TSR2 Whiffery by Hockeyboy. Back story added, The Phoenix Rises. FINISHED

You can't have a WHIF without a TSR2.
Sorry no kit bashing involved with this, but I will be using lots of spares from the box to build a Wild Weasel variant. The aim is to have a rotary bomb bay, alarms on the wings, ECM & chaff pods on the spine and so on. Also a new cammo wrap, possible to match the current MTP or a desert style with dark earth, mid stone.
Oh yes and all in smashing 1/144.

Thanks for looking, pictures to follow.

Edited by Hockeyboy76
  • Like 7

As promised some photos,

The kit, the spares collected for the build & a selection of paints.

IMG_1245_zpsszvaz9mk.jpg

Some reading material & where the spine countermeasures came from

IMG_1246_zpsew14ypw8.jpg

And finally my previous Pit Road 1/144 TSR2. as Col said more should have been instead of whif.

IMG_0127_zps9dbcddbe.jpg

• Like 7

Right, back story.

In 1965 TSR2 was scrapped.......... Or that's what they want you to believe.

Some of the airframes at Boscombe Down were hidden and over time converted into a highly classified Wild Weasel variant. Taking advantage of Stealth Technology, towed decoys and new cammo these TSR2s have remained in service but completely classified & hidden from public view.

In 1991 during the first gulf war, the RAF had a few operating out of Cyprus only flying during the dark hours. The noise of their take offs & landings being explained away as the American U2 which is as we all know, is definitely not based or flying from Akrotiri.

Edited by Hockeyboy76
  • Like 6

So first day of build almost over. Wing pylon holes drilled out & wings joined. Been working out how to fit the weapons in the bomb bay & also toying with the idea of twin tails at a jointey angle.

I did mention that they had been converted at Boscombe Down and the title does say TSR2 Wiffery

• Like 1

Today's progress.

Aircrew, seats & cockpit painted. Top & bottom fuses joined & now having decided on a twin tail the upper airbrakes have been filled & sanded.

Pics 2mrw.

As promised a little photo update,

Fuse glued together along with wings

IMG_1263_zpseqcbv509.jpg

Little bit of the bomb bay detail, still work in progress

IMG_1262_zpsh9skff7h.jpg

Cockpit detail

IMG_1265_zpsfki30bok.jpg

Linescan fitted

IMG_1267_zpssqjaby2s.jpg

Cockpit from the side, sorry its blurred

IMG_1266_zpsqh9rhkby.jpg

I have added side cockpit decals & still have a HUD to make & fit.

• Like 2

Having encountered some stability issues when the new super cruise engines were fitted, a twin tail configuration was tried & perfected. Also it was noted that the largest radar signature of the original TSR2 was from its intakes. Using RAM and other methods the radar signature was reduced.

Twin tails & intakes fitted, work to stealth them up continues.

Pics to follow.

Mrs H is more upset about the fact that I started off with a small corner of the room & now have steadily grown to claim the whole room as my man cave. "Off to the shed with you when we move" I keep hearing her say.

• Like 1

Mrs H is more upset about the fact that I started off with a small corner of the room & now have steadily grown to claim the whole room as my man cave. "Off to the shed with you when we move" I keep hearing her say.

You can get some very nice sheds for not a lot of money nowadays. My mate John would quite happily live in his if he could get a bed in with all his model making gear.

I keep looking at my Airfix 48th beast whenever i see a TSR.2 but then put it away again...

If you are making a Wild weasel SEAD variant i think there should also be a LOT of hardpoints, and having seen so many TSR2 models that (in my opinion) i think an elongated nose like rafharrier's one with a typhoon nose (google BAC TSR2 GR4) jut makes the jet look well... Mean yet beautiful at the same time.

Also i think an elongated nose is highly plausible, since, had it gone into service, it would have been given many upgrades, includong new radars!

Just a suggestion based on my personel opinion,you probably have other plans for the nose!

Chomp chomp

-raptor

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

All sprayed and chuffed to bits, only to find that the masks had left a sticky residue on the paint. Tried gently rubbing with some white spirit.

This lifted the sticky & also the paint where I was a bit heavy handed. Guess Im going to have to do some serious weathering.

IMG_1328_zpsy7oz006j.jpgIMG_1329_zps3volx1xu.jpgIMG_1330_zpssphcoswe.jpg

• Like 7