Starter set group build chat

Sign me up, I have a few of these sitting around.

Just for clarification purposes. This is limited to the Startsets only? So the Dogfight Doubles and Gift sets are out of the question? They are essentially the same thing when you think about it, just costs a wee bit more (unless you get them in the sale! ;) ). Also this is a weird one, if you choose to build two sets, would it be okay to mix the paints from one model to the other? I did skim the other posts but saw no reference to them, if it's been asked before, please accept my apologies.

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Edit : I see Airfix are releasing the Vulcan to the Sky set again... bet that guy who paid £100-odd is kicking himself now...

Edited by Dazzio

Sign me up, I have a few of these sitting around.

Just for clarification purposes. This is limited to the Startsets only? So the Dogfight Doubles and Gift sets are out of the question? They are essentially the same thing when you think about it, just costs a wee bit more (unless you get them in the sale! ;) ). Also this is a weird one, if you choose to build two sets, would it be okay to mix the paints from one model to the other? I did skim the other posts but saw no reference to them, if it's been asked before, please accept my apologies.

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Edit : I see Airfix are releasing the Vulcan to the Sky set again... bet that guy who paid £100-odd is kicking himself now...

Was going to ask the same thing, im thinking it is just going to be the starter kits which is no bad thing

Also the paint, are we allowed to use thinners if needed? I remember them having separated quite badly in the past.

Oh, im in BTW. Need to decide what to get.

Just for clarification purposes. This is limited to the Startsets only? So the Dogfight Doubles and Gift sets are out of the question? They are essentially the same thing when you think about it, just costs a wee bit more (unless you get them in the sale! ;) ). Also this is a weird one, if you choose to build two sets, would it be okay to mix the paints from one model to the other? ...

A couple of good questions there.

My view is, [and remember I'm not a leader on this]

The 'gift sets' muddy the waters. They are rather like bigger starter sets. My Spitfire/109E DFD only has eight paints, basically the same ones if each kit was a small starter set.

As for paints; just what comes with that model, or in that box.

Thinners I reckon ok as most of the paints are acrylic and just need water, the same water to wash the brushes in.

I think its easier to just say the Airfix "starter sets" or Revell "Model Sets"/KitPaks" or kits or a similar ilk .Its meant to be a quick fun build like we did when we were kids.

So what you get in the pack along with your finest water paint mixing tray and water bowl and a sharp pointy cutty thing. Not sure on how things like Decal fix etc will play but melting the sprues or making the into a goo I cant see a problem with.

We allowed to sand/file things?

Yes the Dogfight Double kits do usually contain acrylic paint, glue and paintbrushes. I have two DD kits.

I think its easier to just say the Airfix "starter sets" or Revell "Model Sets"/KitPaks" or kits or a similar ilk .Its meant to be a quick fun build like we did when we were kids.

So what you get in the pack along with your finest water paint mixing tray and water bowl and a sharp pointy cutty thing. Not sure on how things like Decal fix etc will play but melting the sprues or making the into a goo I cant see a problem with.

We allowed to sand/file things?

From memory unless the hosts correct me, you are only allowed one grade of sandpaper. No files (metal or otherwise) are allowed. Neither are decal solutions such as Microsol, Microset are allowed. I think you can melt sprues if you want to do rigging or the antenna wire.

I think you can melt sprues if you want to do rigging or the antenna wire.

Presumably, we need to set light to the packaging to provide the flame for stretching the sprue, rather than use a candle !

Seriously I have a few eurofighter Typhoons starter kits that I got a while ago, the packaging looks a bit tired but the kit paints etc should be ok. Count me in, now to find them !

Cheers Pat

To clarify do the dogfight doubles or gift sets come with paint and glue? If so I guess you're in if not then no it has to be whats in the box thinners with airfix paint generally is water

Daz, as said previously, they do come with paints and glue. The only reason I ask is because in the DFD sets, theres two kits. So it'll be like two starter sets (hence the question about the paint too). The gift sets are more oftern than not bigger models, saying that I got the RAFBF Hawk set that could be used and the Mini/Fiesta one. Either way, I should have something floating around. :)

Kind Regards

Dazz

Presumably, we need to set light to the packaging to provide the flame for stretching the sprue, rather than use a candle !

Cheers Pat

Yep, that'd be the requirement, but you have to rub 2 bits of sprue together to make the heat to light the box - none of them newfangled Lucifers allowed!

;)

• Like 1

Yes the Dogfight Double kits do usually contain acrylic paint, glue and paintbrushes. I have two DD kits.

From memory unless the hosts correct me, you are only allowed one grade of sandpaper. No files (metal or otherwise) are allowed. Neither are decal solutions such as Microsol, Microset are allowed. I think you can melt sprues if you want to do rigging or the antenna wire.

Thats fine with me, one thing that occured to me, those of us making aircraft, we allowed nose weights? There will be a lot of tail sitters otherwise :doh:

I will throw this one to mish as well but to my mind yes nose weights would be acceptable but only readily available bits so no custom shaped after market ballast a bit of Bluetak and the like

Hopefully the Bluetak should cover it, I don't recall seeing a P-38 starter kit or perhaps avoid that type of plane for this GB.

Thats fair enough I was planning on using that stuff anyway. Also anyone being put off by tube glue the Revell kits come with Revell Contacta with has a fine needle nose

657-large1.jpg

Knight_Flyer, I was eyeing up the newer Airfix EE Lightning, from memory as a kid the old kit needed some nose weight.

Edited by Step

I was close to buying an Italeri Spitfire Vb starter set. My friendly local model shop keeper allowed me to peek inside the box. I found the kit to be made in rather nice azure blue plastic and including small pots of dark earth and midstone. Now those could be almost enough, but the lack of shade or even a possibility to mix one for the prop and wheels made me decide against it. I'll keep on searching...

Edited by vppelt68