complicating it as much as I can... :)

In the meantime, I'll be planning the build.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

No pressure Jaime but it would be nice to see Ced onboard instead of on the fence so show him the way gently! I've seen his Brigand (like me he probably saw them in his childhood flying around Colerne) so he can tackle a little Moth easily. :)

Max

• Like 2

Yes, Ced please join us in the GB. As said before, there's nothing to be afraid of, not even a final vote :)

The aircraft is lovely and the Airfix kits are cheap, well detailed OOB and seems easy to build. So, why wait?

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 3

You guys :)

How can I resist such a polite invitation from such a nice group of people? Airfix Tiger Moth ordered from Hannants... why are there two variants? Anyway, I've ordered the camouflage one. Oh, and a Mile Magister because they're cute.

I do need to finish at least my Spitfire and 109 for the BoB GB first though. And Tommy of course :)

• Like 3

You guys :)

How can I resist such a polite invitation from such a nice group of people? Airfix Tiger Moth ordered from Hannants... why are there two variants? Anyway, I've ordered the camouflage one. Oh, and a Mile Magister because they're cute.

I do need to finish at least my Spitfire and 109 for the BoB GB first though. And Tommy of course :)

Great to have you in the GB, Ced! Great decision :)

The version with the red fuselage and silver wings is a 2013 aircraft coded G-ACDC, from The Tiger Club, Headcorn Aerodrome, Ashford, Kent.

There's also a starter set with a trainer-yellow version, coded L6923, from the Hatfield Reserve flying school, 1938.

Regarding on-going builds, I'm worst off than you... I still have my three British Phantoms to finish, started my three entries to the BoB GB (Bf 109E4, Defiant and Do 17z), still have to start my Tiger Moth and am planning two entries to the Vietnam GB. This should keep me busy till the year's end :wacko::frantic:

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Hello,Jaime - Good luck with the Tiger Moth build.I know she'll be a beauty when she's finished.All the very best,Paul.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the very kind support. I hope I won't disappoint your high expectations :blush:

Why don't you join us as well? Your excellent modelling skills would surely produce a stunning Moth.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Thanks for the warning Matt. Have you found an alternative to elastic rigging? Is there something that can be done to make it more durable?

Cheers

Jaime

Hi Jamie,

Sorry for the slow response, I have been busy with summer hobbies and not been on the computer much. Anyway I have just caught up with this and can sugest the following:

1. Stretched sprue is good and its free. The only thing is its thickness is not consistent so I tend to use it for one off jobs like radio aerials etc. Nice thing with it is that you can put it on a little loose and tension it by quickly aplying a little heat (literaly a flash with a cigarette lighter) but I would surgest practicing first.
  2. I have seen some briliant results with Invisible Mending Thread. You can buy this in sewing shops or places like Hobbycraft. The nice thing with this is it is very thin and it comes in a smoke colour which I think looks very convincing.

Also found this usefull article: http://static1.1.sqspcdn.com/static/f/608037/22738988/1369163748943/Biplane+rigging+techniques.pdf?token=nfnPeJcbaUtaJgEqFr93HdXXqaw%3D

Matt.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi again,

I finally started building my Tiger Moth. I did just a bit of work, though it took quite some time.

I started by taking the seats and cockpit base off the sprues. These were cleaned of subtle flash:

y4m7_3xKD9mIaeS1W9FzonSHWngizxlXSht1X7N9

IMAG2655

The cockpit base's front was cut away, since it will be replaced by PE parts.

Then I took the fuselage halves off the sprue. The inner detail is quite good but it will be replaced by PE as well:

y4m6Yy0DCdLemlexOagcp3a_BwnKO0ueYMUDZnag

IMAG2657

A quick test fit showed no fit problems:

y4m7T28UeFwrEGOktCTVcCa_o_WXn0hcI7zrV5xW

IMAG2656

I will be displaying the cockpit access doors in the open position and the kit's door parts will be replaced by PE. So, I cut out the doors from the fuselage halves using an nº 11 x-acto blade. This was a quite lengthy process, to avoid damaging the plastic, which is very soft:

y4mJQUf_cs-VYuqwaH_wVjAOCL1_Wq5GCF3AJ9Rn

IMAG2658

y4my5W13oerZ6ZycQwAPJUSj1-L2tB4tjga24VTY

IMAG2660

I still have to properly clean the cut edges.

That's all for now. Thanks for looking.

Jaime

• Like 4