Martin B-51G Panther "Tropic Moon III" wt Pave Gat - Finished

thanks guys, I'm have more fun with this one than expected, plus it seems to be just falling together!

Have rebuilt the Pave-Gat gun as I wasn't that happy with it. Plus the engines are now fitted, the weapons bay has been opened up to fit the Pave-Gat system, and I've finally got the positioning sorted out for the cockpit. Oh and I have completely changed the framework on the main canopy!

I think this whole idea of the B-51 as a Vietnam whif is a great idea! Great work on it! Now you just need a Skyshark in SEA camouflage to put next to it.

Regards,

Jason

P.S. Does anyone else think that doing a Douglas Skypirate as a Vietnam War aircraft is crazy? Yes, me too - I may just do it.

I think this whole idea of the B-51 as a Vietnam whif is a great idea! Great work on it! Now you just need a Skyshark in SEA camouflage to put next to it.

Regards,

Jason

P.S. Does anyone else think that doing a Douglas Skypirate as a Vietnam War aircraft is crazy? Yes, me too - I may just do it.

:hmmm: hmmm............. well.................. :whistle:

I do happen to have one sitting in a box half completed :blush:, but I just keep getting distracted by other projects. It just needs the canopy sorted out, I fitted a larger canopy/cockpit to it, that's the last of the mode work required on it. It was/is going to be done up in RAAF SEA colour scheme, and yes I had planned it to eventually sit along side the Panther.

That whole era of aviation during the Vietnam period really interests me, that along with 50's & 60's prototypes. So to progress the prototype airframe into a full production and late model type opens up a whole world of interesting aircraft types! Now whether I can ever get around to completing some of them is another thing....but I may give it a little push every now and again.

oh here is the link to the Skyshark.....please fell free to hassle me into completing it!! :whip:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234965489-minor-update-0710-douglas-a2d-3-skyshark-close-air-support-raaf-vietnam-1967/

• Like 1

Well lots more progress has been made though not too much to show, a lot of it involved sorting out final positioning of things, plus I rebuilt the Pave-Gat!

I spent quite a lot of time trying to figure out how the new cockpit was going to fit and how the canopy would fit.

So once the general position of the cockpit was worked out cuts were made for where it was going to sit, I didn’t need to change these. The height was the issue, as I wanted the canopy to be quite low and not appear to have been “stick on”!! I was lucky in still having two bulkheads still in place, so these were shortened as required until the cockpit sat just right. (and yes the photos were taken after everything had been done....

DSCF2579_zpsem9diys5.jpg

The canopy for sometime had worried me as I like the look of it but the frame profile was all wrong, it had quite a pronounced curve on it (to match the B-57’s nose profile).

DSCF2497_zpsbbxfgu4y.jpg

But I didn’t need or want this, I wanted an almost straight frame. So out with the scalpel and nail-polishing file and off to work we went (plus a quick dip in some oven-cleaner to remove paint). I now have a canopy free of framework and pretty clear and scratch free. Just needs a quick going over with 12000-grit micro-fibre, polish, and a dip on acrylic floor polish and she’s done. I can now have the framework I need to suit the fuselage profile.

DSCF2580_zpsk861rg4t.jpg

DSCF2581_zpsfchwsbex.jpg

Ok the engines were fitted next, they went on trouble free, though I did use lots of thin CA glue and accelerator. This made the join cleaning up process a breeze with very little filler required.

DSCF2576_zpscpkeesji.jpg

DSCF2577_zps6u9toglj.jpg

Next was the cut-out for the Pave-Gat, I probably should have done this before I fitted the engines as it would have made the process a bit easier, but…… I faired off the rear section just so it didn’t quite act like a brick. The gun platform is fixed, so this is a permanent modification, the rear section of the bomb bay is now an additional fuel tank.

DSCF2578_zpssytcjtra.jpg

Ok the Pave-Gat itself, as mentioned I was quite happy with the look of it after reviewing the drawings and photo. So I pulled it all apart and gave it proper 2 axis movement, as it should have had. It looks much better now and a bit closer to the actual unit. The initial coat of paint looks a bit sad but it’s just an undercoat.

DSCF2583_zpsbc9nglzq.jpg

It does look pretty cool once fitted but there is one issue! Unless the aircraft is really moving quick there is a chance that ejected shells could hit and damage the port engine, so an additional strengthening plate has been added to that engine. Good old aussie engineering at work!

DSCF2586_zpsi6omjvcy.jpg

DSCF2585_zpspbantstw.jpg

The bodywork is now pretty well completed, I just need to finish painting the cockpit and fit. The work required to profile and fit the canopy is quite minor compared to what has been done! The wings will be next, they just need to fit smoothly, no filling required, because the wings or the real ones could vary their incidences. The tail will be the last piece to be fitted, as that would be the first piece I’d knock off!! Plus I have started painting up undercarriage and engine bits.

Gosh at this rate I’ll be finished soon, then what would I do!

• Like 7

You can Always start a F-4 Phantom what if. :evil_laugh::bleh::fool:

Nice work on the model. Can't wait to see it painted. O, that reminds me to get started myself. :doh::doh::doh:

Cheers,

at the rate you're going you may as well do an Ar-234 P5 as well! The bits are in the mail so you should have them the following week....plenty of time for WhatIf III! :D

• Like 1

Thanxs Rich. Can't wait to see them on my doorsteps.

I know this becomes of toppic, but I have already pulled 2 Ar-234's out of the stash this morning(I still have 3 more left in the stash).

I have got a B/Nightfighter and a C3 bomber version. I am kind of thinking to do the C version with some left over BMW 003 engines with rocket assist from the swept wing conversion or the Original engines with extra large fueltanks.

Decisions decisions!!!

Cheers,

P.S. the B/N is for a conversion with the swept wings and will have the Antares fighter nose as well. There will be 2 Jumo 004 engines on it or the double pack BMW engines. So the left over back office will be used in the P5.

Edited by Arniec

That is coming together rather nicely, Rich! And yes, you do need to get back to that Skyshark - you've already done a lot of work on it and it would look brilliant next to this bird.

Regards,

Jason

P.S. It was that picture of the Vietnam War Skyshark on your Skyshark WIP that got my fevered mind thinking about a Skypirate in SEA camouflage. With about 50 underwing racks.

• Like 1

That is coming together rather nicely, Rich! And yes, you do need to get back to that Skyshark - you've already done a lot of work on it and it would look brilliant next to this bird.

Regards,

Jason

P.S. It was that picture of the Vietnam War Skyshark on your Skyshark WIP that got my fevered mind thinking about a Skypirate in SEA camouflage. With about 50 underwing racks.

Don't worry I have been doing a little bit of that project as well!

Well just a quick update as I haven’t had a lot of build time the past couple of days.

So I finally completed painting the cockpit, it actually doesn’t look to bad, the quality of the resin cockpit wasn’t up to Aries or likes standards.

DSCF2588_zpse8sxl2pc.jpg

With this done I and fitted I could now concentrate on the cockpits fit, which it did quite nicely.

DSCF2590_zpsw85mn9il.jpg

Then plastic sheet was added to the underside of the cockpit, this will allow me to make most of this new work out of plastic.

DSCF2591_zpsq4uyxfvh.jpg

Next the correct position of the front of the cockpit was set again with plastic rod this time. Plus the rear section of the cockpit was filled in with some sheet to regain it’s original shape. In some ways it would have been nicer to have fitted the cockpit first before closing up the fuselage rather than the other way around as I did, less of the original fuselage would have had to have been removed! Anyway!

DSCF2597_zpsiopoci1r.jpg

DSCF2596_zpscivrxuaf.jpg

Another drop tank was sacrificed for the rear section of the canopy.

I am now very happy with the shape of the new canopy, so now it’s just a case of filling in the gaps with plastic sheet of rod and hopefully just a wee amount of filler. I am half tempted to vacform (or slam mould) a new canopy... will have to think about that one.

DSCF2595_zps0rtvhnhb.jpg

DSCF2594_zpsjloebhcc.jpg

The main wheels are pretty crap, even painting them didn’t help. So a trip to the spares box and a set of 1/48th P-51 wheels look like they maybe the answer.

DSCF2592_zps2ujmkbej.jpg

DSCF2593_zpsdefog2cc.jpg

Unfortunately I only have a pair...so a quick a quick casting job (why has it taken me so long to discover or at least try it!!) and I now have another set, plus additional pylons I need and the missing half of a LGB I needed as well!

DSCF2598_zpsv6lesbfg.jpg

Well unfortunately work will start to slow down a bit of this build as I have to start working for a living again...sort of! But I can actually see the end insight already on this project, which is quite amazing!

• Like 7

That is some nice progress you have made. I can see that your moulding work is already better than mine. I now know where to sent my originals to to get them casted. :winkgrin:

Cheers,

That is some nice progress you have made. I can see that your moulding work is already better than mine. I now know where to sent my originals to to get them casted. :winkgrin:

Cheers,

:o) I have found out a couple of tricks, first I tap the mould when the silicon is first poured in to help get rid of the bubbles, didn't do that with the first batch.

Then use the thinnest resin you can get and tap that to when first poured in. The stuff I use is set hard in 20 mins so I have to be really quick with it!!! The pylons have a couple of issues so imY re-pour them, even so it was ugh quicker than making them from scratch!

• Like 1

Just a quick update tonight, did a little bit of work on her and decided I needed more work!!

First up started tiding up the canopy, have decided to stick with the current one and not make another….well for the moment! With the tape covering the “glass” bits it now has the look I am after. Just need to spend a bit more time on the rear cowling to get the shape right, but this task is nearly done.

DSCF2612_zpskvqjdnqe.jpg

So really it’s just the wings and tail to go on till painting time!!!

Arrr the wings…….This was going to be an easy bit until started to do some test fitting and positioning, or to find the port wing sat about 5mm lower than the starboard one!! So it would need to be moved up so they would be even. About now I started to think more about the wings and their size. The wing loading on this aircraft was really high, around 102 lb/ft2 (495 kg/m2) about the same as an F-104 and a lot more than a Eurofighter Typhoon! I want to drop this a bit and give her a bit more of an evolved look.

Plus being Australian it can’t quite be normal, we just love to modify things…….so time to add a big wing to her (well it worked on the F/RF-111C!). So a little bit more fuel, lower take-off speeds, plus she needs to have a smoother ride at medium altitudes for precision bombing and the Pave-Gat! So a wing job it is!

I did a rough drawing of what I’m after, longer tip and a small increase at the wing root for stage 1, stage 2 is to increase it half as much again. Will have to see how it looks after the first stage to see if I go any further.

DSCF2622_zpssl61rd6l.jpg

It’ll look something like this.

DSCF2615_zpswbp9wwef.jpg

So new wing root extensions added first, these will match two pieces a plastic strip I’ll add the fuselage so I can get a better bond with the fuselage (the two strips on the fuselage will be tired together with plastic rod through the fuselage, all will make sense in a later update).

DSCF2613_zpspiuafmfe.jpg

Next a quick check where the tips have to come off.

DSCF2614_zpsikdl96fr.jpg

Then off with yee tips with yea!!!!

DSCF2616_zpsf3giqvxk.jpg

A wee bit of plastic to help give me profile.

DSCF2617_zpsxu5o4ub5.jpg

A wee bit of laminating which will make the shaping process a bit easier and require less filler!

DSCF2618_zpsxdbwtz8t.jpg

Now that looks better, just need to wait for the glue to harden.

DSCF2619_zpshypu2dhm.jpg

….and a trial fit to see if it will look any good!

DSCF2621_zpsq5nal7mk.jpg

DSCF2620_zpsbal4uubl.jpg

That does look amazing, going from something that looked a bit odd and stumpy, to something that has a real modern look to it!! We aussies know how to make things look good!!

Now what else can I modify……….

• Like 6

Great work sofar. keep up the good work.

Just like Col. said, It becomes cooler with every update. Luckely you don't live near Telford. You would give me a tough competition at that show. :bounce::bounce:

Cheers,

• Like 1

Great work sofar. keep up the good work.

Just like Col. said, It becomes cooler with every update. Luckely you don't live near Telford. You would give me a tough competition at that show. :bounce::bounce:

Cheers,

Not if I have another day like today...but it would be nice to show it, the Arado and the Heinkel off in the flesh!

Today’s update will be called one-step forward and 2-3 steps back!!! :wall:

Ok the good stuff…

The wings are pretty well done, just a couple of spots to tidy up and they can go on. So to get to here…

From the last update, the tips were given a good sanding to get their profile right. Laminating with plastic sheet was certainly the way to go as it made this process so much easier.

DSCF2623_zpsr0wyx0eb.jpg

Next some filler in the gaps and around the original wing/new wing joint. There are some noticeable hollows in the resin towards the tip, think it was a result of where the tip gear is. Anyway after a good sanding again it starts to look very nice.

DSCF2624_zpserwwasxl.jpg

Ends were fitted to the wing root ends and this section also cleaned up and profiled, This is a much later photo as I forgot to take one while doing this!

DSCF2636_zps6qcun2ts.jpg

Next up the flap fairings needed to be fitted….there should and use to be 6 of them, in three different sizes! But some how I have managed to loose the 4 smaller ones….knowing my luck they’ll show up after I have finished it. So I had to make up some new ones, one sanded, one not.

DSCF2628_zpshchteaaw.jpg

Now she’s all sweet, a final lite rubdown and done.

DSCF2633_zpsauhpvpuz.jpg

Ok the tail, it still shared a similar outline to the old wings. I had thought of completely redoing the tips but as it was complete and pretty well finished I decided to cheat a bit, so out with the big sanding stick. The tips were squared off, then it was given a smoother leading edge curve, while the trailing edge was slightly reduced. A subtle change but it matches the wings a little more closely now.

DSCF2630_zpsmudmialx.jpg

So with the wings and tail pretty well done as mentioned……at this stage I was getting ready to fit the wings, but things started to go down hill at this stage!

Now the backward steps, I’ll go from no so bad to crap!

Ok I had some plastic strip cut to the profile of the wing and was going to fit it to the fuselage first with CA glue and pinned with plastic rod through the fuselage. Then with pre-cut out holes the wing I would have a nice plastic to plastic join for them…..that was the plan.

During the test fitting stages it turns out the port wing is 5mm lower than the starboard one! No drama I just had to ensure that my alignment holes were correct. This all went together perfectly, the joins were good and everything was even. Then during some more test fitting I notice that the wings were completely level with the fuselage! They had the correct droop 6o anhedral but their incidence was nearly dead level 0o, which is not right. They should have some while on the ground, even in flight they still have some. So the original alignment holes on the RHS were in correct (maybe the LHS ones were correct…I don’t want to think about that!!!) So all my lovely work was in vain and now I had to remove the ones I had glued on with CA glue!! So after much cursing they’re fixed, not as clean and tidy as before, but at least they are where they should be!!

DSCF2629_zpsxhailuwu.jpg

Ok now to the crap………

I had been finishing the final shaping of the canopy surrounds and had a quick peek under the tape just to check how things were inside (I had head something rattling inside. To my shock and horror the canopy had lots of hairline cracks in it along with half a ton of dust! There was nothing to it but to remove the canopy, which did little damage to the surrounding area. Looking closely at the canopy you could see lots and lots of small cracks. What to do, well there was some cursing and the dust bunnies probably learnt few words they didn’t know before today! But it’s really not a biggie, just more work I didn’t want to do, but the canopy wasn’t the best to start with so I should have figured something like this may happen.!

Polishing and dipping in floor polish didn’t help. I tried the smash mould a new one but just couldn’t get it right, and I have managed to put a small dent in it now!

DSCF2631_zps9zz9pqny.jpg

So after some searching Falcon VacForm has come to the rescue, they do a canopy set which includes a canopy for the B-57. Worse case I may just have to buy another B-57 kit and use its canopy! Though they would look nice together!!!

In the mean time I will redo the canopy frames, which should be easier now that I have positions to work from.

DSCF2634_zps64js3efh.jpg

I have a semi-reasonable canopy I made that might work (have another cunning plan), as I think I will leave the canopy open now. So for this I will have to make a custom frame up…..will just have to see how time and motivation goes.

DSCF2635_zps7xhxhxcw.jpg

If I hadn’t had the canopy issues that wings and tail would have been on now….but why would we want to make life so easy for us!

Think I'll play with the Arado tomorrow!

• Like 4

I had pushed this one aside for a while I wait for the new canopy to arrive (still haven’t decided if I’ll buy a B-57 as well). But while I was waiting for bits on the Arado to dry I did a little bit more on it.

I finished off the wings, they’ve had their final rub down and I’ve managed to get a nice smooth finish on them, which is great.

So with that done I couldn’t help myself and decided to fit them! I will start by saying the logical way would have been to fit these before fitting the engines (a big hint to anyone building one of these!!!). This would have made life sooooooooo much easier, but because I was working with a plastic-to-plastic join it hasn’t been that difficult.

The biggest job was getting the anhedral right, which wasn’t that easy! I made up a jig with balsa and locked down the fuselage, then after 40 minutes of measuring and fiddling I was set to glue them. With the wings in place I initially used thin liquid glue to join them. There were some gaps (Anigrand has the original wing angle wrong at closer to 10o rather than the correct 6o, it doesn’t sound much but with the extended wings there is a big difference!) so into the gaps went some CA glue, this just locked everything in place. The remaining gaps, all under wing luckily, were filled with plastic strip.

The end result was very little sanding was needed to get some nice top joins, the lower ones will be nicely hidden by the engines and won’t normally be seen, but they too will clean up nicely. Not much filler was required either.

DSCF2677_zps6lrsuubj.jpg

DSCF2678_zpso9zors9w.jpg

DSCF2679_zpsnsmn6bot.jpg

those are terrible files marks! Not sure how they got there, but they're gone now!

Next up while the wings were drying, the Arado was still drying and the Skyshark was…… just sitting there, I had a look at the tail!

The lower section of the rudder and base of the tail had a curved trailing edge to it, this just didn’t look right when compared to the more squared off tips on the new wing and elevators. I wanted this now to be more squared as well, so out with the sanding board.

DSCF2491_zps9gh7rc43.jpg

This now has a much more squared off look, which matches the rest of the plane.

DSCF2680_zpsmficm2zp.jpg

One other thing is with the tail on, the elevators tilts upwards, from the nose, where they should be inline with the horizontal axis of the plane. The whole tail needs to be tilted up slightly, once done it looks more natural. I may have to adjust that trailing edge of the rudder to make it square or I may just leave it with a slight slant.

DSCF2681_zpslvz8y7th.jpg

I was struggling to get a photo that showed what I meant clearly

DSCF2685_zpsjzvnut1z.jpg

That new section though will make a perfect spot radar-warning receiver!

There is actually not a lot left to do on this at all now, once the replacement canopy arrives, all should progress very quickly to the painting stage!

• Like 6

Ok just a minor update today.

I have fitted the tail and completed the modification to it! Just needs the usual final tidy up and she’s done!

As I mentioned previously I didn’t quite like the look of the tail or how it sat, I think it needed to sit up a bit more at the back, so that’s what I did.

The tail and body were drilled in two places and plastic rod was used to get the tail in line with the centre axis of the fuselage plus to lift it up a bit, plus give it strength.Next the gap was filled with green putty, I just couldn’t be bothered yesterday with filling the gap with plastic card.

DSCF2700_zpsenvoif5t.jpg

DSCF2701_zpsrecowbsd.jpg

After curing over night it was given a good sanding back and some basic profiling of the tail as well. Plus I added a small bit of card so as I could get a nice sharp trailing edge. Now the fine filler was added.

DSCF2702_zps7okfdmio.jpg

You can clearly see what was required to fill the hollow in the fuselage behind intake #2!!

DSCF2703_zpsakh5r2gt.jpg

Once this filler had cured everything was given a good sanding back and the tail was finally profiled to shape.

DSCF2733_zpssa06nadr.jpg

Looks pretty good now, though I don’t like the bump on the top of the tail anymore so that will go, to be replaced by a rearwards facing radome below the rudder, and above the brake chute door, which needs to be added!

DSCF2734_zpsgz4s0oj3.jpg

DSCF2735_zps7smoatmh.jpg

DSCF2736_zpsjvrlqksq.jpg

I think it looks much better now and suits the new lines of the aircraft. As I mentioned it’s pretty well complete now just sand final touching up and the tails complete, actually the same can be said of everything else. It’s almost to the stage that I could start painting now. No more modifications as I run the risk of breaking something…notably the wing tips!

• Like 3

Ok this is really a small update as I haven’t had much modelling time……work it interfering again!!

The vacform canopy hasn’t arrived yet, but I have decided to buy a B-51G as well, the canopy from this will be used for the build and the vacform one used on it.

I fitted a new radome to the base of the tail as well as removing the hump I added to the top of the tail, this looks much better in my opinion.

DSCF2742_zpsacomdbf5.jpg

The whole thing was given a coat of acrylic Lt Grey, this was a chance to look at the completed plane. As well The main gear was temporarily fitted. Fitting the gear will be fun, especially to get it even and level!

It has such a good look to it, completely different to the squat look the B-51 has.

DSCF2743_zps3petwaot.jpg

DSCF2744_zpsjgfoetbz.jpg

DSCF2741_zpsarkvr8qd.jpg

DSCF2740_zpst6veksvc.jpg

DSCF2739_zps7cq2icgh.jpg

DSCF2746_zpsgvg95evr.jpg

I’m glad to have finished all the main work, just the final tiding up of joins and she will be ready for painting….once the canopy is fitted!

• Like 6