Age of Sigmar - Horrors of Tzeentch

Hi folks,

After the Flesh Hound I painted one of the angels - these are probably the reason I bought the box - it's crazy that you can have something so big and airborne suspended on a skinny bit of plastic scrollwork.

20399516199_b4a2e3d266_b.jpg

Latest bit of this project is the Flesh Hound of Khorne:

20226526230_90438e49f6_b.jpg

I've been doing mainly figure modelling since we moved house - my office (and modelling room) is really too cold with the window open at night to paint comfortably. So instead I've been either cleaning up parts or painting things I'd already primed while sat in front of the TV.

I posted some of this in another work-in-progress thread, but I've just finished five of the rank-and-file (or perhaps unruly mob) Chaos infantry from Games Workshop's new Age of Sigmar box.

19919594270_802f10d226_b.jpg

Lots of new things to try on these - painting big areas of skin, the furry boots and cuffs, lacquered armour etc. I also highlighted the metals with Vallejo Liquid Gold + Silver, which are surprisingly bright and bling-ey.

20107613375_91acc6e8de_b.jpg

I think after this I might be allowed to paint one of the characters or something else a bit less repetitive as a break. Was fun though, and they've only taken a week and a bit of evenings which for me is pretty quick. I think they came out well although I ought to try harder with the helmets, and this guy's eyes are a bit suspect:

19491303653_3a48937197_b.jpg

20086018076_a66ed728b5_b.jpg

19491315473_0c5bfbbb93_b.jpg

19924223918_e2b4ef948e_b.jpg

The reason I bought the box (which initially looked a bit off in pictures) was that I got a free figure with the GW magazine (well, bought the magazine for the figure...) and thought it was fun to paint and a bit of a change. Doing more of the same seemed like a good idea :)

19278038463_303b07dcc3_b.jpg

Cheers,

Will

• Like 14

Superb as ever Will! Saw some of these recently and although they are not my cuppa, they look impressive painted up as a 'mob'!

Thanks for the kind comments - I wasn't sure if I liked them either at first (not a Chaos fan) but it's been fun to paint what are effectively Metalhead Vikings :)

I do use a pretty good magnifier since I'm longsighted (even with glasses) - an Optivisor with the LP5 lens - I think that might be 2.5x magnification?

Will

• Like 1

I took a picture with my treeman :)

19969644029_9f102d9779_b.jpg

Was fun, but I think I need more scenery before I attempt this again. I have a Citadel wood somewhere which has some surprisingly good plastic trees, I should paint it up.

Will

• Like 6

Thanks Andy! The big pay off for painting units (even small ones) is the opportunity to pose some photos. I think I'm going to need some scenery before too long as there's only so much you can do with a black background though.

Cheers,

Will

Some more progress on the Khorne side today - after doing the rank-and-file Bloodreavers (well, some of them) I thought I'd clean up and assemble the character models:

Starting with this Khorgorath which had a really weird head (studio model). I cut off the top part of the head, and the back of the Chaos Lord's armour (which had a suitable skull) and trimmed the two until they fit together. The horns are also trimmed off the original head and re-attached to the new one. I filled the gaps with CA and talc.

20271198672_221c599c90_b.jpg

The Lord had a Khorne icon behind his armour which was a bit too dominant - I cut this off (using the skull for the monster above) and swapped in a piece of the monster's head (waste nothing!) to make a smaller collar. Hopefully the axe and the character's head stand out a bit more now than they did.

19656887984_5fa502d9cd_b.jpg

The other two models (standard bearer and whip guy) are just done following the instructions. I guess I did leave off the standard bearer's spiked collar since I thought it'd be cool to see the straining tendons in his neck :)

20279531915_38fcd33a86_b.jpg

19658578513_6b7fdc1d81_b.jpg

Next step is to prime these and see if there are any more seams to deal with.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 3

I removed the bone tentacle thing and fitted a dirty great spike instead following a suggestion received elsewhere:

20095470940_d53afee3e3_b.jpg

Also primed them all, and cut down the bone tentacles to make icky Ceti Eel-like worms with which to decorate the base :)

W

• Like 3

Not my kind of stuff, normally, but this is truly amazing! What size are we talking about, for the beast in your last pic? I mean actual, not the scale.

Ciao

I wasn't sure I was into these either but they're quite addictive - the same kind of excess as heavy metal really. And for GW quite good value - I think there are 47 models in the box which works out under 5 NZD per miniature.

I measured - they're always smaller than I expect! This one (which looks quite big) is 67mm to the top of his horns, although he's obviously a bit wider than he is tall so there's quite a lot of bulk that the number doesn't convey.

Will

• Like 1

I wasn't sure I was into these either but they're quite addictive - the same kind of excess as heavy metal really.

I kinda know what you mean ... :coolio::winkgrin:

I measured - they're always smaller than I expect! This one (which looks quite big) is 67mm to the top of his horns, although he's obviously a bit wider than he is tall so there's quite a lot of bulk that the number doesn't convey.

Reasonable size (for my liking, of course). My preference goes to 70-75mm figures (for full body ones), so this one falls in the same area. Nonetheless, it is incredibly detailed for the scale.

Thanks for the info! :thumbsup:

Ciao

No problem - the metallics are the previous Games Workshop paints - Boltgun Metal and Mithril Silver, plus some of the Dwarf Bronze from the line before that in the hexagonal pots.

After some washes I highlighted them with lines and points of the Vallejo Liquid Gold and Liquid Silver, which are much brighter. They require some care though as they have real metal particles in (I think most metallic paints use mica) and if you get any water near them they will apparently rust! The paint base is alcohol, so I use Vallejo's special brush cleaner and have a brush with tape on the handle just for those paints.

[edit] except for the shiny dude who's painted with airbrushed Alclad II paints.

HTH,

Will

• Like 1

I started painting the lord's flesh hound since I was umming and ahing about how to approach the big chap's skin and I already had a plan of sorts for the doggie:

20332760741_782a9a8290_b.jpg

20138699178_658fe4ba46_b.jpg

This is a few layers of highlights (and one of shadow) over a Rhinox Hide basecoat - I really like this new colour, it's like a darker Scorched Brown. I think I probably need some washes or glazes to tie things together, plus I need to highlight the face and figure out what to do with the spines.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 2

I was intending to have two colours but couldn't find a good way to blend them together so instead he's more or less the same colour all over:

20360785151_b13794fdc8_b.jpg

The frill is a more muscley pink colour but otherwise the skin is all a continuation of what was on the body. The face is just rough at the moment so that will hopefully get sharper and more interesting.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 2

I finished the doggy, henceforth to be known as Barkley the Flesh Hound:

20226526230_90438e49f6_b.jpg

My always-reliable Klear Kote Flat wasn't, so he's a bit shiny. In some places this might be good but it annoys me on the frill so I'll try again when the weather warms up.

As I had the airbrush out, I also base-coated the armour on the Prosecutor I assembled earlier:

20420765761_c4b21cdd81_b.jpg

20420768721_d8e94988b8_b.jpg

I think this is an absolutely stunning miniature - I'm just scared of breaking it!

Cheers,

Will

• Like 2

Angel guy is coming along - the wings took ages, increased by the time it took to strip one face of one wing and sand down the others after I discovered tiny lumps in the dried paint.

20499637456_fb576b6643_b.jpg

I added some spacey freehand to one of the shoulder pads:

20290038439_f1f9fc4dfa_b.jpg

Not too much left to do - finish some details, highlight and shade the armour a bit more and clean up a few mistakes.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 3

And finished, bar some varnish which can wait until I have the airbrush out:

20399516199_b4a2e3d266_b.jpg

The wings took quite a long time, partly because I started with a very poor coverage paint and after three coats discovered it had bits in (I thought they were bubbles - not so) so had to strip one wing and sand the rest back before re-coating with something better. I managed to get the paint back by adding Liquitex flow aid and a little water, that seems to really help the GW paints which are on the point of drying up. Makes layering easier too!

20586221455_17466b00d4_b.jpg

Still can't get over the way these hang in the air!

20398235108_d01786e738_b.jpg

I have two more - one is basically a dupe of this sculpt, the other has the wings spread and looks most impressive. I don't think they're primed yet but I'm pretty sure I did the clean-up and assembly so I'll have to do them as s pair at some point. Probably back to Chaos for a bit now though.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 6

Thanks, it was fun to do apart from having to strip/sand things. Very difficult to hold the wings as there's no-where to get a pin into, I think for the others I might try and CA the assembled wings to a metal rod and then snap it off when it's time for final assembly.

As it was I held one wing and worked on the other - recipe for rubbing paint off.

I want to broaden my figure painting into something bigger and more realistic - I have a couple of busts now - but the 28mm fantasy stuff keeps drawing me back in.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 2

Thanks Philip, I'm back working on Khorgos Khul now - three painting sessions so far:

20692355768_fbb96837e2_b.jpg

(click for bigger)

I quite like him but there's something not right about the mouth and eyes. It may not be worth pursuing as this will be buried a bit when he has the cape on - the collar is very high.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 5