It was my original intention to model one of these Tiger Moths, T-7938 since my father flew her a month beforehand, but in the meantime I've picked up a couple of the venerable Revell 1/32nd scale Tiger Moths, so "in for a penny, in for a pound" I've decided to do a dio of the crash! Madness??? Yes, probably.....challenging definitely but I think it'll be fun. It gives me licence to model the extent of the damage as much, or as little as I think. I'll probably start off before cutting plastic by doing a few sketches from different angles so that I have a plan of attack, as it were.

DSCN6288_zps49652c53.jpg

DSCN6287_zpsf032e4d9.jpg
DSCN7601_zpsgbpqn9rc.jpg
I'm also doing a little research on the cadet pilot killed in the 14 May 43 crash, Sergeant Ernest Thomas Rees from Llanelli. He's an interesting character because he was 27 years old (most like Dad were 18 or 19), married and had been mentioned in despatches! So far I've found out that his MiD was during the Battle of Britain where he was commended for "gallant and distinguished service", presumably as ground crew. I've got a small feature asking for info from any family members being published in next week's Llanelli Star newspaper, keeping my fingers crossed.
Max
  • Like 3

Hi Max,

that really is an interesting project. I wish you luck and success and I'll keep an eye on your progress :)

Cheers

Jaime

Edited by jrlx

Good luck with your enquiries into Sergeant Ernest Thomas Rees from Llanelli and also with the models/diorama, I`ll be following with interest. I`ve always liked the Tiger Moths and Cornells flown by this unit.

Cheers

Tony

Thanks Tony, the bits that I'm not looking forward to are the chequer bands. I've done it once on one Tiger which is still WIP, but now it's twice. I had to cut each square by hand and apply it in order to mask the area, very fiddly and time consuming!

DSCN7353_zpszpkycjka.jpg

Max

• Like 1

Well I've made a start, kind of. I've cut all the main bits off the sprues for both planes so today I hope to find the time to clean them up and to separate the elevators and rudders, razor saw work. I think in the initial stages I'll be adopting a production-line approach and since both aircraft are upside down I'll not be fussing too much with the cockpits. This should be the state in a couple of hours:

DSCN6280_zps461b2ccd.jpg

Max

• Like 2

OK, bit more of a realistic start this morning, working on both Tiger Moths.

This simply shows the rudder separated from the tailplane and the small changes to be made before installation. The forward tip of the tailplane is secured to the fuselage just forward of the horizontal tailplane/fuselage joint......

empennage%20changes_zpsm6byrf3h.jpg
.....like this:
DSCN7392_zpsuleaxi3z.jpg
list%20of%20changes_zpssqgbzedt.jpg
This is a list of changes made, or imminent:
1. The tailplane with a support post added which will fit on the rear of the fuselage.
2. The location slot in the empennage filled.
3. The elevator control horns fitted. These, and the rudder ones are far too thick and have been sanded to a better thickness.
4. Only one control stick fitted: I'm assuming that Rees was on his first solo so his instructor had removed the front stick!
5. A horizontal slot will be cut in the bulkhead behind both seats, this is where the seat belts are secured.
6. The fuel tank will be detailed to show a gauge, tap etc..
7. The luggage compartment will be rescribed more accurately with securing clips added, I may cut one of them open and have the lid hanging after impact. :)
8. As 5., but also there is a slight overhang of the fuselage side which needs to be cut back flush with the bulkhead.
Max
  • Like 1

Hi Max, looking good so far, will watch the rescribe of the luggage compartment as I will need to know where the correct opening panel is.

All the best

Chris

Thanks Chris. This is one that I took of the latest of Kevin's restorations for the luggage compartment positioning. Note where the hinge line is, not on the fuselage centreline as Revell has it. Also note the little right angle corner on the aft cockpit edge, linked with No. 8 in my last post. The Revell line is just a straight diagonal but putting in that right angle enables you to accurately get rid of the overhang. Hope that all makes sense!! :)

Max

DSCN8091_zpswbmfk0hn.jpg

• Like 1

I've glued the bulkheads in on the starboard side, having cut the slots out, and taped the port fuselage side in place to ensure correct alignment of the bulkheads. I've also amended the profile of the rear cockpit edge to show the difference between what should be, and what's moulded. Also highlighted are the luggage compartment adjustments:

luggage%20compartment_zpscv1ets0l.jpg

I'll be gluing a thin strip of plastic stretched sprue in the hinge position and making a couple of fasteners from plastic card. That's probably about it for today!! :)

Max

• Like 1

I sprayed the cockpit interiors yesterday evening, I used Mr Hobby Interior Green (lovely paints which I thin slightly with Tamiya X20A):

DSCN8532_zpsxcrujxin.jpg

and after it had thoroughly dried overnight I applied a VERY diluted Indian ink wash to all parts, then used just the air jet from my airbrush to direct and dry the ink:

DSCN8536_zpstghmpqok.jpg

I'll be giving corners a very light sanding just to knock off some of the colour and paint the trim lever and leading edge slat levers dull silver, but little more than that on this occasion.

Max

• Like 2

A few bits and pieces done so far today on both Tigers; the rubbing strips below the rear cockpit have been added and the small bracket below the front cockpit which shields the rudder cable horn. The internal luggage compartment is finished, that of course was only an extra aft bulkhead and a floor. Next in this area will be the hinge and fasteners, though I'm working on the instrument panels right now, hopefully completed later if the base paint dries enough!

DSCN8540_zpsxwifldvd.jpg

DSCN8539_zpsd7ihbp36.jpg
A few unnecessary locating holes filled too....it all makes working for the working man to do (even though I'm retired!) :)
Max
  • Like 1

Four IPs completed....phew....I feel as though I've been holding my breath all afternoon! Time for a beer to relax a bit I reckon. :)

DSCN8541_zpsasu8is7c.jpg

I must admit that I don't like the way that the compass is moulded as part of the IP, sticking out in front like a lump of cake or something. If it wasn't for the fact that the inside of the cockpits aren't really going to be visible, I'd be cutting them all off and scratch-building some better looking ones, but these will be OK with this build.

Max

• Like 2

Nope, they're just a straight transfer slide, fortunately with no carrier film overlap so each one nestles quite nicely into its face. I've since put a small blob of Klear onto each dial so they're looking quite smart!

Max

• Like 1