Nice work on the engine and cowling. Good fun watching this one progress in sub-assemblies - keeps an air of mystery about the final outcome :)

Thank you Col. I'm pleased your enjoying it. :)

This is looking great Joe. I like the scheme you've picked and all the work completed so far looks top notch :thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

Cheers Greg. :)

Lovely engine cowling there, very neat work, look forward to more :)

Thank you mirageiv, I hope to post some more before the weekend. :)

Nice build, someone might have pointed this out but the Royal Navy did use the Skyraider, albeit in an AEW role.

Thanks Nomore Shelfspace. Yes, the Royal Navy used the AEW 1 I believe. I did try to put a lot of facts into the backstory. The history of 700 NAS is all fact as far as I know. The US Navy ships were in those places at the given times, and the Harrier trials did take place on the USS Independence as I mentioned. Joe

I've weathered the engine cowling and pylons. I've also made a start on the undercarriage and tanks.

B1A2E49E-EBE2-4E82-A384-0AA17E333A47_zps

The weathered cowling. I've also placed three pylons on the wing. The fuselage pylon, and two wing pylons. One kit, and one Quickboost for comparison.

EC5ABF6A-9554-4BDA-AF8C-BDFC05206BC2_zps

The pylons ready for fitting.

7E1C55CB-A512-4FD8-98AA-57959157B24C_zps

The undercarriage bagged up.

BFA53260-B583-48EE-8870-4C1632B72A08_zps

The fuel tanks.

Thanks for looking. Joe

• Like 3

I wanted to paint the fuselage next. I used various things to get the shape of the curve that I wanted on the rear of the fuselage. I placed them on the enlarged copy of the fuselage until I found the correct size. A mug proved to be the right size. I measured the diameter of the mug, and using a compass cutter, I cut the masking tape to the required shape.

017868D8-CE34-4777-9353-965548354EA8_zps

Mug placed on fuselage side view.

CEF4EF50-B5C9-4722-9335-6E9E7CBCAE54_zps

Fuselage after masking.

9948A98B-2B4E-4CFD-9541-AFFE074E95CC_zps

Painted fuselage.

C95F3D78-5322-4126-9727-8DAF3DEF87D1_zps

Some touching up is required as well as the leading edge on the wings.

Thank you for looking, Joe

• Like 7

Plausible, very plausible.

I like the engine painted up and that colour scheme looks rather convincing!

Good job.

Trevor

Thank you Trevor. I think Royal Navy aircraft always looked good in that scheme, that's why I chose it.

That's looking rather good.

Thank you Radleigh.

Cracking idea for getting that curve in the masking correct. As for the overall scheme... :wub:

Hello Col, thank you. I tried using a compass, but that way was so much easier. Glad you like the colour scheme. :)

That is some wonderful painting there! Can I ask which paints/thinner you used?

Cheers,

David.

Hello David, thank you. The paint is Mr Hobby and Mr Color Leveling Thinners. There's a photo on page one near the start of the paint and thinners.

Thank you all once again gentlemen. Joe

• Like 1

The fuselage paint was given a couple of days to harden, then I applied a wash to bring out the panel lines and to weather the fuselage. I'm undecided at this stage whether to put the exhaust stains down the side of the fuselage. It's very common on American Skyraiders, but when I looked at photos of AEW Skyraiders operated by the Royal Navy, I could see the paint surface was kept clean. I know they were painted Dark Sea Blue and the stain might not be so prominent, but I've seen evidence on US Navy aircraft that shows stains on Dark Sea Blue paint.

700EDD39-BFFC-4B01-BACA-BDED3866530A_zps

Some areas still need cleaning before applying the decals.

FA6E42B4-E65E-451D-9C42-1F365A91C604_zps

F98EE5FF-834C-401F-95C5-857E815F6E9F_zps

AF9F6968-0F6E-4A50-B112-855C21BD4429_zps

Model placed on undercarriage.

The leading edge of the wings have been painted. When these have dried over the next couple of days, I will polish the paint ready for the decals.

Thanks for looking. Joe.

• Like 8

Hi Joe. You're Skyraider looks great in those colours - very striking! :thumbsup:

Thank you Greg. Your Mosquito is also coming on well I noticed. :)

• Like 1

Cracking work Joe. With regard to the exhaust stains, the Skyraider was known to have an oily exhaust and thus a dark stain was usually present on the fuselage as a result. Every so often a spark off the engine would ignite the oil and leave white ash through the black stain. The Royal Navy have always tried to keep their aircraft as clean as possible so the oil had less opportunity to build up on their 'raiders. You can therefore go easy on the stains and weathering should you wish.

• Like 1

If this doesn't win, I don't know what 'quality' and 'hard work' is then, not that I'm neglecting my 21st century super spitfire, but this looks AWESOME :wow::goodjob:

Thank you raptormodeller. :blush: I did pick an easy model to build, It just falls together. It's just a colour and decal change. You on the other hand have put in far more work than I have with your Spitfire. It's looking really good. You've added loads more detail and had a lot of work to get it where it is. Thanks again, Joe

Cracking work Joe. With regard to the exhaust stains, the Skyraider was known to have an oily exhaust and thus a dark stain was usually present on the fuselage as a result. Every so often a spark off the engine would ignite the oil and leave white ash through the black stain. The Royal Navy have always tried to keep their aircraft as clean as possible so the oil had less opportunity to build up on their 'raiders. You can therefore go easy on the stains and weathering should you wish.

Thank you Col, I never knew that. I'm going to try spraying the Flory wash with my airbrush. It works ok with gouache when I spray it. That way if I don't like it or I get it wrong, I can rub it off. Thanks again, Joe.
  • Like 1

Hi Joe,

At last got some time to take a look at your "what if" build. Really impressive! Excellent detail work and superb paint finish, as usual from you.

And the aircraft itself is quite impressive. I've been looking for a good one at 1/72 and I'll probably buy a Hasegawa some time in the future.

Looking forward to seeing it progress!

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Thank you raptormodeller. :blush: I did pick an easy model to build, It just falls together. It's just a colour and decal change. You on the other hand have put in far more work than I have with your Spitfire. It's looking really good. You've added loads more detail and had a lot of work to get it where it is. Thanks again, Joe

Thank you Col, I never knew that. I'm going to try spraying the Flory wash with my airbrush. It works ok with gouache when I spray it. That way if I don't like it or I get it wrong, I can rub it off. Thanks again, Joe.

Wow - didn't even know the FAA had Skyraiders - and I had to look! As per Col, all the pics look really clean, even over what looks like EDSG?

• Like 1

Hi Joe,

At last got some time to take a look at your "what if" build. Really impressive! Excellent detail work and superb paint finish, as usual from you.

And the aircraft itself is quite impressive. I've been looking for a good one at 1/72 and I'll probably buy a Hasegawa some time in the future.

Looking forward to seeing it progress!

Cheers

Jaime

Hi Jaime, thank you. I know your a very busy man. I see your making progress with your builds. Thanks again, Joe

This is a great visualisation, the colours suit the shape really well.

Great modelling too :clap2:

Al

Hello AI, and thank you. I did enjoy your back storyline this Group Build. :)

Wow - didn't even know the FAA had Skyraiders - and I had to look! As per Col, all the pics look really clean, even over what looks like EDSG?

Hello Tim, I believe there is one in the Fleet Air Arm Museum at Yeovilton. I think it's in the reserve collection at the moment. Joe.

I've painted the majority of the parts now. I've changed the rear section of the hook to yellow after noticing it on some WW11 Corsairs. I've got just a few small parts to paint plus the windscreen and canopy. I intend to start applying the decals over the weekend.

9BF02B1C-51FB-465A-8BC9-768053F70A4B_zps

Thank you for looking, Joe

• Like 6

can I ask which Mr Color paint you used for the yellowy lower main area?

Hello Tim, the colour I used was Mr Hobby H74 Sky Duck Egg Green semi- gloss.

• Like 1

Looks great Joe. Can't wait for the next update.

Thank you Greg. :)

I've made a start on the decals. I changed the underwing numbers I intended to use because they would have caused a problem. They would have covered the location holes for the pylons and gone over some raised detail at the rear of the panel. This would have meant gluing the pylons on top of the decal, plus the chance of silvering at the rear.

6208E1DB-1A3B-468C-80A9-468E1F8CD533_zps

I cut out the numbers from the sheet I had photocopied so I could see where I wanted to position the decals before applying the them.

32CF7EFA-699D-45E2-81D2-9AB7404E12E9_zps

Decals in place on underside of wing.

CFF46804-DB05-4557-95C9-8593879B4CAC_zps

Fuselage roundels and nose art.

Hopefully, I will be able to get a few more decals on in the week. If not, I will have to wait until the weekend.

Thank you for looking, Joe.

• Like 8