Tamiya 1/35 PBR

You know Martin I think you might be right.

I originally thought of this and dismissed it, I reckon I might be trying to over complicate things.

I will give it a try as soon as I get a chance

You've been a bit quiet of late Martin, I hope all is well with you. Missing your updates!

Cheers Kev

A really bad bout of fibromyalgia has all but put a stop to modelling for a bit. All I have managed to do is make a very few tiny parts for my Tracker. The pain will recede to normal levels sooner or later but trying to produce work of any quality while this is going on is non-starter really. All I can do at the moment is to lurk a round BM and annoy people! :evil_laugh: Still, social services are coming round on Thursday to fit a load of disabled equipment which should make life a bit easier, a new drug has been added to my medication as well which I am hoping will help things along as well.

Martin

Kev this may be a bit late but have you tried using Mr Surfacer 500 you paint it on to the thickness you want then with an old short stiff hairy stick stipple at it until you see it start to dry only do a small area at a time and if it looks to be to high you can sand it down I have used this before on 1/35 scale Sherman tanks to get the rough cast texture on the turret and transmission casing and a friend of mine at my local model club used this on a Merkeva tank for the none slip areas.

Beefy

• Like 1

Round two of the non-skid deck

P1080168%20Copy_zpsyt2nc8to.jpg

1200 wet & dry

P1080163%20Copy_zpsqx5zhuyf.jpg

600 w&d

P1080164%20Copy_zps9pud9gv8.jpg

400 w&d

P1080165%20Copy_zpsywqs07y3.jpg

240 pumice powder. Applied over un diluted PVA (found it easier to control coverage) Power applied and wiped off with razor blade resting on masking tape each side

P1080166%20Copy_zpscxautq0y.jpg

Mr surfaceer 1000. Applied wiped as above and stippled

P1080167%20Copy_zpsorohg91v.jpg

You guys got any thoughts. I'm thinking 600grit or 240 pumice, Which will probably mean the wet & dry based on ease of application

Thanks for looking in

Kev

• Like 3

Kev think I would go with the 240 pumice it looks good and you could probably control it better when applying it to some of the more uneven surface and around the raised details

If you go for the wet & dry might give you a lot more work to do but then again I am a bit lazy at times :sleep_1::winkgrin:

Keith

• Like 2

Thank you guys for your thoughts and comments, much appreciated

Well after the testing it was time to do some modelling......

After mucking about with templates and trying to sand the back of wet & dry paper to get it thinner ..................... :banghead::banghead:

I thought I'd give the pumice powder a go

Showing the masking and some areas plastered

P1080171%20Copy_zpsq4prjril.jpg

P1080174%20Copy_zpswln3plu1.jpg

P1080178%20Copy_zps6mmd3vvv.jpg

P1080179%20Copy_zps8mnbdh2a.jpg

P1080181%20Copy_zpsfguwockr.jpg

At first I was a bit disappointed with the uneven coverage but when painted it looks like wear & tear.

Any of you guys got any thoughts or comments

Thanks for stopping by

• Like 6

Yes definitely the worn and used look goes with this type of boat

would look like it had that just out of the shop look otherwise I think.

Another cracking tip for the book :book:

Beefy

• Like 1

I think I would have to see some paint on it before I could give an honest opinion. Would the panels have worn that smooth?

Martin

• Like 2

It looks good. In "reality" it wouldn't wear down that much but I wouldn't worry too much seeing as we all live in "Never Never Land" here Kev.

It will also fade into the background when you start fitting the shields, deck clutter and figures so I would take the chance and leave it.

Just my :2c::winkgrin:

• Like 1

Thanks for all your comments guys :thumbsup2:

I was concerned that some of you thought it wasn't painted, so I've taken some pics in better light with the armoured shields in place.

P1080182%20Copy_zps3j6owdgd.jpg

P1080183%20Copy_zpsjvm68fkf.jpg

P1080184%20Copy_zpsimekyh3e.jpg

Martin, Julian and Dan.

In an ideal world I probably wouldn't have portrayed so much wear, that's down to my ineptitude.

Defending my decision to leave it I will point out the following for those not in the know.

The boats were in use 24/7 day & night. Two boats three crews.

The two central deck lockers were ammunition lockers plus the area between shields would have been a natural path,

These boats were subject to the monsoon for 3/4 months at a time if you think it rains in the UK trust me you really have no idea.

I rest my case for the defence m'lord :bobby::whistle:

Before some one else puts it on

:crap:

Right I'm going back to my OOB build :winkgrin:

See you soon

Kev

• Like 7

I am not an expert on this boat, modelling or anything for that matter. What I do know is that every day I encounter man-made objects that have great amounts of wear and tear on them. To the point where you think human interaction could not wear certain materials to that degree. Even if this degree of wear and tear is not possible this particular interpretation seems quite plausible to me and the end result certainly would be consistent with Kevs reference to his knowledge of how this boat was used. I'm not quite at you guys skill level, but appreciate your attention to replicating details.

• Like 1

Thanks for all your comments guys :thumbsup2:

I was concerned that some of you thought it wasn't painted, so I've taken some pics in better light with the armoured shields in place.

P1080182%20Copy_zps3j6owdgd.jpg

P1080183%20Copy_zpsjvm68fkf.jpg

P1080184%20Copy_zpsimekyh3e.jpg

Martin, Julian and Dan.

In an ideal world I probably wouldn't have portrayed so much wear, that's down to my ineptitude.

Defending my decision to leave it I will point out the following for those not in the know.

The boats were in use 24/7 day & night. Two boats three crews.

The two central deck lockers were ammunition lockers plus the area between shields would have been a natural path,

These boats were subject to the monsoon for 3/4 months at a time if you think it rains in the UK trust me you really have no idea.

I rest my case for the defence m'lord :bobby::whistle:

Before some one else puts it on

:crap:

Right I'm going back to my OOB build :winkgrin:

See you soon

Kev

Don't get your panties all bunched up. It looks great ! See what a difference adding the shields makes?

:winkgrin:

With the armoured shields in place, it gives the panels a bit more perspective and now I really can't decide! I think that as it is your model you have to decide whether you like the panels, if the answer is yes then you have to keep them, if you are unsure then they need to be re-done as you will never be happy with the model. For what its worth, that's the way I approach these conundrums.

Sorry, that's a rather long winded way of sitting on the fence!

Martin

• Like 1