All looking great so far Max. I'll be using the 1/32 eyelets on my future 1/32 build and even then I can't see the bloody holes so I'd be stuffed using 1/48 ones. With the knitting in elastic, do you reckon it'd be thin enough for the rigging on a 1/72 kit? I have to use the invisible thread on VH-AMY as I've already started but I'm thinking of future builds. If I can get away from having to use a match to tighten the rigging I'd be happy. I like you thinking re warping the wings too. Awesome work mate :)

OK, wing warping successfully achieved, glad that's over! The lower Moth's wings look fairly good so I don't propose making any changes there:

DSCN8594_zpsrbksstto.jpg
DSCN8593_zpsvmn8y08b.jpg
I've also added the bell-cranks for the ailerons, they need a little more work on them with a small file just to neaten them up a bit. I've added some pins on the rudders in order to secure them to the fin but leaving a bit of a gap where the hinges are:
DSCN8595_zpsehedf7dc.jpg
DSCN8110_zpscfnzw9ps.jpg
I'm working on the underside of the fuselage at the moment, trying to get the detail of panels, covers, aileron wires etc right.
Max
  • Like 1

It's been pretty quiet in Tiger Mothland over the weekend, so I thought I'd post just a shot or two of what I've been up to! I've started working on the underside of one of the Moths, from my photographs and memory I did a scale sketch of what's what:

DSCN8602_zpsrfbmcdrk.jpg

I completely sanded off the Revell moulding, no idea what it was supposed to represent, and started adding some of the features, initially the access panel under the forward cockpit position:

DSCN8598_zpszgk70f4h.jpg

and now cutting out the slot for the aileron control horn to project:

DSCN8601_zpslymrkh7j.jpg
More later!
Max
  • Like 1

Hi Max, very nice, was wondering how I might do the fuselage below the cockpit, will watch and use as refernce if that's okay. Could I ask what you used as the guides on the horizontal tailplanes for the control cables please ?

Keep up the good work

All the best
Chris​

Thanks Mish and Chris, I'm really enjoying these two builds - all's gone well so far but there are sure to be problems ahead when I come to put the wings on! My enjoyment is helped by my new model room and set up - at last I have both space and good light!

IMG_0916_zpsvohtm4zm.jpg

Chris, the guides are the little "twists" of wire from Bob's Buckles, so effectively part of a turnbuckle. They're easy enough to make, lots of instruction to be found online.

Max

I do like how you've got the gaps between the horizontal and the vertical stabs and also the rudder. I'll be shamelessly stealing those ideas for my build when I get to it :coolio: :coolio: :coolio: Oh and nice modelling room setup mate :)

Edited by hrtpaul

A little more progress on the underside detailing using Evergreen strip:

DSCN8606_zpsvmhdmwnx.jpg

These arrived this morning, Meng nuts and bolts - just in time for some to be added to the plane, but don't tell anyone.......they're 1/35 scale not 1/32!!

DSCN8607_zpszcmoltae.jpg
Max
  • Like 2

Hi Max

Thanks for the Tip re the guides, I do have some for a WNW Snipe but I will make them as they are very easy to make anyway (I did this for the smallest gauges on the Instrument panels following the carpet monster getting hungry and eating my last PE ones. I do like the work you have done underneath, as Paul said, I too will be shamelessly stealing your ideas and using !!! I hope you don't mind.

I like your work space, very light and very clean and tidy, wow. Gonna have to give mine a tidy!!!

Keep up the good work

All the best

Chris

Chris, I'm more than happy to share any information, tips, techniques etc that I have gathered together....I hesitate to call it expertise cos it isn't, just trial and error and a happy coincidence that I've got such good access to 3 Tiger Moths. :)

Max

OK, I've found what I hope is the solution to fixing rigging line to GasPatch turnbuckles....though it's rather fiddly! I slid a length (3mm) of 0.5mm brass tube over the "extended part" of the turnbuckle and secured it with a smear of CA. The brass tube needs a 0.3mm drill run through it first to de-burr it and the extended part of the turnbuckle needs a light file round it first. So the brass tube is acting as a sleeve. A dab of CA just pushed inside the sleeve is enough to hold the line when inserted:

DSCN8687_zpsoapscjk6.jpg

The 0.5mm micro-tubing cut to length is available from Bob's Buckles though I'm sure there are other sources.

Max

• Like 1