That looks awesome, will be watching!

Thank you very much Stig.

The scheme is great and a refreshing change from the `blue` I`ve seen in the past.

Thank you tc2324, I hope so, it looks right in my mind's eye.

Using a panel line as a datum, I can take measurements from the 1/48th scale copy to reposition the antennae after I have removed the moulded kit parts from the fuselage.

image.jpg1_zps4r4hisdd.jpg

Thank you for looking, Joe

• Like 1

Hmmmmm... An RN A-1 skyraider; looks like you and me will have some sort of rivalry, a 21st century super-spitfire (GR.13.A) versus the trustworthy and tough skyraider. Who will win te fight for glory? Britmodeller will be back after the break on Discovery channel!

• Like 1

Hmmmmm... An RN A-1 skyraider; looks like you and me will have some sort of rivalry, a 21st century super-spitfire (GR.13.A) versus the trustworthy and tough skyraider. Who will win te fight for glory? Britmodeller will be back after the break on Discovery channel!

Nicely put raptormodeller :)

These are the components for the cockpit, 5 kit parts and a Eduard Zoom set FE296.

image.jpg1_zpskvzisssr.jpg

I'm going to use Gator Grip Thin Blend Glue for Photo Etch. I've not used it before, but I've heard good things about it.

Thanks for looking, Joe

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've not had chance to start the construction yet, but thought I would tape some of the major components together, cut out the markings & stick them in position to get an idea of how the makings would look on the finished model.

image.jpg1_zpszqt0zd5c.jpg

The pirate nose & fuselage code markings.

image.jpg2_zpsehzpfrq7.jpg

The tail markings.

image.jpg3_zpsyk6tfn9m.jpg

The underside markings.

Thank you for looking. Joe

• Like 6

Hey Joe cool idea and nice plan. Its like a marriage of two awesome things: a Skyraider and FAA scheme, with the awesome tamiya kit.

Thank you Colin, and well spotted. I had trouble getting my head round it, but apparently it's the right one. I had been told, but wanted to see it in black and white. This is where I found the thinners information. But I will still try it on a test piece first just in case. Regards, Joe :)

It can work, but its not the right one. This should be akin to using lacquer thinner on Tamiya paints. Also be careful with the levelling thinner. Its purposely designed for brush painting, so it significantly retards the drying time of paint. I'm not sure what the effect, if any, it will have on the aqueous line... but it will remain wet for quite some time. If you're using a brush... no worries. Arniec's suggestion to use X-20 is a good one, though it too has some glycol to slightly retard the drying process. From what I've seen, I think the Gunze's Aqueous thinner also seems to have some glycol in it as well. I should note that some people swear by the aqueous line, moreso than any other paint. They import in large quantities from Hong Kong, because they are no longer commercially available in North America. I've used it a couple of times and its very good, just that the lacquer carrier/acrylic Mr. Color line is stocked locally and I'd rather just buy it that way.

• Like 1

Hey Joe cool idea and nice plan. Its like a marriage of two awesome things: a Skyraider and FAA scheme, with the awesome tamiya kit.

It can work, but its not the right one. This should be akin to using lacquer thinner on Tamiya paints. Also be careful with the levelling thinner. Its purposely designed for brush painting, so it significantly retards the drying time of paint. I'm not sure what the effect, if any, it will have on the aqueous line... but it will remain wet for quite some time. If you're using a brush... no worries. Arniec's suggestion to use X-20 is a good one, though it too has some glycol to slightly retard the drying process. From what I've seen, I think the Gunze's Aqueous thinner also seems to have some glycol in it as well. I should note that some people swear by the aqueous line, moreso than any other paint. They import in large quantities from Hong Kong, because they are no longer commercially available in North America. I've used it a couple of times and its very good, just that the lacquer carrier/acrylic Mr. Color line is stocked locally and I'd rather just buy it that way.

Thank you Neu, I'll try it on a test piece first before I spray the model with it. Joe

• 3 weeks later...

Hello gentlemen, just a quick update to show I'm taking this build seriously. I've painted the cockpit tub and hope to start adding some of the etched parts in the next couple of days. On the Tamiya Skyraider, the undercarriage doors and bays are in one part (see photo). These are fitted to the lower section of the wing before the top section is glued in place. This gives a strong connection for the doors, but can be a bit awkward when it comes to masking and painting. To make it easier, I will paint the doors white on the inside, and sky on the outside before attaching them to the lower wing, which will also be fully painted sky. I will have to touch up the leading edge after gluing them together, but this should be easier than masking them after painting. I will post some photos of this before the weekend.

image.jpg1_zpsgvs9mbsr.jpg

Thank you for looking, Joe.

• Like 1

The undercarriage doors have been painted and weathered with a Flory dark wash. I've not used this type of wash before, and I thought it was excellent. I normally use gouache, but Flory was easier to clean off. The lower wing has also been painted to minimise masking. The next step will be to fit the doors and glue the upper wing and lower wing sections together. I fitted the main etch parts to the cockpit. I had to scrape away the plastic in some places to accommodate the etch part due to its thickness. I also had to remove about 3mm from the floor plate (painted green) for the instrument panel bulkhead to fit. The etch parts were glued in position with Gator glue. Again, I've not used this, but it worked very well.

image.jpg1_zpsofxzldbb.jpg

Undercarriage doors and lower wing section.

image.jpg2_zpsxjvoewok.jpg

Side consoles and cockpit tub.

image.jpg3_zpspwatiaa4.jpg

Cockpit tub

image.jpg4_zpsvukh8gxf.jpg

Instrument panel.

The cockpit tub is held together with tape to check the fit between the fuselage. The seat has not been glued in place and requires the harness to be added.

• Like 6

nice!

Chompy chomp (thank you) raptormodeller. Joe

Looking good Joe :thumbsup:

Thank you Col. I've glued the doors in place. I'll post a photo when I've had chance to take one. I've also sprayed the Extra Dark Sea Grey on the top section of the wings. I'll glue the two halves together over the weekend. Joe. :)

I like the look of this!

Trevor

Thank you Trevor.

Here are some photos of the wings with the doors glued in place.

image.jpg2_zpseknstycu.jpg

Undercarriage doors glued in place.

image.jpg1_zps7cdh9f5v.jpg

Lower wing painted and weathered with Flory Black Wash. The upper wing will need another coat of paint.

image.jpg3_zpszc1wedlz.jpg

The horizontal stabilisers. One plain paint, and the other weathered for comparison.

Thank you for looking,Joe

• Like 2

Hello gentlemen. I've glued the wing sections together. The leading edge and top surface will be painted Dark Sea Grey. The cockpit tub has also been glued together and is waiting for the seat to be fitted.

image.jpg1_zpssihvahds.jpg

Wing sections glued together.

image.jpg2_zpsiu1oiidv.jpg

Cockpit detail painted.

image.jpg3_zpslcar3jqv.jpg

Tub waiting for the seat to be added.

• Like 6

Nice work in the 'pit :thumbsup:

Thank you Col.

The paint came off the preprinted seatbelt that was supplied with the Zoom set. Instead, I've used a WW11 USAF seatbelt. Not very accurate, but I'm happy enough with the finish. After a blow over with Matt Varnish, I glued the seat in place. The next step will be to glue the fuselage halves together which I hope to do over the next couple of days.

image.jpg3_zpsnevmxk3o.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsoh1wvy8n.jpg

image.jpg1_zpsdct6wjjl.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I've glued the fuselage halves together with the cockpit tub inside. I've also painted the fuselage Sky and dry fitted the wings to get some idea of how the colour sceme looks. The next stage will be to mask and paint the Extra Dark Sea Grey on the wings and fuselage.

91B5283C-B2D4-4ED8-95AA-5A0DCB994D35_zps

I used a tiny amount of filler along the fuselage spine.

• Like 5

I've started to paint some of the smaller parts. The tail hook, and pylons are show here.

49DB8678-E2D3-4336-9A91-518807079CD1_zps

The Quickboost pylons have nice detail. I've included one of the kit pylons in the photo for comparison.

Thanks for looking, Joe.

• Like 5

Tidy painting on the hook :goodjob: Those pylons look well detailed and a worthwhile upgrade over the kit parts.

Hi Col, thank you. The pylons are very good. All the location pins are at the same pitch, unlike on the kit. Not a problem. I will remove the rear pin and just use the front pin to keep them in line.

I've painted the engine and cowling.

4CD31B2F-B421-41C1-A815-4EEBE1E8EACB_zps

The engine was painted silver, then given a Flory Black Wash.

4E4D39A6-AAC1-4098-A681-BA51D0C27D9D_zps

Front view

E04A4EBB-07FA-48EC-969B-002E9A3113C8_zps

The completed cowling with engine ready for a Flory wash and decals.

Thank you for looking. Joe

• Like 4

Nice work on the engine and cowling. Good fun watching this one progress in sub-assemblies - keeps an air of mystery about the final outcome :)

• Like 1