Dornier Do 17 D(utch) update 17-8-2015

Arniec

Hi Guys,

I will build the Hobbycraft Do-17Z with some different radial engines and will give it a coat of dutch paint.

I started a conversion on the Hobbycraft kit a couple of years ago to make it into a Do-215. I was stuck with the engines and luckely ICM came to the rescue with a new kit. The Do-17 have just the engines removed and the rest is still to be done.

The story behind it is :

The Netherlands wanted to buy the Dornier Do-215 export model, but didn't liked the inline DB-601 engines. Because they wanted to have as much the same as the rest of their fleet to keep a easy maintenance they went for the P&W R1830 Twin Wasp engines with 1200 hp. This was the same engine as they wanted to put in the Douglas DB-8A-3N. That they wanted to purchase from the US. They purchased a 100 Dornier Do-17D's. 50 as a bomber version and 50 with a sollid nose with 1 20 mm cannon and 4 .50's as a heavy fighterbomber. The bombers were deliverd without the engines in the first months of 1939 and the fighter bombers in the spring of 1939. The engines were deliverd from the US also at the start of 1939 and placed on the planes by Fokker. The first bomber was ready in Juni 1939.

Photo's will follow later.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 6

Sounds reasonable. Funny how every nation with an arms industry was supplying everyone else in the years preceding ww2, with many arming their prospective enemies.

If you need any bits from this kit let me know: I went down the same road many years ago, correcting and converting the Hobbycraft 17z...

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234967768-can-the-icm-215-fuselage-be-used-to-correct-hobbycraft-17z/page-1#entry1744223

The offer still stands.

• Like 1

Sounds reasonable. Funny how every nation with an arms industry was supplying everyone else in the years preceding ww2, with many arming their prospective enemies.

If you need any bits from this kit let me know: I went down the same road many years ago, correcting and converting the Hobbycraft 17z...

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234967768-can-the-icm-215-fuselage-be-used-to-correct-hobbycraft-17z/page-1#entry1744223

The offer still stands.

Thanks for the offer, but I already have enough in the box. Luckely I wasn't that far jet. I also have the etch and vac form canopies.

I have already started to build the ICM Do 215. Maybee you can use the tail of the Hobbycraft kit that is much more accurate. Although there is a set from Vector resin I believe for the ICM kit.

Cheers,

Sounds fun.

You do know Dutch Decals did a sheet with markings for a Dutch Do-215?

http://web.ipmsusa3.org/content/decals-do-215b-2-dh-85-fokker-dxxiii-db-7b-pby-5-b-10-ryan-stm-b340

Thanks Philip. I already have the decal sheet and will use it. I haven't put the photo's up jet. Hope to do that on saturday.

Cheers,

Here are the pictures of the box content.

The boxtop
cb83b37c-e4c4-4e93-80df-829d55b23bb3_zps
The content
IMG_2368_zpskgz65sqd.jpg
The decals and options.
IMG_2370_zpshnvguic0.jpgIMG_2371_zpszr1j0cxw.jpgIMG_2372_zps2ize45vl.jpgIMG_2373_zpsj8h4d26m.jpg
I will go definitly with one of the 3 paint camo's!!!! I Always love the look of that. Now I will need to sort out the colours to use.

I will try to convert the Ensign colours to a acrilic paint. Prefurably Gunze.

That is what I will be planning.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 1

Ugh, I remember that box 'art'. Reminds me of that scene in A League of Their Own when they're doing a newsreel of the team and since the best batter is ugly, she's only shown from across the field.

Do you have a plan of attack for the fuselage shape, or it's going to stay that way?

Edited by Bonehammer
  • Like 1

Ugh, I remember that box 'art'. Reminds me of that scene in A League of Their Own when they're doing a newsreel of the team and since the best batter is ugly, she's only shown from across the field.

Do you have a plan of attack for the fuselage shape, or it's going to stay that way?

Yeah the box art isn't very inviting to build on, but before CA came out with their kit this was the only option to go in 1/48.

The shape of this one is good. I have build the Do-17M/P about five years ago and I used the method from this site:

http://www.olddogsplanes.com/olddogsbananafix.htm

It workt quite well.

I have been looking at it and I don't know jet how I will gonna do the engines. I have ro think about it.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec

I have build the Do-17M/P about five years ago and I used the method from this site:

It workt quite well.

Looks more doable than the 'wedge' method which I did - that is quite a way of making life difficult for oneself, let me tell ya.

Yeah the box art isn't very inviting to build on, but before CA came out with their kit this was the only option to go in 1/48.

The shape of this one is good. I have build the Do-17M/P about five years ago and I used the method from this site:

It workt quite well.

I have been looking at it and I don't know jet how I will gonna do the engines. I have ro think about it.

Cheers,

Look like you have given yourself a nice little challenge! These so called simple ones will be the death of me!

Oh and you'll be thrown out of Australia, well Queensland (Queenslanders like myself are often called "banana benders" cause that's all the southern states think that's all we do all day!) if you go around straightening banana's like that!!!! :rofl:

• Like 1

Look like you have given yourself a nice little challenge! These so called simple ones will be the death of me!

Oh and you'll be thrown out of Australia, well Queensland (Queenslanders like myself are often called "banana benders" cause that's all the southern states think that's all we do all day!) if you go around straightening banana's like that!!!! :rofl:

Well we (Dutch) have straighten the cucomber, so why not a plain ey!!!!! Lol :mental:

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 1

Hi Guys,

Not much done on this one lately. I did however found some better engine nacelles that will almost go smouth on the Original engine nacelles from the kit. The new ones are from a old Monogram A-26 Invader I believe. The engines will be swapped with two from a A-20. Because the A-26 ones had R-2800's with 18 cylinders. and I need only 14 Cylinders. Luckely the engines from the A-20 have 14 cylinders.

That is now sorted. Now I need to have some spare time to build it.

Cheers,

• Like 1

Done some work today. Mostly on the engine nacelles. I have managed to get them to fit.

They aren't fixed jet. Need to do some more work on the wings as well. I think I need to make a wheel well.

I will try to put on some pictures tomorrow.

Cheers,

Some pictures of the engines. As you can see I used two engine pods from a A-26 Invader.

before and after removing the original engine.

IMG_2446_zpshyn5lhe9.jpg

With the A-20 engine placed. It was a very tight fit.

IMG_2447_zpskf4dtgaf.jpg

IMG_2448_zpsmwlgciac.jpg

and with the propellor boss placed (from a Ju 88)

IMG_2451_zpsn2rghddy.jpg

and the wing with the marked place where I will need to remove the plastic for the wheel wells.

IMG_2452_zpswtvk34na.jpg

Here are two pictures after some dry fitting.

IMG_2453_zpsixukwei6.jpg

IMG_2454_zpsidrleowv.jpg

That is it for now.

Cheers,

I have been thinking about doing some work on it this weekend. I have this weekend a modelling weekend with a friend and I hope to do some work on the wings.

Yesterday I have been sorted out the paint to use and I have done some mixing for it.

The colours the dutch used look a lot like the old RLM colours from Germany. I am also thinking of using those for this project.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec

• 2 weeks later...