+++ FINISHED! +++ Airfix Tiger Moth 1/72 (RAF Flight Training School, 1940)

jrlx

Chris, Rob, Ian,

Thank you very much for your kind words regarding the build and the best wishes for my future exam :) Really much appreciated.

The fit tolerances around the cockpit and also for the bottom wing are really tight. As  I said, I had to sand and file a lot to manage to close the fuselage and glue the wing in place. It seems that even the thin layers of primer and paint contributed to the fit problems.

The next steps will be taking care of the seams and applying some external PE bits.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi again,

I finally got time to post the latest work done on this build, though it was done mid-March and I haven't done any more work since.

So, first I finished preparing the small parts for painting. One of the inter-wing struts had a pitot tube, which is poorly represented in plastic and must be replaced by a PE part (No.20 in the PE fret):

y4mYCzZTdR95uXzCqW8bh1wPQgoQtiY7qMy0JwLj

IMAG6164

The PE part bent to shape:

y4m_3E9i5UlGvtX5BOlyO_RaCzQtE1MfhSQOfyd9

IMAG6165

The plastic stub was cut off and the PE part glued in place:

y4md3SvJjF5m-ZHsZBptT0ijkOC6pLpH1rlZTN0C

IMAG6166

Finally, here are all struts and small parts ready for painting:

y4mTTLCpjAz6yHDqrxy18Z1Q1stDsuajdUmgTUAv

IMAG6167

Next, I noticed that the cockpit interior would be visible through the underside opening on the nose piece, through which the exhausts pass:

y4mrkJQfE_hR3biwwVxDY99-Xx6F3bJTsciNawY-

IMAG6163

A picture of the real thing (from the walkarounds here in BM) shows that there was a bulkhead separating the cockpit from the engine, painted interior green:

k2585%2016.jpg

http://www.britmodeller.com/walkarounds/aircraft/tigermoth/G-ANKT/k2585%2016.jpg

So, I decided to make a bulkhead from plasticard. I started by drawing the external profile of the nose cover on paper:

y4mkziJ_ik7kNulfNO9C2ojhwiGMJQGXgOpXx9CQ

IMAG6168

The paper profile was cut off with scissors and adjusted to fit the front opening of the fuselage:

y4mOW3B1taWLH8wo0e-ic4jthnRb2SjOkmGDNf-_

IMAG6169

This was used as a template to make the bulkhead from plasticard, which is here shown in a test fit:

y4m-FBGoIx4Eij66mDfJ5EQI8oxixjbzopaxJK9b

IMAG6170

It must be painted interior green and glued in place.

Next, I took care of the tail fin. I read in my references that the rudder always turned left when the aircraft was unattended on the ground. So, I decided to cut the rudder off the fin and put it in the correct position for added realism. I started with the tail fin part:

y4m3CMAzK_7kQmOxaJfDQHzISmNIliLpjTRZF_n9

IMAG6171

and cut off the rudder using a micro-saw:

y4mkgyqRRiUorbdCO-5QONd_903GZYWfb7LDNncE

IMAG6172

I also removed the small stubs representing the control horns of the rudder, as they will be replaced by PE parts. Before cutting them off I marked their position with small cuts on the inner edge of the rudder:

y4mWxj2nweVqoCBwhmi63AICcmkCGuqpOyLsBJmi

IMAG6175

Here's the rudder ready for application of the PE parts:

y4mpqIsepaBA_Q2NsOX0wHYRoIIB34_Mx3St3dl1

IMAG6176

The control horns of the tail plane will also be replaced by PE parts and must be removed. Here I had already removed one:

y4mtOcaVLlibbgnQhfDcC1b5GqSNXcLz3RnlGQZo

IMAG6173

To allow the installation of the PE control horns, small 0,3mm holes were drilled on the tail plane:

y4mc06PK4pjyYyUoBqcvN7wuiQv5Jr7eMKxG1aBk

IMAG6174

That's as far as I managed to progress recently. I haven't managed to do any additional work, as my German course takes precedence.

Thanks for looking.

Jaime

• Like 7

15 hours ago, CedB said:

Nice work Jaime :) 

I hope the German course is going well.

Thank you Ced! The German course is in its last level and semester. I managed to pass in the C1 level exam in February and am now in the C2 level. The last exam is in late June. It doesn't get any easier and we're now using the language at a very sophisticated level.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Just picked up on this thread. I'm very impressed at the level of detail you are achieving with this one Jamie. I have a couple of these in the stash, and if I can get even close to the standard of build of yours, I will be very pleased! I also saw your RN Phantom through one of the links in the thread and loved it!

Some of my builds have taken several years, so I was heartened to see that others can do the same!

Looking forward to seeing this progress.

Terry

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Just picked up on this thread. I'm very impressed at the level of detail you are achieving with this one Jamie. I have a couple of these in the stash, and if I can get even close to the standard of build of yours, I will be very pleased! I also saw your RN Phantom through one of the links in the thread and loved it!

Some of my builds have taken several years, so I was heartened to see that others can do the same!

Looking forward to seeing this progress.

Terry

Hi Terry, thank you very much for your very kind words and interest! The level of detail you mention is the result of using Eduard's PE set for this kit. I must confess I'm a bit obsessed with super-detailing, so I always throw PE, resin or whatever available after-market bits at a kit. The resulting added complication is also one of the main reasons for my builds taking so long... 🙄

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi again,

I've been away from the bench for quite a while due to my German course. I'm in the last semester of the course and intended to do the C2 certification exam. However, it turns out that at least another semester is needed before I'm fluent enough to try to do the exam. So, though I still have two more weeks before finishing the semester, I've returned to the bench and did some modelling last week-end. Here is a short progress report.

I glued the tail plane to the fuselage:

y4mEVhfT9V8tf1TWQqlb1FlDmkp1ZMP0V5v3o4ZC

IMAG6215

and the tail fin without rudder to the tail plane:

y4mCW5vTEBPH2czE0LGboptd1ZowdRZMkxk2EE28

IMAG6219

The fin doesn't sit completely on the tail plane (that's not a model error, as can be seen in pictures of real TMoths) but some filler is needed in the joins of the tail plane to the fuselage.

I also primed some parts that needed metalic paints, as well as the scratch built bulkhead which separates the cockpit from the engine compartment:

y4mabNFhBrAKnC0538AnndCBEHOejNP3FnvvuV45

IMAG6216

The metallic paints and interior green where used on these parts:

y4mtZaGuyjil9JhoXqL35wUQYMdSHYfW-JbdH7RK

IMAG6217

I hope to start treating the seams in the next few days.

Thanks for looking.

Jaime

• Like 3

Nice progress Jaime :) 

Sorry to hear that the German course will be keeping you away from the bench for another semester. Hopefully it will make you even more fluent!

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, CedB said:

Nice progress Jaime :) 

Sorry to hear that the German course will be keeping you away from the bench for another semester. Hopefully it will make you even more fluent!

Thanks Ced! You're kind as always!

My German fluency is debatable... I can read and write relatively well (but a Dictionary always comes handy :) ), listening is more difficult but my weakest point is speaking, as I only speak in classes (3h per week in total). Anyway, I must better all these competencies and must also read faster, otherwise I won't be able to pass the exam, even with an additional semester.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

For Jaime (and anyone else who has ever attempted to learn German):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Awful_German_Language

Complete text of the essay: https://www.cs.utah.edu/~gback/awfgrmlg.html

with apologies to my German friends, who probably find English just as perplexing!

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Space Ranger said:

For Jaime (and anyone else who has ever attempted to learn German):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Awful_German_Language

Complete text of the essay: https://www.cs.utah.edu/~gback/awfgrmlg.html

with apologies to my German friends, who probably find English just as perplexing!

I've read it in German this semester. Quite funny :)

• 4 weeks later...

Jaime, just found this and I can see up to your usual very high standard! I just happen to be building the same kit at the moment ..but mine seems to be quite a bit smaller than yours  (real human fingers in the shot..) ...I can't imagine using any etch on it, that's for sure!

spacer.png

I hadn't noticed until you mentioned it, but a pic of my local Moth ACDC on the field at Postling Farm, Kent -  rudder offset to the left. Pic also shows the two small struts to the rear of the gear assembly that aren’t in the kit...

spacer.png

..and a tip to improve your spoken German ..watch lots of youtube videos especially the "Easy German" channel with graded 'street' interviews and exercises. There are hundreds of them dealing with any subject...recommended ......"..nicht weil Deutsch einfach ist, sondern weil wir es euch einfach machen moechten, Deutsch zu lernen .."

• Like 1

Hi Falke, ( @FalkeEins )

Thanks a lot for your interest and kind words!

I've finished the semester two weeks ago and now I'm limited to read and listen/watch German material. I've just finished watching season 2 of the German series "Dark" in Netflix (rather convoluted story but I'd recommend it). Thanks for the YouTube channel suggestion. I'm already following that channel but unfortunately haven't seen any clips yet. I'll follow your suggestion more seriously, as the everyday spoken German gets a bit lost in a formal language course. More recently I've been listening almost daily to SWR2 Wissen podcasts, which are always extremely interesting.

Regarding the Tiger Moth, I've been progressing with the build more or less steadily. I've finished painting but I still have to unmask and touch up any painting problems that turn up. I've also added some more detail by applying stretchers for the rigging and control horns for the control cables. All come from the "Stretchers and control horns" Eduard set. I tried to use the ones most similar to the real thing.

The additional undercarriage struts you mention come in the Eduard Tiger Moth PE set. But this set doesn't include all the control horns needed: it lacks the ones for the underside of the elevators and the ones to be installed on the sides of the fuselage, just above the bottom wing, which control the rudder cables. There's also no detail in the kit for the control mechanism and cables for the ailerons, which were installed on the underside of the plane, between the bottom wings.

Anyway, I have to update the thread, which will take some time.

Thanks again,

Jaime

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Nice work! Hope "alles ist gut" on the German course! You can tell I won't be passing any German exams any time soon.

Regards,

Adrian

[edit "alles sind"??]

Thanks Adrian! I think it should be something like: "Ich hoffe, dass alles gut ist"

Cheers

Jaime

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again,

The build has progressed a bit more since my last post and the decals are already on, as well as the sealing Aqua Gloss coat, in preparation for weathering. However I haven't had the time for updating the WIP thread, which I'll try to do now.

So, after the last reported work, I went ahead with the following:

First, I glued the tail fin minus rudder in place:

y4mpBq8rjuDo6N7Q7-XFbPARsooig3Ysh6rH6Bay

IMAG6219

Next, I applied Perfect Plastic Putty to the seams and sink areas on the fuselage:

y4m8G3Ys-kZVLukL2FrBSiQ_cGYgOX6tqdmcx-tf

IMAG6225

y4mgfNOpG1Krwwlwl9t3SvywDtwUEAciNNv9xf0C

IMAG6226

PPP was left to dry for one day and the excess was removed by sanding and filing:

y4mWDeWSCFS2oEKBi6nsyyTUiulr5xABVl_iM8W9

IMAG6229

y4m6MZ4J5FZ5w6FWFqV58McikPDTLej4UHEH_4YC

IMAG6230

The bulkhead between the front cockpit and the engine compartment was glued in place:

y4mHq4vjvlGCaY0ygUbwT4IZTorB__qlHB6Mu7ii

IMAG6231

Now it was time for some extensive PE fun. First, the PE parts around the inner struts under the top wing:

y4mXc3fBfvYqIdkWPkmp4aeLuOjKzm3kAoUnEaOF

IMAG6228

Next, the PE parts on the underside of the aircraft:

y4mPt8yJCtm_vcUogTgblVPOxFmjPTUL1Sbi_EHl

IMAG6232

This was followed by applying the control horns to the rudder:

y4m7gEMcFgCFJXmGi9xHdZLHtlhjoJA-_FzY4xic

IMAG6233

and the control horns to the top of the tail plane control surfaces:

y4mEtS2DvsrST4xJ3z_zyxwK8hN_7gsUnrSopn8H

IMAG6234

However, the Eduard PE set has no control horns for the underside of the tail plane. So, I used PE parts n. 25 from Eduard's set ref. 72438 "Wire stretchers and control horns":

y4mwlTFQ8lkTXe0Bz-A8yHrkvaVm_NIji-aVe9pQ

IMAG6235

The Tiger Moth PE set also doesn't have any wire stretchers for the inter-wing rigging. For these I looked at pictures in my references and also in the following link, which has very good detail pictures:

From this research, I opted for some parts from the already mentioned Eduard set ref. 72438 which I think better resemble the stretchers used in the Tiger Moth.

So, for the stretchers around the outer struts, I chose parts n. 32:

y4mOmP96bp9dewonOXuwQD04hd2CBXVDiqeQ9WGF

IMAG6236

Initially I glued them too far from the strut glueing points:

y4mPvc8tzX0C0rapmvK5yz35SB3ziyKp03kYBi0E

IMAG6237

After better analysis of the detail pictures, I had to remove them and glue them right next to the holes:

y4m92D3BwBVtMP_XBf1jyZAGdqmTPd9trhyflFlH

IMAG6243

For the stretchers near the lower wing roots and around the inner struts on the underside of the top wing, I chose parts n. 38. First, I had to drill small holes with a 0.3 mm drill:

y4mhleIwTs7z_c8HNRm2mv--_4mOs5QkLSOw1r5p

IMAG6238

After glueing the PE parts, this was the result:

y4mW5DFiYU3yXoR0p90AJm-m9a6VAOzLR1yhpHws

IMAG6239

y4mdEbildzaoYXXCgJhmTWp-JQUgnYMEiFrgGfaM

IMAG6240

That's already quite a bit for one post, so I'll proceed with more work in the next post.

Thanks for looking.

Jaime

• Like 5

On 8/1/2015 at 6:30 AM, jrlx said:

The aircraft will be rigged, of course

Nice looking kit.  If you need info or tips on rigging, I do it all the time .  I would stay away from elastic.  Try .005 monofilament, CA, and hemostats.  very much like tying flies.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

More work, starting from one month ago till last week-end.

I masked the interior of the nose piece and the front of the fuselage, in preparation for priming, using masking tape and blue tak:

y4mEQbf3Wdl-8lutwaYX0F2jgptpyuRb03yNstZd

IMAG6241

The cockpit was also masked:

y4mkZ0FWscsik0zy3iWAi1155H3UWcLHFTM0vvpm

IMAG6244

Then, I primed all parts and sub-assemblies with Alclad Grey Primer and Microfiller:

y4mgTWY2EWczi5TXn2FXpF7Hb43yAcf6VnLg4kaP

IMAG6249

The primer was sanded in order to improve the surface finish and a second coat of primer was applied.

Then I noticed that I still had some work to do related to the control cabling. First, I had to apply PE parts to the leading edge of the tail plane, through which the top control cables for the tail plane control surfaces will pass:

y4mzcXmA9i0Gk4Tg7nSawOSknmMPHaE41j3FLS2K

IMAG6251

These control cables enter the fuselage on the sides near the tail. I drilled the necessary holes with a 0.3 mm drill:

y4muaLTbWlyXAS4c14VjE199Vw37ueckaQzzVGgf

IMAG6254

The control mechanism and cabling for the ailerons below the fuselage also implied some additional drilling on the under wing:

y4mtJTpUJpid_5h5RSMGEbM46jLZ8yaWNsNzJss-

IMAG6252

and the scratch building of a small piece to reproduce the control mechanism for the cabling. This will be cut to size latter:

y4mdZMgFtN-Td202Te1IJYFJejyDwn6J2L9Ga1yo

IMAG6253

and an additional hole for installing this part:

y4mS_Wgv-FYv3aDsqLPuACUADutEDvDMA62fHdR9

IMAG6255

The painting phase could now start. I sketched the camouflage demarcation lines on the aircraft with a pencil. This was only approximate, as I would later use precisely cut masks:

y4mK-rCSvtOXO2wC2_d5x3_zHoorsli3Rd5moZ5l

IMAG6256

Top camouflage Dark Earth and lower wing top colour Green Brown/Khaki were applied (Gunze H72 and H402, respectively):

y4m4skc2lBnbBiVAkuS8eAPtf_8guDUJoX8H01np

IMAG6257

For masking I enlarged the colour scheme on the box back to model-size. Then applied masking tape on the enlarged scheme and cut the tape according to the camouflage contours. The resulting masks were applied to the model.

Here is the masking of the lower wing:

y4mWMqJgDar9eed56wVnSLr68GoC0l610nlWqITp

IMAG6258

The lower wing dark colour was H405 Olive Green:

y4m7hOGqI8rAkrZ6weWcHGYfcX0uh5b02F0plBSl

IMAG6259

Next, I protected the lower wing and applied masking to the top wing, in preparation for painting the last top camouflage colour:

y4mWAxU91hA9bBEuvPXGnJqWD-lL72Ag9gwgmKCT

IMAG6260

The last top camouflage colour was H330 Dark Green:

y4mwTEzlAUXn0UaelDiQfb6gHwuavC3XoyjnzttY

IMAG6262

Before applying the yellow to the undersides and other yellow parts, I painted these areas and parts with matt white:

y4mGimFNDBsBFMtk_HhokNNAKR5TKtKaApBnP7dQ

IMAG6263

y4mpfR5D-WJ2ped1a48PLaWBaxDFQKCxmiL-sdna

IMAG6264

y4mLRTz3KMKg-FIQU6JmKzUlmM8l9x08xx7MrGNu

IMAG6265

As can be seen in the previous picture, before priming with white I also painted the tires with H77 Tire Black and the propeller with H12 Matt Black.

Then I painted the yellow areas with H34 Cream Yellow. As this is a gloss colour, I left the paint to dry for several days. After removing the masking, this was the result:

y4mCPsKMhOkzJzT0z9T7r-VaMB_PGsuoxvBtOJq_

IMAG6266

y4mj6SQ_Nfld6MPu4_Yk--CAArRXF-JtYhkVJQWW

IMAG6267

y4m7N0JnuRQ7E5lnkzOCvoKquoRD0DB_3OdfauBN

IMAG6268

y4m_afaCwAlzL5Fy-0QfrS75qnEnnya4hIO0YETu

IMAG6269

y4mn7ZAyYAMmvLFdpVL4zoeN2BJHq55sR1Bkj3YF

IMAG6269

There were a few blemishes and painting problems I had to rectify, but nothing too serious. After that, I applied the first phase of weathering: dry brushing on the wing ribbing with a lighter tone of the camouflage colours. I used the Khaki on the Dark Earth, Olive Green on the Dark Green and lighter versions of the Khaki and Olive Green, by mixing these colours with white, for the lower wing colours. The results are shown below:

y4mu1QxDWrSn6kpf5k4mqa2C8XuZIBElgvAjDUlc

IMAG6271

y4m_JQhhGwSe93cYEf4E87pVp69zZ3uVKcMQ6zGs

IMAG6272

y4mrjaX0cuDbkO35gP645kWBqBqK82j6IYNJK-bV

IMAG6273

That's all for this post. Thanks for looking.

Jaime

• Like 6

1 hour ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Nice looking kit.  If you need info or tips on rigging, I do it all the time .  I would stay away from elastic.  Try .005 monofilament, CA, and hemostats.  very much like tying flies.

Thanks John. I intend to rigg it with Uschi's fine rigging line and CA. Elastic fishing line is too thick for the scale. By the way, is there any other reason for not recommending elastic fishing line?

Cheers

Jaime

Love the use of the PE rigging fixings.

Altogether looking very nice.

For rigging, I have used both mono-filament fishing line and Uschi line (which is elastic). horses for courses but I too would like to know about 'staying away from elastic'?

Stuart

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jrlx said:

any other reason

I find I am always at the mercy of the elasticity.  With the mono I have complete control over the tautness of the line when I stretch it on the rig with the hemostats.

Like this...

spacer.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

I find I am always at the mercy of the elasticity.  With the mono I have complete control over the tautness of the line when I stretch it on the rig with the hemostats.

Like this...

spacer.png

How many trips to the hospital have you had! Cunning work though.

jaime, nice to see you at this and it’s come along loads! Looks fantastic 

Rob

• Thanks 1