B-24J or Liberator Gr.Mk.VI (not decided yet)

Hey guys, so i finaly started on the Liberator. It ll be one of versions with nose turret. I did not decided yet what camouflage i ll be doing. I have few favourites:

- The dragon and his tail - my favourite one, though the NMF surface needs superb clean work on the build (which i need to learn yet:) )

gddta.jpg

- one of the Coastal commands Liberators GR.Mk.VI (311 czechoslovak squadron)

aircraft_liberator_gr_mk_vi_311_squadron
for this one i would need to find some more info about Coastal command liberators VI - mainly about which turrets these were using (US turrets or boulton paul? the waist gunners using single 0,5cal MG or double 0,33 MG?), if the GR.VI were using the rocket racks on fuselage sides under cockpit like the gr.V? or the rocket launchers in bomb bay? or none at all? and such
- or some desert pink US B-24J
So far i did some rivets work on the fuselage (need to do wings yet, it takes a lot of time :) ) and started on the interior work. Added some details on the cockpit floor and built all new pilots + co-pilots seats. Just base painted so far, i ll add some weathering and wash once i finish whole interior. :)
Fotografie_0185.jpg
Fotografie_0183.jpg
Fotografie_0172.jpg
Fotografie_0180.jpg
Fotografie_0175.jpg
Fotografie_0176.jpg
Edited by Wolwe82
  • Like 4

I think you can rule out Desert Pink on anything other than Ds.

CC Liberator Mk.VIs had the US turrets and side guns, variants as appropriate to build standard, though I'm not sure why they bothered with the latter. The B Mk.VIs, yes. I don't recall seeing any photos of them with rockets.

You might not want to ask too many questions, for there is an entire book given over to the different nose shapes seen on B-24s with nose turrets, and that's without specific reference to British ones (although they can be identified by the serial).

Edited by Graham Boak

True about the desert pink i see, i was missled with the kitsworld decals for dragon and his tail instructions, as there are 3 desert pink b-24s, but just now i noticed all are D´s .. :) So lets see, what camo i ll find out to be the most exciting for me later :)

Welcome to the build ,all would be good but l think Graham is right abut the pink

Cheer's Les

I have the dragon if you need them

Les

• Like 1

Thanks Les, i have already ordered the Dragon and his tail decals from Kits World :) But the Coastal command Liberator is nice to me too (czech squadron, national feelings you know ;) ), also there is the Academy D kit in my stash, in my mind i see two Liberators of 311 czechoslovak squadron next to each other.. ;) though the D (Mk.V) loaded with rockets on the side of the nose and the huge light reflector under wing would look better than just white/grey "normal" GR.VI... :) So the Dragon is still no.1 option now :)

I have to say the Hasegawa kit is amazing and if i was not going for the interior detailing (you wont be able to see much of it anyway), the build phase would take like evening or two max.. thats how great the fit is! I bought this kit in a sale and now i m feeling so stupid i did not buy two or three of the kits... :banghead:

I vote for the RAF GR,VI,.......great work so far!

DK Decals have just released a sheet for 311 Sqn with lots of Czech Libs on it and those with Czech markings on them after they returned home look very nice and might `float your boat'?

311_navod.jpg

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 2

Thanks Tony, it was today when i ordered this decal sheet as well ;) the one with Czech marking would be nice, but these were disarmed - they served only as a transport planes, the post war czech air force did not want the Liberators and i think the Liberators were exchanged for Mosquito´s (not exactly sure about the info though). Also i think the 311sqn GR.VI did not used the Sperry belly turret, some were using radar instead and some had just the turret removed. It seems i ll have to do some study on this theme :) IF i only had more time for building so i could build all of them and did not have to decide which one i m going for... :D

Thanks Tony, it was today when i ordered this decal sheet as well ;) the one with Czech marking would be nice, but these were disarmed - they served only as a transport planes, the post war czech air force did not want the Liberators and i think the Liberators were exchanged for Mosquito´s (not exactly sure about the info though). Also i think the 311sqn GR.VI did not used the Sperry belly turret, some were using radar instead and some had just the turret removed. It seems i ll have to do some study on this theme :) IF i only had more time for building so i could build all of them and did not have to decide which one i m going for... :D

Here is link for a radar you could use. This was in the place of the sperey turret (but you already new that).

http://www.aviationmegastore.com/?shopid=&action=prodinfo&parent_id=&art=131268

There was also in the past one from Paragon I believe.

Cheers,

Thanks Arnold :) at first i thought i would simply make the radar cover from some old fuel tank, but as you noticed there is aftermarket always.. :) so i found out Quickboost is making the anti-submarine radar too :)

By the way, would anyone have some photo or link, showing the interior with the anti-radar on board? Both in the operators office and in the fuselage waist. Thanks :)

Hi Wolwe. Good to see you back with another build. Excellent start with the cockpit detailing. You truly are a master of the art of building stunning 1/72 aircraft. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Hey Stix, thanks :) honestly so far it is not my best detailing, but hopefuly as the build ll progress, it ll get better :) actualy i have done "ribbing" of pilots cockpit, front wheel well, radio operator´s office and the bombardier office, it is painted and next step ll be adding of some instruments, wires and such. I wanted to upload shots tonight from work, but i forgot the camera at home, so some shots hopefuly tomorrow :)

As for the camoouflage, i m still not sure if it ll be the Coastal Command GR.VI or the J - Dragon and his tail.. More and more im thinking about geting second Hasegawa "J" Liberator... :D

• Like 2

Thanks guys :) i have to set this build on second rail for now as i have like 18 days to build a birthday gift (it ll be Bf 109E-3 and i ll build it as a part of the BoB GB here on BM :) ), but as soon as i m done with it, i m back on to this baby ! :)

(i got the 311 sqn decals already, so now i have few options in my mind... so far the most like version is to finish this one as dragon and its tail aaand build the Eduard - Academy B-24D as one of the Liberator GR.III of 311 sqn, with the B.P. back turret, 0,33 cal twins for waist gunners, radar else under nose or in the place of the belly turret, big reflector under right wing and rockets on nose or in the bomb bay.. depends if i ll have enough time and for sure, this second Liberator would be build just out of box with no extra detailing)

• 10 months later...

Hi guys,

I´m interested in building a Coastal Command Liberator. I tried to get Hasegawa´s Liberator B-24J Coastal Command Limited Edition but it´s just to hard to find and expensive. I have the Jolly Rogers one. Can someone tell me if I can build accurately OOB one of the B-24´s pictured in the B-24 RAF or 311 Sqn sheets from DK Decals? I want to build one with the Extra Dark Sea Grey/Dark Slate Gray upperside camouflage and White fuselage and underside.

Thanks

• Like 1

I m sorry but i dont have so deep knowledge about the various Hasegawa boxings :( And as this thread is in B-24 Single type group build and that one is already closed (or, finished), not many ppl ll be checking new posts here - i would suggest you to make new thread with your question in

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/23-wwii/:) Good luck, cheers :)