Avro Vulcan Rear Crew Belts and Straps-Photo Request

cathasatail

Good evening all,

Could I enquire as to whether anyone would have any photos of the Vulcan rear crew seats with all of the cushions/padding added and any belts and straps that were present on such seats? I've seen numerous photos of the rear crew seats (been lucky enough to have the experience of sitting in one at the Midland Air Museum) and in almost all of those photos, no buckles and straps are present (presumably because they are museum aircraft). What kind of straps were present in operational aircraft?

A bit of context-Having abandoned my early attempt failure at creating a 1:35 plasticard vulcan cockpit and getting all of the proportions and structure completely wrong, I embark (with more skill, dare I say) but on a different scale and a different material-card. I'm attempting to make a 1:48 card vulcan, I would post the build process on this website but the photo uploading process is so much easier on the blog compared to here (i'm sorry to say). If anyone fancies having a peek-http://cardvulcan.blogspot.co.uk/

Regards,

Sam

• Like 1

Been back to the Midland Air Museum today,the only strap present is the one that clips the survival pack in the seat to the crew's harness. I once again noticed the small notches on the upper sides of the rear crew seats and unfortunately I still don't know what they are for :(

On the plus side I've got some good shots of the flare gun :P

Thanks,

Sam

Been back to the Midland Air Museum today,the only strap present is the one that clips the survival pack in the seat to the crew's harness. I once again noticed the small notches on the upper sides of the rear crew seats and unfortunately I still don't know what they are for :(

On the plus side I've got some good shots of the flare gun :P

Thanks,

Sam

In actual fact its called a cabin pressure pistol!

Selwyn

(With his pedantic head on again!)

I once again noticed the small notches on the upper sides of the rear crew seats and unfortunately I still don't know what they are for :(

Thanks,

Sam

For stowing the parachute upright whilst the aircraft is on the ground. A couple of bungee loops attach to the "hooks"

Edited by sloegin57
  • Like 1

Aha! That's what they were for then! I thank you very much for that piece of information, I've often seen these hooks on many museum aircraft in photos and they've always been unconnected to anything-now I know why. :)

Thank you very much,

Sam