C-130 Hercules J by Italeri

Notice the black part on the tail fin. Supplied as a decal but I decided against using the decals.

I Used the decals as a stencil then painted the fin instead. I didn't want the stress of a large decal not going on properly and all other decal problems.

All in all, the result was for me was much better.

The finished model will be on a simple diorama. So I intend to use the Airfix Snatch Land Rover with a couple of Airfix figures,

Now as a vehicle modeller one might expect an expert build. Wrong! I didn't intend to fuss too much with it as its not the main feature, not say that it was going to be thrown together either. Sounds very much like an excuse to me lol.

image.jpg1_zpsm0sxu672.jpg

That's it for now. Thanks to all who are following this, I hope to inspire those among us who might be dubious to post up their efforts.

There is room for us guys who aren't experts so give it ago.

Nice build.

The J internal tanks aren't bigger, it's just that the engines are more fuel efficient; that said, some (not all) RAF J's are now fitted or capable of being fitted with external tanks.

John

• Like 1

Nice build.

The J internal tanks aren't bigger, it's just that the engines are more fuel efficient; that said, some (not all) RAF J's are now fitted or capable of being fitted with external tanks.

John

Thanks for that bit of info, much appreciated.

Time to lay on the top coat. I used the desert tan scheme, idea being that on my diorama the aircraft would be sat on the runway threshold during an exercise prior to the Army unit deploying to a war zone.

image.jpg3_zpswt0tm70l.jpg

Interior has been duly weathered.

image.jpg2_zpssy4way3l.jpg

image.jpg4_zpsdfupelwn.jpg

image.jpg1_zpsg9jc3c22.jpg

I know this is an aircraft thread but bear with me.

Next problem was the Barracuda netting as in this photo.

image.jpg1_zps0ddey6du.jpg

Then I remembered that I had an Eduard 1:35 photo etch sheet, decided it was better to use it rather than some home made job which wouldn't look right anyway. The sheet was in European camo so it was painted with a lightened tan.

image.jpg3_zpswz0ecxev.jpg

image.jpg4_zpsghrj6jah.jpg

Here painted.

image.jpg2_zpsny3mlcoc.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsny3mlcoc.jpg

Edited by Ian Suds

What this kit didn't supply was the mesh in the Bull Bars, I corrected this with some left over from a Leopard Tank, supplied to make wire baskets. Also the windscreen shield wasn't correct, the kit had a decal to place on the windscreen.

Here was my solution.

image.jpg1_zpsmpecg7bu.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsjuumbarw.jpg

image.jpg3_zpslbppjqwm.jpg

Now we can return to the real deal. The Herc.

Wings test fitted. The sharp eyed will notice that the careless clot ie Me broke the probe off, not to worry that'll be sorted later.

image.jpg1_zpso6gkvna3.jpg

Also removed the windscreen which was temporarily fitted.

image.jpg2_zpshvozcddw.jpg

Engines fitted to the Port wing after gluing in position.

image.jpg3_zpspril37sa.jpg

Followed by the Starboard wing then the joint filled.

image.jpg4_zpsoy78gjcg.jpg

image.jpg5_zps1pobpk50.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for the comment Blitz, by the way get that Hurricane started lol.

Figures started.image.jpg1_zps6hyewkux.jpgimage.jpg3_zpsrvh7xe5k.jpgimage.jpg2_zpsrw1dhe1l.jpg

Haha I will I will, just gotta clear this P-40 off the bench first!

• Like 1

Next task was applying the decals, despite plenty of Klear I still had a little silvering. Here they are applied then covered with a coat of Klear for the weathering protection.

image.jpg1_zpswhjh78vj.jpg

Remember the black patch on the tail fin was painted and I reckon looked much better than applying the decals.

image.jpg5_zpsuqr7duut.jpg

Had a peek at the windscreen to see if it had masked OK with no paint running under the masking. This was always going to be a stressful moment. Looked OK, but what about the rest?

image.jpg3_zpspnhcalwq.jpg

image.jpg4_zpsmoxucayt.jpg

Now at the stage where I'm a little nervous, oil washes/ filters and weathering. At this scale I wasn't sure this was going to be a success.

image.jpg1_zpsuteflvqx.jpg

image.jpg2_zpszmqboftl.jpg

The masks were removed from the windscreen, I was relieved that there were no major issues

Oil filters to change the paint tone in places.

image.jpg4_zpson9mkids.jpg

The high gloss slowly going.

image.jpg5_zpsigsta6eb.jpg

image.jpg3_zpstjrtghjx.jpg

• Like 1

Final photos for tonight. It's nearing completion :)

Remasked the windscreen with liquid mask and the whole aircraft was given two light coats of mat varnish.

Work had also started on the props and they were near ready to be fitted. After breaking off the refuelling probe there was no way they were being fitted 'till the aircraft was on the base.

image.jpg1_zps9u138t26.jpg

image.jpg3_zpsqym80ckj.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsjgsin3ia.jpg

That's all for now, again it's a goodnight to all you modellers out there.

Edited by Ian Suds
  • Like 4

Nice work Ian, :thumbsup:

Are you using the kit decals?

Thanks for the comments, yes I used the kit decals. The lad who bought this had put his grubby mits (he is a motor mechanic) over them also I had the kit around two years before starting it. The decals were a bit of a struggle to put because of that but they did go down. I wasn't for spending any money on this, apart from my paints :)

All that space going to waste...and raised panel lines...Take a look here http://www.barneysairforce.com and see what an old geezer with too much time on his hands did about the above. My better half says that I'm nuts.

Nice looking Herc by the way

\

Barney

His example is something else. Just didn't have the time, or the skill if I'm honest, to sand off all the raised lines and then scribe them.

The owner was chuffed with it, he is a TA para and just wanted this done as he has jumped from them many times. He was more than happy for an out of the box build with some weathering.